General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Quick Question on 98 civic battery terminals

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PointNo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Quick Question on 98 civic battery terminals

Hi all, my 1998 civic dx has been stalling and will hesitate when i am at low rpms. A buddy of mine checked it out and told me the terminals on the battery were corroded. He thinks replacing them will help the issue...

I was wondering, should i replace the whole cable, or can i just get away with buying the terminal (end piece). And does the terminal piece just bolt or screw on, or will i have to cut the wire to put the new one on (dont have any wire cutters with me).

I was going to run to the store and get a replacement cable, but not sure which type i will need. looked under the hood, the cable runs down to the starter i believe and also has a wire going to the fuse box that is screwed down. This is the positive cable i'm talking about. the negative doesnt look so bad.

Thank you for any suggestions! (trying to avoid a trip to the mechanic if possible)
Old 12-30-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quick Question on 98 civic battery terminals

you can cut the stock wire and restrip it to use in the new terminal. or try to take the terminals off and clean the inside real good if possible. make sure they are tight when reinstalling.
Old 12-30-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PointNo1
Hi all, my 1998 civic dx has been stalling and will hesitate when i am at low rpms. A buddy of mine checked it out and told me the terminals on the battery were corroded. He thinks replacing them will help the issue...

I was wondering, should i replace the whole cable, or can i just get away with buying the terminal (end piece). And does the terminal piece just bolt or screw on, or will i have to cut the wire to put the new one on (dont have any wire cutters with me).

I was going to run to the store and get a replacement cable, but not sure which type i will need. looked under the hood, the cable runs down to the starter i believe and also has a wire going to the fuse box that is screwed down. This is the positive cable i'm talking about. the negative doesnt look so bad.

Thank you for any suggestions! (trying to avoid a trip to the mechanic if possible)
If the cable has heavy corrosion to the point that chunks are missing, then you have to replace it. I bought a new one off of majestic a while ago, or you can get one from a junk yard. Yeah, you can get one from autozone or whatever, but I like OEM. Why strip it? A waste of effort.

To clean the corrosion off the terminals, remove the wires and dip them in water + baking soda and scrub with toothbrush.
Old 12-31-2008

UUUYYY is an unknown quantity at this point
Brass air fittings

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu
Old 12-31-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Stupid bot.