General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY Reverse Indiglo Gauges (with pics! again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Post DIY Reverse Indiglo Gauges (with pics! again)

Here was my project for the last couple weekends. I have a 2002 sedan, but I am guessing there isn't too much of a difference between the 7th gens. There was a lot of info I found doing a search here, but they were a bit scattered. Besides, my DIY has pics! (note - these pics are of the gauges after they were in already)

What you need

-Philips head screwdriver (preferably a long and short one)

-Knife/Boxcutter

-Electrical Tape

-Grounding wire 'tab' (see step #11)

-Double-sided tape

-A couple hours or so

Here we go...

1. Unscrew the 2 screws at the top of the gauge cluster.

2. Start pulling the black trim off from the top so you'll have some finger room to yank the whole thing off. There are two clips and some glue that attaches the trim to the cluster at the bottom. The trim seems pretty strong and bendable, but be careful not to break it anyhow. Something that may help is if you stick the screwdriver at the bottom of the trim, to give it some separation from the dash.

The glue and clip on dash behind trim.

The clip on trim.

3. After you get the black trim off, you will see the gauge cluster attached to the dash by 3 screws. 1 up top and two at the bottom corners. Unscrew them and pull the cluster towards you from the top.

4. Remove the blue and green connectors and take out the gauge cluster. Should probably bring the whole thing inside to avoid wind and dust.

5. Release the clips and remove the clear plastic and black trim from the gauge cluster.

6. Now its time to put on the gauges. This is actually pretty easy but you do need to be careful. I would recommend not removing the needles. Some people say they had no problems after removing the needles, but I hear if 'calibration' on the needles are messed up, you need to buy yourself a new cluster. There goes $500. It doesn't really matter which face you put on first. Might wanna do the right side since there is a extra (odometer) hole to work with. Work with the big needle first. Slide the face on until it reaches the black part in the center. You will notice hole doesn't seem big enough. Slide the face under the black part, and you will gain a little more room, but still not enough. Now, I just forced the needle through the hole. The needles actually feel pretty strong, but you still would want to be as gentle as possible. Do the same for the other needles. And don't worry about moving the temp and gas needles (clockwise). They actually have an internal 'stop' so it shouldn't drop further (counter-clockwise) than 'factory settings.' I decided not to test the strength of the 'stop' incase it wasn't that strong.

Congrats! You have completed the 'hardest' part!

7. Now you have yourself a few options. First, you can keep the new gauges as is. I would strongly suggest you use some double-sided tape to tape the sucker down though. Else you might find yourself some problems.

If you keep the gauges as is, some of the white parts of the face covers up the lighting on the gauge cluster. (key-in-ignition light, hand-brake light, cruise control light, etc) You can still see it, but it's just 'clouded'. Only problem is, you really can't see it when the sun's out. I tried using cruise control during the day and could only see the light if I really tried looking for it. I'm not sure what other lights are used in that area, so I figured to make everything fully visible.

8. Now, just put everything back together. You may wanna put a notch into the black trim (see step # 5) to give the new gauge wires some room. I cut out some notches in mine, but they were still a real tight fit.

After you put the gauge cluster back together, head back to the car.

9. Now its time to connect the inverter of the new gauges to the car. Take the red wire coming out of it and tap it to the red/black wire coming out of the blue connector. Just strip the red/black wire some and use some electrical tape. I think I might go in and use one of those wire tap clip things just so it's more 'clean.'

10. Find a place to put the inverter. I put mine behind the metal frame in the back. Nice place to tuck the wires as well. And look for a place to connect the grounding (black) wire as well. Just needs to be metal.

11. Attach the clips from the new gauges to the clips coming from the inverter. Re-attach the blue and green connectors to the gauge cluster. When connecting the green one, you will hear some clicking on the cluster. That is normal...I think. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Re-attach the gauge cluster to the car and attach the grounding wire. I used the bottom right screw on the cluster itself. You can just twist the wire between the head of the screw and the washer or use a 'wire tab' (the orangish thing).

12. Now, find a place to put your control tab for the gauges. It controls the color and brightness of the gauges, and it can get pretty bright when it's on. I snaked mine behind the steering column and into the coin tray. (remove the fuse box panel under the steering column) I can now see what I'm grabbing for.

