General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

OEM or Sylvania Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SweetHondaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
OEM or Sylvania Silverstars

Hey guys, I know this topic has been talked about a few times but how do you guys feel about the sylvania silverstar bulbs? Are they worth the cost in upgrading if my stock bulbs work? How much brighter are they than stock?

Basically I want something brighter than stock, possibly with a slight blue tint.

I have searched the forums and have found a few things that describe the bulbs, but no real comments on them. I would appreciate any help on the subject.
Old 09-07-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
Re: OEM or Sylvania Silverstars

Its time u switch to HIDS now ~*~
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

miami_em2 will become famous soon enough

agreed^^^
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

Are the HIDs hard to install? How about cost?

I bought the silverstars tonight, but haven't installed them because I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the improvement over stock they make and it they are worth the cost.
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought silverstars last week. Bigger improvement over stock especially with visibility at night. I hear they don't last long though but that's yet to be seen. Whenever or if they blow time for HID's.
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

It sounds like a lot of people are going for HIDs instead, I don't have the cash to get HID's if they are super expensive.

Do the silverstars have a blue or white tint to them?
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

HID's are plug and play. They're so simple to install. IMO, don't get those blue blue blue HID's. They look to fake. Go for a more simple look, like 6000k or 8000k
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

where can you get HIDs for our cars?
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

search....any local shop should have them. I pad $200
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

This was just a quick search. I know you could find them cheaper

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=241
Old 09-07-2007
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute

i had silverstars and i loved em nuff said. but hids are wayyyy better
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

HIDs sound and look like a good option, but I don't wanna put that much money in it right now lol. Do the silverstars look bright white, or do they have any blue in them?
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough

for even better light output do a complete retrofit. you actually get less light output and more glare by putting hid bulbs in halogen headlights

edit:retrofit not for you then... costs a lot
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

yeah, it sounds like HIDs are a future project for me, right now, I'm gonna stick with the silverstars. I was just curious how bright they were and if they are worth the money.
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

redrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura about

I'm running Nokya Hyper Whites and love 'em. You can only use HID if you have PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS...otherwise the beam is ALL OVER the road...
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

eekicks is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing as how you dont want to but HID's right now the silverstars are a good choice. I put them in my g/f car and they have lasted for two years with dramatic improvement over stock. They do help a ton at night. Good Luck
Old 09-08-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

I had stock, then silverstar, and put HID in today. I paid 90 dollars for the HID kit (very cheap), and its better than the silverstars, but it wont be as precise. If you just want a small improvement, silverstars are the way to go. They are brighter, whiter, and overall better than stockers are. Im putting my old silverstars in my moms rav4 tomorrow she has wanted them for quite some time now. I used mine for about 5-6 months and they worked great, no fading, never cut out, nothing. I got mine on sale for 27.99 on sale. Great bulbs
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

I'm pretty sure they won't because they don't pull any more current I think, but can the silverstars harm the wiring connecting them? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to lighting.
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

No the silverstars will not harm the harness. It only occurs when you put a higher wattage bulb in place of them. If you do decide to go HIDs in the future, be sure to get a wiring harness too.
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

thanks for the help guys. I normally find good help on the forums here.
Old 09-08-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

i didnt like the silverstars.. pick up sum arctic white nokya bulbs for 35 bucks at a specialty shop... WAY WORTH IT.. better output than the silverstars, brighter, nice blue tint to them and at night the road is a nice color and eveyrthing is visible.. totally worth the 35$
Old 09-08-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sylvania silverstar is junk pure and simple. it has dark coated bulb with overdriven filament which barely makes it put out as much light as a clear stock bulb, with a slight whiter tint. average lifespan is less than 6 months.

oem bulbs are good, but there are decent upgrades. they have +50 clear bulb like osram silverstar, philips vision plus, and a few others that give maybe 100-200 extra lumen per bulb. not too great. there is also the catz zeta kit, which works extremely well as i can attest to. it wires directly to the bulb wiring and feeds the bulb a constant 15.4v which is a huge increase over what stock wires can give. even for our cars, with an upgrade harness, the bulb will never get more than 14v from alternator. and for $75, the zeta is well worth it imo. i tried it with the vision plus bulbs, but currently im using the special catz rev white H4-K bulbs which last 2x longer and have a light coating to make ground light pure white but keep the light above the cutoff yellow for less glare to traffic. now if you dont care about traffic, just throw an hid kit in. but if you do, its a different alternative.

