General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

My exhaust manifold is cracked.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
My exhaust manifold is cracked.

I took off the heat shield for the first time in 3 years of owning the car, and there's a fat crack running through it. I would get whifs of fuel smell in the engine bay and it was always suspicious to me, but there was always something else to fix so I didn't want to open a can of worms.

What kind of symptoms would this cause? Given that there are 2 O2 sensors hooked up to it, do you think it relates to my intake air control system error? IAC received feedback from those 2 sensors if I'm not mistaken. Also, why the hell did it crack? That's bullshit. That should be a high priority area but instead they decided to cut corners with cast iron.

So what should I do? Get a used one? The problem is that I think it's integrated with the CAT, and then there are the 2 02 sensors.

Old 09-20-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: My exhaust manifold is cracked.

the crack could have damaged teh 02 sensor...thats bout the only way it would be related to ur errors.

it cracked beause it gets old...alot of use....alot of factors could have played....hot/cold weather, cold starts, long useage...etc
Old 09-20-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
the crack could have damaged teh 02 sensor...thats bout the only way it would be related to ur errors.

it cracked beause it gets old...alot of use....alot of factors could have played....hot/cold weather, cold starts, long useage...etc
They could have made it aluminum.
Old 09-20-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

they also could have offered more engine-chassis combos like they do in other countries (k20 in the ES1, D17/D16 in the 02-05 EP1,2,3)

coulda...woulda...shoulda...

hindsight is 20/20

it's not going to solve anything. it's already been done. You can get an aftermarket one that still is carb legit and all.

the 01-05 coupes and sedans have plastic air intake manifolds...but i'm not complaining about that.
Old 09-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it cracks because of the heat shield
Old 09-21-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
They could have made it aluminum.
aluminum is too expensive for them....
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
it cracks because of the heat shield
How do you know this? More details please. 6th gen specific problem?
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
aluminum is too expensive for them....
Under the pre-conceived idea that they are trying to make everything as cheap as possible, your logic would make sense. However, they are manufacturing expenses all throughout the vehicle, particularly the engine bay. Although they do this intentionally so that you bring the car into Honda rather than working on it yourself, so it actually makes them more money and that's why they do it. For example, the fuel filter is 10 times more complicated than it needs to be, requiring a special machine to stamp the housing that holds it. The whole thing is absurd from an engineering p.o.v. though.

I guess my point is that there's no excuse for stuff like this anymore. It doesn't take a leap in evolution to figure out that a header is important and you don't skimp on it. All these technical problems with cars these days, many are manufactured. The corporations are just sticking it in our asses.
Old 09-21-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its just common knowledge i thought. applies to any car with a heat shield. You get less heat in the engine bay, but it stresses the header more. theres always a tradeoff in life
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Thanks. I will junk it. It makes sense. It's not like a heatsink which channels heat outward quickly and discipates it more effeciently. Rather, it jus traps it in there. What a bullshit concept. Why would it matter if there's more heat in the bay? Better MPG if anything...
Old 09-21-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Although they do this intentionally so that you bring the car into Honda rather than working on it yourself, so it actually makes them more money and that's why they do it.

For example, the fuel filter is 10 times more complicated than it needs to be, requiring a special machine to stamp the housing that holds it. The whole thing is absurd from an engineering p.o.v. though.

I guess my point is that there's no excuse for stuff like this anymore. It doesn't take a leap in evolution to figure out that a header is important and you don't skimp on it. All these technical problems with cars these days, many are manufactured. The corporations are just sticking it in our asses.
calm down already... what says you can't work on your own car? your car is over 10 years old, so it's not under any warranty...
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

valenzuela should not be trustedvalenzuela should not be trustedvalenzuela should not be trusted

your o2 sensor will be getting a false lean reading causing your computer to compensate by adding more fuel and decreasing fuel mileage
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, you need to chill out dude.

First of all if you made an exhaust manifold out of aluminum it would melt in about an hour, so I hate to tell you but Honda engineers are still smarter then you.

Second, exhaust manifolds have been cast for decades. Why? because they are easy to make consistenly, can be packaged much neater into an engine bay, and can be formed into intricate shapes much easier than machined and welded parts.

Third, All exhaust parts eventually crack due to heat cycling, whether its a header, cast manifold, inconel, titanium, it doesnt matter. They all fail eventually. If you drive a car for long enough, you will need to fix something, everything deteriorates.