13. Now, just sit back and enjoy!

Click Me for close up DIY pics (requires imagestation login)

-Kre

Edit : Fixed pics
Edit 2: fixed links again. Derek-CEO

Last edited by Derek-CEO; 08-16-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
hey thanks for the DIY, couple questions though, im really stupid when it comes to indiglos..... Do you have to take the factory faces out? and then put the indiglo faces on? and what happens to the orange backlight? is it still there?

thanks
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I have been wondering the same thing, as well where can I get one that has the km/h as large numbers and the mp/h smaller cause I am in Canada.

Looks good though, thanks for the DIY.
Old 04-02-2002
Premium Member

New gauges go over the factory ones. And from I remember, the factory ones cannot be removed.

Orange backlight - Are you talking about the coupe? The backlights for my gauges are yellowish and made the factory gauges bluish-green I think? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] I can kinda see the backlight at the edges of the new gauges still. You 'can' turn it down to just see the indiglo lights only, but that would mean all your dash lights will dim (needles, gear, etc)

-Kre
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

silvervtec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
the oem gauges remain unless ur can get very creative and also know how to recaliberate your needles. just put some thin double sided tape or temporary glue behind the aftermarket gauges and then slide em over the needles. very simple. the oem gauges will remain lit up underneath the aftermarket gauges, but its not noticable unless you mount them wrong....
Old 04-02-2002
Premium Member

<< Yeah I have been wondering the same thing, as well where can I get one that has the km/h as large numbers and the mp/h smaller cause I am in Canada.

Looks good though, thanks for the DIY.
>>

I remember someone asking about the km/h thing before, but I dont remember what they said about it. I'll try a search after lunch if I get the chance (at work right now)

-Kre
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Ichiban is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of gauges are they...they look really nice. I don't like the kind where the whole face lights up.
Old 04-02-2002
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
Geeeezzz! Got change?
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

thx1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanx a lot for that DIY !!! I finally got an idea on how big an issue this mod is. Doesn't seem to hard. Al I need now is to find a nice price for the right gauges (in Km/h and without the AT symbols)
Old 04-02-2002
Premium Member

Crashoveride

Rev ingidlos in KM/H???

AznThug08

Check it out at AutoDynamic.com

Blk4blk2k1

And I'll be sure to be watching you around my car too. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] *makes note to count change after meet on Friday* [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

-Kre
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

form3hide is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm would a car shop install gauges for me? :scratches chin: the only thing i can work with is computers, everything else....someone else does it for me ;X
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Pyro is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know where i can find these for my 01 Manual trans LX? everything i find is for EX is htere a difference in the gauges?
Old 04-02-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Pyro: From what I recall, there is a differance with the Tach part on the gauges...the EX has a higher redline...?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

jaje is an unknown quantity at this point
the fuse cover panel underneath the steering wheel column is where i cut out a hole and mounted my indiglo controller

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] P4030028.JPG (17 Kb)
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Narflar is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Anyone know where i can find these for my 01 Manual trans LX? everything i find is for EX is htere a difference in the gauges? >>

On ebay. That's where I got mine. Linky
ks_sports is always selling LX gauges. If you can't find them just search his stuff. A lot of times his products won't show up in a regular search for some reason.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

PeArlHoNdA is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice, though i dont think ill be trying this one on my own...not good at this stuff. I did wanna ask if it shined more blue or green? im goin for blue in my ride and i love the gauges but if there is green it will turn me off. Do u know of gauges that glow a tight blue? would love the assistance. btw...great DIY my friend

PeArLhOnDa
Old 04-02-2002
AJ
Registered!!

AJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Well done thanx for the help peace
Old 04-02-2002
Premium Member

<< Very nice, though i dont think ill be trying this one on my own...not good at this stuff. I did wanna ask if it shined more blue or green? im goin for blue in my ride and i love the gauges but if there is green it will turn me off. Do u know of gauges that glow a tight blue? would love the assistance. btw...great DIY my friend

PeArLhOnDa
>>

There is 1 shade of green and 4 shades of blue to choose from. The last pic in the DIY is the darkest blue. It's sweet, trust me. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Looks just like the pic in person..maybe a little brighter is all. If I get a chance to use my friend's digicam again this weekend, I'll take pics off all 5 colors.