here is zeta enhanced philips H4 VP+50 clear bulbs. please note, these pic are using Catz zeta enhancement, not stock output. Each time you turn the lights on, you will see the stock output for 2 secs before the boost kicks them brighter. you can really appreciate the difference it makes.

and here are the new bulbs im trying out from catz. im sure they are a tad dimmer than a clear bulb, but i love the way they look and the enhanced output still makes them pretty bright.

all pic are in the stock 01-03 H4 reflector housing with no additional mods. once you try the catz zeta, you'll wonder how you ever drove without it.

Last edited by gearbox; 09-08-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2007
diamonds she will pretty much have to

ex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the rough

gearbox is the authority on lighting, listen to him

i got the silverstars almost 2 years ago when one of my stocks went out. they definitely look whiter but i don't know if they're any brighter. i couldn't really tell a difference.
Old 09-08-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they are prolly +30 or +50 bulb but the coating robs any extra light they put out. this is so they can pass dot and be legal. i would say they are around same brightness as stock.

there is tons of info at danielsternlighting.com its where i learned alot of my info. he is like god of lights. and www.powerbulbs.com has alot of the good quality bulb i was talking about. if you must have a whiter light, then get something from reputable companies like osram cool blue, philips blue vision, etc. but keep in mind you will have slightly less light output since some is filtered out. the reason i went with those catz is they have alot less glare at the cutoff than oem, which allowed me to raise them a bit higher for more distance light.

here are some more pics i have around.

this is a stock unboosted H4 clear bulb

and unboosted philips XP +80 new bulb. i would not recommend boosting this due to the smaller capsule size and hotter filament. it might explode.

and some unboosted VP+50 bulbs

and finally pics of old catz rising white 4300k HID kit for stock H4 housing. prolly the best kit ever made. its pretty bright, but there are spots where light is missing or not evenly spread.

Old 09-08-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

gear u ever used nokya bulbs? whats ur take on them..

i lost 60 bucks on silverstars and another 70 on sum other "SUPER HYPER WHITE" brand, i know theyre crap. theyre just like oem. my friend put them on his 04 mustang after a wreck and i swear his output has since been worse..
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about

Nokya bulbs are not that great compared to stock bulbs.

Cool color? Yeah.
Better Visibility? Nope.

Most tinted bulbs are like tinted windows.
How many of us tint our windows for brighter sunlight?
Old 09-08-2007
Premium Member

true, the best compromise is find one with light coating if you want whiter light. i really like the catz bulbs. i was driving next to brand new bmw on a dark road and our color was pretty much the same until he got up to my bumper and you could see his beam outshine mine. so i mean dont expect hid brightness, but its still great for halogen setup. i also tried the yellow capsule over H4 clear bulb and it wasnt too bad, but obviously less bright than stock. without the boosted output, i would say its almost too dangerous to drive with.

Old 09-08-2007
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

yea silverstars are good and all but they suck *** in the rain, like a heavy downpour, then wont show up. I had them and now i have McCulloch HID from a group by on honda-tech, i paid 189 shipped for them (5500K), like miami em2 said. 5000k to 6400k is the best because its whats used in lexus, infiniti, acura etc, color looks cool but why not look good and have something practical.
Old 09-08-2007
Premium Member

wow you overpaid. its all the same stuff and one brand is the same as the next. anything over $125 is too much. and oems use 4100-4200k color temp. anything above and you start to lose output. oem 4200k is 3400 lumen per bulb, 6000k drops down to 2400 lumen. a good halogen setup can push 2000 lumen per bulb, so youre not gaining anything going with a higher kelvin color. and 8000k and above will be dimmer, yes dimmer, than halogen depending on the car.
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about

Hey Gearbox do you have any experience with HIR headlights?
www.hirheadlights.com

I know they don't have H4 but this is for my tC.

Quick Reply: OEM or Sylvania Silverstars