Honda parts are much higher quality than probably 80% of all manufacturers. I've had the joy of working on many cars and Honda is somewhere in my top 3 of vehicles I'd wanna work on.

BTW, they don't make fuel filters the way you want them to because they don't want you don't catch on fire and so people don't file class action lawsuits.

Honda should hire you, you seem to have it all figured out, hahahaha.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by manahoonie
calm down already... what says you can't work on your own car? your car is over 10 years old, so it's not under any warranty...
I'm always calm. Annoyed? Often, but always calm. And you missed the point.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
Wow, you need to chill out dude.

First of all if you made an exhaust manifold out of aluminum it would melt in about an hour, so I hate to tell you but Honda engineers are still smarter then you.

Second, exhaust manifolds have been cast for decades. Why? because they are easy to make consistenly, can be packaged much neater into an engine bay, and can be formed into intricate shapes much easier than machined and welded parts.

Third, All exhaust parts eventually crack due to heat cycling, whether its a header, cast manifold, inconel, titanium, it doesnt matter. They all fail eventually. If you drive a car for long enough, you will need to fix something, everything deteriorates.

Honda parts are much higher quality than probably 80% of all manufacturers. I've had the joy of working on many cars and Honda is somewhere in my top 3 of vehicles I'd wanna work on.

BTW, they don't make fuel filters the way you want them to because they don't want you don't catch on fire and so people don't file class action lawsuits.

Honda should hire you, you seem to have it all figured out, hahahaha.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by valenzuela
your o2 sensor will be getting a false lean reading causing your computer to compensate by adding more fuel and decreasing fuel mileage
Interesting.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

obisteve is an unknown quantity at this point

My 97 civic has the same problem. The exhaust manifold cracked twice! However, I found out the factory had a recall on the manifold. So, I had it repaired twice for free plus they gave me a set of new plugs and wires. Hope this will solve your problem.
Old 09-22-2008
Premium Member

as for more heat in the engine bay, you dont want it getting too hot cause there are important wires and sensors. alot of things in there dont like excessive heat. battery for instance, my hid ballasts, etc
Old 09-22-2008
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

My manifold did this same thing on my 02 LX. It also made the car sound like a lawnmower. putter putter putter instead of a constant exhaust sound. Bought new exhaust setup...sounds went away.
Old 09-22-2008
Premium Member

the 01-05 lx have serious issues with cracking. prolly due to the cat being part of the manifold
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

JrBK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by obisteve
My 97 civic has the same problem. The exhaust manifold cracked twice! However, I found out the factory had a recall on the manifold. So, I had it repaired twice for free plus they gave me a set of new plugs and wires. Hope this will solve your problem.
Do you have details on the recall? Is there a website that you can refer us to?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by obisteve
Replaced with what? An updated type of manifold?
Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
as for more heat in the engine bay, you dont want it getting too hot cause there are important wires and sensors. alot of things in there dont like excessive heat. battery for instance, my hid ballasts, etc
So what are you saying, don't remove heat shield? I really doubt that would factor too much.
Old 09-27-2008
Premium Member

nah it still gets really hot anyway to be honest. heat shield wont do much. engine gives off alot of heat too and it all builds up
Old 09-27-2008
Registered!!

Does anyone know if all D series headers are interchangeable? For example, I've read that a D series 5th gen header will fit a 6th gen.
Old 09-27-2008
Registered!!

AntiLoop will become famous soon enough

just get some new decent performance headers...
Old 09-27-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AntiLoop
just get some new decent performance headers...
Can't I'm broke. Found a guy on craigs list who has an OEM one which I haggled down to $25. Gonna check it out in a couple hours...
Old 09-27-2008
Registered!!

colourwolf will become famous soon enough

you just need wait for a good deal to come up.

I got my DC header used for under 100$.....saving $$ for brand new Magnaflow and high flow Cat . Then I m all set
Old 09-27-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by colourwolf
you just need wait for a good deal to come up.

I got my DC header used for under 100$.....saving $$ for brand new Magnaflow and high flow Cat . Then I m all set
You can't put new headers on DX's and such. They use a one-piece header/cat combo. It's bollocks. Maybe you can swap the whoe front exhaust system for an EX style, but I doubt it. And the specs would be different too I imagine.