General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.
View Poll Results: which is better
synthetic
75.81%
conventional
24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Poll...Synthetic or Regular?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gowen should not be trustedgowen should not be trusted
Poll...Synthetic or Regular?

Have a question for everyone. I am going to start doing my own oil changes and was wondering if it is worth it to do synthetic. If going synthetic I was going to use either Mobil 1 or Amsoil. What does everyone use? Do I have to use a special oil filter? What type of oil does everyone else use? Have you gone from regular to synthetic and noticed a difference? Do you still use 5w30 or go with a lighter/heavier weight? I have a 2003 LX with 150000 KM

Thanks guys!
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

speedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Poll...Synthetic or Regular?

first time i come back in months and i see a post like this...
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

gowen should not be trustedgowen should not be trusted

it's just a question

Last edited by gowen; 12-16-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gowen
Blow Me you ****ing fagget it's just a question
the hell is wrong with you man? stop talking like a little kid...relax..

and i use mobil one with a honda filter everytime. use oil that is recommended for your car. which if i remember correctly is someting like 5w20.
Old 12-16-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

its just that it doesn't sound like you did any searching around on the topic.... have you at all? i know there is plenty of threads about 'what motor oil do you use?'
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

also, the reason why speedricer said that is because this topic has been covered countless times and you could of got your answer by searching using the button up top.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

99civic99 is an unknown quantity at this point

make it easy for everyone use the oil recomended for your car, and fully synthetic is the way to go cost more but its already been proven to be worth it. helps your engine out a lot.
Old 12-16-2008
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

Hell I used to use royal purple w a hampa filter every 5000 miles w engine restorer and marvel mystery oil but now that the economy sux I'm running supertech 5w30 synthetic w stp oil additive from 8.66 a qt to 1.39 a quart oils oil imo
Old 12-16-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

Use regular no synthetic. its a damn honda civic. so what if you pick up 2hp or whatever, you still only have like 98hp. Dont waste your money.
Old 12-16-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i recommend valvoline conventional 5w30 with a K&N filter. i would not use synthetic even if it was free. if your car has over 50k miles, valvoline maxlife is great. put some LC20 in there and you have better oil than synthetic that lasts at least 10k miles and keeps the engine much cleaner. i change oil every 6 months or 6k miles just to be on the safe side. ive gotten upto 42 mpg on the highway using regular oil.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

Fox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i'm ordering some of that LC when i get some cash.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i recommend valvoline conventional 5w30 with a K&N filter. i would not use synthetic even if it was free. if your car has over 50k miles, valvoline maxlife is great. put some LC20 in there and you have better oil than synthetic that lasts at least 10k miles and keeps the engine much cleaner. i change oil every 6 months or 6k miles just to be on the safe side. ive gotten upto 42 mpg on the highway using regular oil.
i want to know by what basis can you say taht it runs cleaner?

how do you know that it's better than synthetic.

the claims u make are quite ludicrous without any facts.

also you can't base your gas milleage solely on the oil you use.
Old 12-16-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i can't rehash everything for you, so if you're interested, go on bitog (bobistheoilguy) forums and look at all the amazing oil analyses done with and without the lc20. it even beats many full synthetics in terms of how "fresh" the used oil was at 10k miles. lc20 also reduces oxidation of oil while it sits, otherwise you quickly lose the additive packages contained in most oils, and the oil will break down more rapidly. before i used lc20, i could not get more than 38 mpg highway on the same road. after a couple months of lc20 in the oil, no other mods, i got 40-42 mpg consistently. just my experience. i opened the valve cover recently and everything looks like brand new inside. by better than synthetic, i meant that conventional with lc20 lubricates parts more easily since the extra carbon is actually dissolved into a graphite based compound that adds extra lubrication, and also the conventional oil "sticks" to moving parts longer and reduces wear on cold starts. lc20 makes the car run cleaner by improving the combustion process and reducing emissions, also proven in before/after testing. adding fp-plus to the gas works as an extra improvement by making sure injectors and the entire fuel system is clean and working properly.

Last edited by gearbox; 12-16-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

7th_gear will become famous soon enough7th_gear will become famous soon enough

i can't rehash everything for you, so if you're interested, go on bitog (bobistheoilguy) forums and look at all the amazing oil analyses done with and without the lc20. it even beats many full synthetics in terms of how "fresh" the used oil was at 10k miles. lc20 also reduces oxidation of oil while it sits, otherwise you quickly lose the additive packages contained in most oils, and the oil will break down more rapidly. before i used lc20, i could not get more than 38 mpg highway on the same road. after a couple months of lc20 in the oil, no other mods, i got 40-42 mpg consistently. just my experience. i opened the valve cover recently and everything looks like brand new inside. by better than synthetic, i meant that conventional with lc20 lubricates parts more easily since the extra carbon is actually dissolved into a graphite based compound that adds extra lubrication, and also the conventional oil "sticks" to moving parts longer and reduces wear on cold starts. lc20 makes the car run cleaner by improving the combustion process and reducing emissions, also proven in before/after testing. adding fp-plus to the gas works as an extra improvement by making sure injectors and the entire fuel system is clean and working properly.

yeah what he said!
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

99civic99 is an unknown quantity at this point

True true i get you when you say its a honda and that you dont need synthetic, im only 17 so when i change my oil ive been told to get the best for your engine. up till now thats been fully synthetic because it reduces friction keeping parts lasting longer and running smoother, i never did try to get any horsepower out of my oil. I just need it to keep the engine healthy. So it looks like ima have to take your word and try out this lc20.
Old 12-16-2008
Premium Member

dont take my word, im just a guy on a forum. go do the research and see for yourself why fleets of trucks and cars have been using it for 40+ yrs to reduce costs and lower maintenance. theres lots of info on the lubecontrol.com site, as well as bitog and other forums. almost everyone who used it noticed some sort of difference, whether it be better gas mileage, smoother idle, or faster acceleration. if you are set on running synthetic, the lc20 will still work with it.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough

