General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Backfiring Already?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoBBUsaF is an unknown quantity at this point
Backfiring Already?

It seems like I have some issues with my car but dont want to confront them cuz ... yea. Anyway, i have about 10 k miles and ever so often my car will backfire... (that big explosion noise from the exhaust) Also, when I'm cruisin' and step on the gas, it's as though I'm flooding the engine almost cuz it boggs or whatever. Ya know what I mean? Like, it kinda gurgles then picks up... I'm not thinking I need new plugs already but I guess I should try that before I post this. Oh well, anyone know what could be causing it? Thanks
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

TYPE7RS is an unknown quantity at this point
one of your plugs might be misfireing, but you're right, take a look at your plugs and replace if need be. If that doesn't work, get back on the forum.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Edge is an unknown quantity at this point
I think its the spark plug dude, I have the same problem in my old car. well.......... check it anyway [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Thanks!!, I'll try getting new plugs... What kind, NGK?
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait..I have an amazing Idea.. Take back to the dealership because that's definately a warranty issue!!!!!

Don;t touch it yourself..because then the dealer will say you are responsible for the problems..

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

They are just gonna gimme sh*t like all dealers do when you mod up their cars you buy. They'll blame it on my cai or some crap but I guess it's worth a try. I'll let ya know...
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Ichiban is an unknown quantity at this point
It happens to me when I'm low on gas maybe its because the ECU restricts the gas flow then its almost empty and also my exhaust seems to be quiter when I'm low on gas.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Ok, so I went to Honda and they said that it's cuz the cai is making the throttle breathe a lot more and so it's running more lean. I asked, doesn't the ecu compensate for the air/fuel and he's like just add a shield to restrict so much flow and it will be fixed. It will also be fixed if I put my stock box back on but I'm like, "Yea... right..." I asked about the spark plugs and he said i dont need new ones til 105 k... Grrr... He wasn't an *** about it either. He told me that if those things didn't fix it, then he'll check the thing with that code thing. What do you think?
Old 04-02-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Ask him to prove to you that it's the CAI that's doing it.

By law, they have to PROVE that the CAI is causing the problem. And yes your ECU does compensate for the new air/fuel deal....you did reset your ECU after you installed the intake right.....?
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Yea, I reseted it... It reset when one of the battery terminals are disconnected, right? Thanks. I guess I'll go back there tomorrow or later today and ask him to prove it.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
cai making you run lean my a$$.....your comp. can compensate for that relatively small change in airflow no problem.....either your plug(s) are fu*ked, or the direct ignition system ain't working properly, or you've got an injector or fuel delivery problem.....maybe even a sensor problem, just hope it's not the mass air sensor on the cai, cause then they won't help you....otherwise they HAVE TO fix the problem....
Old 04-02-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
From what I recall...

Resetting the ECU (You might wanna do this again...):

-Disconnec the negative ( - ) battery terminal
-Let the car sit for about 10 mins
-Reconnect the negative ( - ) terminal again
-Start up the car but do not touch the gas pedal
-Let the car sit for about 5 mins
-Turn off the car
-Let the car sit for approx 1 min
-Turn on the car again

That's it...try it, it won't hurt anything...
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
to reset the ECU you have to discharge it's small internal battery.. which it will do itself over a matter of 10-15 minutes.. Disconnect the battery.. turn the ignition on.. wait a few seconds.. REMOVE the key.. re-connect the battery..
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

pichon is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a similar problem, but my car has a sort of "stutter" coming out of the exhaust. when i accelerate the stuttering is more scarce but its still there. unfortunately for me i think my problem is a little more severe, maybe bent valves can you guys give me some feed back??

ps... i already changed the spark plugs, reset the ECU, and added a bottle of VERY expensive fuel system cleaner.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
My car backfireed 1 time after I got exuast put on....And it was raining hard,,,,,,It made another sond like my cat hitting underneath the car.....
My dealer said it was the exauhaust shield.....I have been to lazy to check but I will when I take my car back in @ 15,000......
Is it constantly backfiring???????........if so that sucks....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

pichon is an unknown quantity at this point
its not actually a backfire, its more like a missfire. it souds like its...stuttering, honestly that is the best word i can use to describe it, but in retrospect i did remove the fuel injector filters, but i discarded that being the reason because i already had the injectors cleaned.

i'm writting jibberish...i'm just confused. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] And sad, my baby is sick and i don't know how to fix it.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

<< My car backfireed 1 time after I got exuast put on....And it was raining hard,,,,,,It made another sond like my cat hitting underneath the car.....
My dealer said it was the exauhaust shield.....I have been to lazy to check but I will when I take my car back in @ 15,000......
Is it constantly backfiring???????........if so that sucks....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
>>

man, you just reminded me... i had an integra before this car and one day i was driving and my car locked up. I had to get it towed over 200 miles... Anyway, it was the catalytic (sp) converter... Those honeycomb things inside somehow melted or just crumbled and blocked the passage way of the exhaust to get out and it did backfire and it did bog upon acceleration. It was a slow process too. Hmm... I wonder if that is happening again. I don't think so cuz i've only got 10k on my car. But yea, that backfire thing doesn't happen all the time. Now that I think of it, it was after the exhaust was put on and after it rained hard for a couple of days... Hopefully it goes away, ya know? Oh, the dealer said that without the engine light comming on, it isn't really a big concern. I guess he's right cuz it would be pretty hard to pinpoint the problem without having those codes that show up on their computers... as for pichon, i dont know if it is your valves or whatever but i dont think your valves could have bent ... Our cars are new... ya know?