General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

i need tips on how to buy a used car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
i need tips on how to buy a used car

Hi guys,

i need tips on how to buy used cars. what i should check first to choose a used 1 . its really risky to get 1 used cars. i have not much bucks.

please advise.

thanks!

jay
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: i need tips on how to buy a used car

they got topics about this all over google dude. lol
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

dont buy anything that has been modified not evan a intake.
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^lol. i would disagree. if you know how to determine a motors health without getting too deep into it you can purchase a car with all types of mods.. you really just gotta know what you are doing.
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

a compression test should give you an idea of the health of the motor. i would just take it to a indy shop to have a basic inspection if your not car savy
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

well if its modified with bolt ons it probably belong to a ricer that beat the **** out of it.
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

true story about the mods... dont get a modded car. you're just asking for it.

read this site... it's got everything you need: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

make sure you read everything (financing, inspection, negotiating, etc.)... there's even a section for used cars.
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

909 will become famous soon enough

DIY:

Look for :
runs in the paint - drips in the paint.
uneven unlevel seam gaps - doors, panels, hood, trunk
overspray - inside the fender, trunk spare tire
gaps in the dash, door panels, interior panels
rattles, shakes, wobbles,
aftermarket parts, anything non oem - glass, headlights, bumper, hood trunk fenders.
non smooth panels - cheese, bondo, sandpaper marks, wavey panels
lint in the paint, bubbles, fisheyes, dips.
check the cluster.

Engine:
Realistically you're going to open the hood and see nothing. If its super clean be cautious. Just look for oil leaks.

Best bet:

Hire a pro. There are companies, that for a small fee will check the entire car from bumper to bumper, do a compression test, tell you where a car's been hit, how its been hit, which panels have been painted, ect . Their fee will be a great tool for negotiating and will pay for itself 10X in savings ie... this part needs to be replaced, and this system needs servicing ect ect.

Second best bet:

Drive the car to a large reputable bodyshop, not a mechanic. A bodyshop can do almost everything a mechanic can do but they are much more experienced at looking for anything out of the ordinary. They will tell you exactly whats not original, and what you need to do about it. More importantly they will tell you if the car has been in an accident, where its been hit and how its been hit, and what work has been done.