I would say use Conventional for conventional driving. I'm pretty sure a lot of people here bang on their motors and for that should use Synthetic. If you drive everywhere like your doing a time attack then, Synthetic is the way to go because of reduced friction but at the same time it only last longer if you drive normal. If your hauling *** all the time then, change it every 3500 miles or before. Also if your car has conventional oil in it now then, you would need to get it flushed for Synthetic or it's pointless and will do nothing untill you've changed it like five times before it will take effect. Use an additve like Lucas oil treatment or Zmax. They bond better to the metal surfaces. Also, I think there is something called B&G treatment. From what I understand is the best way to go but, haven't tried for myself yet.

Last edited by 99WhiteJDM; 12-16-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

If you pee in your oil it will go faster too, try a 60/40 mix of urine-oil

if you believe that then you deserve to pee in your car.
Old 12-16-2008
Premium Member

please don't put any additive you can buy at the auto store in your car
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

please don't put any additive you can buy at the auto store in your car

really? even like fogger oil for storage? stabilizers? things like that?
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough

OK, flame away but, you can only go by word of mouth from what someone said in a write up. There is a reason for R&D and you guys don't have the funds nor the brains to actually disprove these products. I can only say that it works because I've tried all kinds of stuff and these additives worked for me.These people make a crap load of money because it works. Now, most of the Honda motors I've owned had above average miles when I bought them so I could be wrong when it comes to lower mileage motors. I bought an 88 Civic LX with a 110xxx miles on it and drove it past 400xxx with the original motor in it before anything major ever went wrong with it. I had the head replaced on it and it went another 100xxx before I decided to swap the motor for more performance when I started to get into the import scene.

If you made millions of dollars off of an additive you discovered through a lot of R&D, I would probably try it but, you didn't so I would rather take their word for it.
Old 12-16-2008
Premium Member

i wouldnt take someones word for anything. i like to see what other people have found after using it, and more importantly what lab tests show. if you believe everything you see or are fed by advertising, you'd still think K&N makes good air filters. truth is most of the products out there today are a total joke. i dont even know how zmax and many of those other products are even allowed to be sold, after many tests (and court cases) proved they falsified all the claims.

oh look, a lawsuit against zmax. " motor oil treated with zMax actually produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil by itself."

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters...additives.html

i can dig up this stuff all day. bottom line, do some research and make sure you are using the right stuff that wont harm your car. it even says in the owners manual not to use any gas or oil additives. the only products i would ever recommend are lubecontrol FP and LC, and auto Rx (which i havent used). everything else is junk and could make things worse.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cwo715
Hell I used to use royal purple w a hampa filter every 5000 miles w engine restorer and marvel mystery oil but now that the economy sux I'm running supertech 5w30 synthetic w stp oil additive from 8.66 a qt to 1.39 a quart oils oil imo
Yeah, that's all I can afford right now too. I just bought a D15B7 trany, rebuilt axles, and exedy clutch kit and now I have no moneys. And I still gotta replace my cracked header with an EX setup. The projects never end.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 7th_gear
If you pee in your oil it will go faster too, try a 60/40 mix of urine-oil

if you believe that then you deserve to pee in your car.
Can I pee in your car?
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

i wouldnt take someones word for anything. i like to see what other people have found after using it, and more importantly what lab tests show. if you believe everything you see or are fed by advertising, you'd still think K&N makes good air filters. truth is most of the products out there today are a total joke. i dont even know how zmax and many of those other products are even allowed to be sold, after many tests (and court cases) proved they falsified all the claims.

oh look, a lawsuit against zmax. " motor oil treated with zMax actually produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil by itself."

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

http://www.pecuniary.com/newsletters...additives.html

i can dig up this stuff all day. bottom line, do some research and make sure you are using the right stuff that wont harm your car. it even says in the owners manual not to use any gas or oil additives. the only products i would ever recommend are lubecontrol FP and LC, and auto Rx (which i havent used). everything else is junk and could make things worse.
Well it was just a suggestion. Should people take your word for using LC20? NO. I only used Lucas every other oil change and Zmax a couple times and never saw any bad effects from the 88 Civic I used to have. All I know is it went over 500xxx miles And the motor didn't have to be replaced. With the past 5 Hondas/Acuras I've owned I only used synthetic or high mileage oil. I never fix something that isn't broken but, with that 88 back in the day it seemed to be running better with the additives because at that time it was running more sluggish from high miles and old age and it worked better with them in. With the Civic I have now, I only use synthtic and 93 or higher octane. Should I have just said that?
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Can I pee in your car?
From the way it sounds with your car, it runs like crap. This is conversation for adults not children.
Old 12-17-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 99WhiteJDM
From the way it sounds with your car, it runs like crap. This is conversation for adults not children.
Maybe you shouldn't try to ascertain other peoples totality by the 2 posts that they write. This says more about you than it does me.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 12-17-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Maybe you shouldn't try to ascertain other peoples totality by the 2 posts that they write. This says more about you than it does me.
Nevermind.
Old 12-17-2008
Registered!!

Easy now. If Peeing in my car will make this stop, pee away, just shake it IN the tank for me, I dont need trickle on my side.
Old 12-17-2008
Registered!!

so we'll agree that for the average everyday car driver that conventional will do just fine, regardless of brand because the thread isn't "whats the best kind of conventional or synthetic oil?" for Jerry the racecar driver, conventional is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Poll...Synthetic or Regular?