General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Help on a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D16Z6_owner is an unknown quantity at this point
Help on a problem

so i go out to warm my car up for 10 mins because its cold and when i get ready to leave i notice a pretty nice black spot on the driveway where exhaust is coming out. the car has 211000 miles on it. would that be poor compression or a bad cat. i already know its unburnt something or another but any imput would be great
Old 10-15-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help on a problem

might just be old cat that had some of the catalyst fall off, and they need to be hot to work properly. even new cars the cat wont work for the first few mins, and the ecu dumps alot of fuel to make it warm up faster. if you let the car warm up full temp, and then let it idle and theres no black stuff, its a bad cat.
Old 10-15-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

wait, it's actually leaving residue on your driveway? or a black smoke cloud?
Old 10-15-2007
Registered!!

actual soot on the driveway. and my exhaust tip has a nice layer or the stuff caked on it too. and i barely passed emmissions
Old 10-16-2007

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

something is causing your car to run way rich, and your cat is most likely dead. do you have any CEL's?
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

no cel gas mileage is mid 20's in the city. pretty sluggish but i contribute part of that to it beaing an automatic. also when i look in my rearview when i get into vtec i see a cloud of black smoke......
Old 10-16-2007

does it have a really smooth idle? if so, youve definately got a high fuel trim problem. something is making your car think it's getting too much air, so it fattens up the AFR with more fuel to compensate. but the problem could be an endless list of things. im surprised you dont have a CEL on, then again, what is your model year?
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

if the cat was plugged youd end up with a hot floor board and an engine that couldnt or barely run.
If its leaving black soot on your drive way it could be that its running rich or a sign of a near dead engine as it is a high mileage engine?
No CEL is definetly interesting to me however as the ECU/PCM should have picked up on something?? odd??
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

idle is actually pretty good. sometimes when im at a stoplight i put my hand where the ebrake comes out and inside the space the air is a little warm. its a '93 civic ex sedan auto. (d16z6) i cleaned the vtec solenoid and IACV. apparently i have no EGR as i found as my honda savvy friend and i discovered..... acceleration is crappy. thats about all i can think of....
Old 10-17-2007

yea, obd1 cars arent very sensitive to excessively rich conditions. but you probably have a bad sensor somewhere like your MAP or primary o2, high fuel pressure, leaky injectors, leaking injector seals, leaky exhaust, a small vacuum leak, and the list goes on. Something is making the ECU think youve got more air coming in than you really do, so it's throwing in more fuel to compensate. this is a likely case assuming all your sensors and wiring are in good condition, or something is 'forcing' the car to run rich, like an injector hanging open or high fuel pressure from a bad pressure regulator. Id get a shop to hook up a scan tool and make sure all the sensor readings make sense. otherwise, check all your vac hoses for cracks or pinholes. wiggle your injectors too, if they are really loose, chances are air is getting in. sorry i cant provide you a straight answer.
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

just wondering?

wouldnt a vacuum leak be the cause of a LEAN mixture??
Old 10-17-2007

exactly, and the computer compensates to a lean mixture by throwing in more fuel. if the leak is small, the computer could be compensating enough that the motor wouldnt appear to have a vac. leak. if the leak is too big, the car will want to shut off, but we're talking brake booster hose sized leak. if it's small, like an injector seal, the computer could compensate enough for the smaller volume of air. and now that i think about it, this probably wouldnt drive the trims up far enough to make black spots on the driveway.

Last edited by skipbarber; 10-17-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

thats interesting. what about faulty grounds? my interior and exterior lights pulse and sometimes the battery light flashes.
Old 10-17-2007

your alternator belt might be a bit loose, or you might have a poor grounding issue, but i doubt it would cause the rich fuel condition.
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

id take it in if you dont have the tools such as:

Pull each plug out one by one checking the condition of the plug!
If one has excessive oil on it, dont assume its the cylinder gone bad right off the bat....it could be a dead plugwire?

Do a Compression test on all cylinders

slap a voltmeter on the battery with the car running, does it hold at 14.4v?
then hit the headlights, signals etc... does the battery go down but come back up compensating the losses? if not....Altenators shoty!
Otherwise maybe a new battery is in order?

Make sure connections, vacuum lines, etc are in good condition and installed right.

look for things, cracked, broken, leaky, etc...

Clean the TB out with throttlebody cleaner thats o2 safe.
Clean MAS sensor with it, this sometimes gets fouled after mileage and/or pre-oiled filters.

list goes on!
Old 10-18-2007

honda doesnt use MAF..

Last edited by skipbarber; 10-18-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

well how about the voltage regulator. the voltage is apparently going up and down causing the wierd light pulsing. could this variance of voltage be throwing the sensors off?
Old 10-18-2007

The ECU regulates voltage to the sensors, but if it's REALLY bad it could still be causing some problems.
Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

there is a sensor on my CAI pipe right before the TB, i believe thats a MAS.
Old 10-18-2007

^ok sorry, i suppose i need to specify for some people. up until recently honda only use MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSORS (MAP), but the introduction of the new FG/FA civic and the RDX brought in MASS AIR FLOW (MAF, not MAS btw) to the line up. but because the orginal poster has a pre obd2 car, i didnt think id have to be specific about this.

Last edited by skipbarber; 10-18-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2007
Registered!!

so im leaning toward tps or map sensor. im pretty sure the alternator is getting ready to die and i was planning on a new cat sometime soon anyways to try to fix the emissions problem. is there any other sensor that could throw something off like this?
Old 10-19-2007

yea, the primary o2 sensor could be fouled out, it most likely is if the cat is dead.
Old 10-19-2007
Registered!!

so do you think its the o2 sensor (my car only has 1) and what should i do about the cat go to autozone and buy the one for 200 bucks or get a high flow for 100 *****i found a cat at autozone for 70 bucks. it says its CARB legal so would it be ok?

Last edited by D16Z6_owner; 10-19-2007 at 07:48 PM.