You and form3hide should go for it yourselves. It really isnt that hard. Only part that was a bit tough was removing the trim from the dash. Just give it a little muscle and it'll pop out. And once you get the first needle in, the rest are easy. I was actually pretty rough putting them on but everything turned out fine. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

And thanks for all the s guys. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

-Kre
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
hey man.. those look freaking sweet.. where did you get yours? i checked autodynamic and they only have the reverse indiglo's for the manual... i've been looking everywhere for those.. thanks

andy
Old 04-03-2002
Premium Member

I got mine at AutoDynamic for $80. That site has changed ALOT since I bought the gauges. Havent really looked at it that much lately since they dont really have the mods I'm looking into right now. I do remember seeing a site which sold them for $60. I'll post if I can find it again.
----------------------

Weird. Site just reverted back to how is was originally.

Here's the link to gauges

-Kre
Old 04-03-2002
Premium Member

Found them

mb autosport $65

Also found these. Different sort of gauges

Wholesale Hyperformance

HTH

-Kre
Old 04-03-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

Okay I want some guages, but I don't know where to find em...nor do I know what they are called...reverse, indiglo...whatever!

I want some gauges that are white faced, and during the night, all that shows up are the numbers in red or white...

Not blue, not green, not blue-green....either red or white...is there a such gauge out there for a LX auto?
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
krepoort. i love you!!
Old 04-03-2002
Premium Member

Old 04-03-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

Krepoort: Do you know of any gauges like what I described in my last post?
Old 04-03-2002
Premium Member

Looked around a bit but didnt find what you are looking for. Try Wholesale Hyperformance. They got a bunch of gauges without pics, so try contacting them. I only glanced at the gauge descriptions without pics so I might be totally wrong...but it's a start.

jaje - Nice placement

-Kre
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

oblivious9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out Nopi.com. They have indiglo & reverse indiglo guage faces.

As for installation...unless you know what you're doing, i wouldn't advise diy. The needles on the guage cluster have to be removed because honda didn't make them perfectly round. They have to be aligned perfectly once the guage faces are applied so not to mess up your rpm & most importantly you're speed reading. My b/f's dad works at a place that installs h/u's, sound systems, and works on car dashes so he was able to do it for me.
Old 04-03-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

Umm when you buy most guages, you can just slip them over your old ones......no need to mess with the needles....
Old 04-03-2002
Premium Member

<< 6. Now its time to put on the gauges. This is actually pretty easy but you do need to be careful. I would recommend not removing the needles. Some people say they had no problems after removing the needles, but I hear if 'calibration' on the needles are messed up, you need to buy yourself a new cluster. There goes $500. nono; It doesn't really which face you put on first. Might wanna do the right side since there is a extra (odometer) hole to work with. Work with the big needle first. Slide the face on until it reaches the black part in the center. You will notice hole doesn't seem big enough. Slide the face under the black part, and you will gain a little more room, but still not enough. Now, I just forced the needle through the hole. The needles actually feel pretty strong, but you still would want to be as gentle as possible. Do the same for the other needles. And don't worry about moving the temp and gas needles (clockwise). They actually have an internal 'stop' so it shouldn't drop further (counter-clockwise) than 'factory settings.' I decided not to test the strength of the 'stop' incase it wasn't that strong. >>

Did you just not read the DIY oblivious9? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

The only experience I had was watching my boy do it on his 97 DX.

-Kre
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

PeArlHoNdA is an unknown quantity at this point
Well i think the DIY is phat, and the gauges look hella cool. Im just nervous bout messin with my car like that. I mean, ive done a lot of DIY's and im very proud but some stuff, i dunno, just feel better shelling out the cash for a pro ya know?

maybe ill grow some ballz in the next week when i start moding the car..........MAYBE

VERY tight Kre

PeArLhOnDa

Quick Reply: DIY Reverse Indiglo Gauges (with pics! again)