General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HID question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02Honda2Tone is an unknown quantity at this point
HID question?

I recently purchased a H1 10000K HID kit for a set of Black Housing TYC Projector Headlights for a 2002 Honda Civic EX. However, the actual HID bulb is just a bit too wide to fit through the hole. Has anyone experienced this same problem? What HID bulb kits have you guys used on projectors? Help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-05-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Re: HID question?

dont do it... sell the kit back... the light will look horrible. do your research on HID in halogen bulbs... i think this will get locked so ibtl
Old 06-05-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yea you need to do some shaving of the socket so it fits. people have done it, its easier to take them apart and do it, and then you can clean up the shavings that may fall in.
Old 06-05-2007
Registered!!

Maiko25 is an unknown quantity at this point

i hope u bought the real kit not those made in germany crap
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

Robin786 is an unknown quantity at this point

To tell you the truth, TYC projectors output the light way better with the halogen bulb it was designed for. Simply putting an H1 HID bulb in the place of the halogen one simply ruins the focal design the projector was made for centering around the halogen bulb. This is evident in the form of hotspots and glare, the cutoff will not even be straight. If you want to go the HID route, I suggest the Valeo HID projector or H7 halogen projector (the H7 is one of the rare few halogen projectors that can handle HID light quite well) as this brand can fit inside the TYC housing with little to no difficulty.

Trust me I know from experience never to put HID in TYC halogen projectors, I wish I still had that 175 bucks...oy.

Last edited by Robin786; 06-11-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: adding words.
Old 06-11-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

to make it work, you need to shave the hole a little.. you also need to tweak the shield (or lens) a little to make the cutoff nice and straight. otherwise your cutoff will look atrocious.. when i ripped open my headlights, i just made a spacer to lift the lens off the base about a quarter inch.. it pretty much did the trick and at 25 feet i have a nice blue cutoff line..

not to mention you're probably not going to be able to see much with a 10000k kit..
Old 06-11-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

tyc projector is garbage plain and simple. it looks like a big fog light projector with tons of hot spot with halogen bulb. its safe to drive with, just dont expect full road coverage. the places where there is light tho are brighter than stock headlight.
Old 06-11-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
tyc projector is garbage plain and simple. it looks like a big fog light projector with tons of hot spot with halogen bulb. its safe to drive with, just dont expect full road coverage. the places where there is light tho are brighter than stock headlight.
exactly. my Bosch fog projectors put more light out.
Old 06-11-2007
Premium Member

tyc looks like two flashlights pointed at the road. this is with +50 upgrade halogens in tyc, the best it gets.

Old 06-11-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

thats good to know man, i think imma go the TYC route, just cause like u said its brighter than stock in the place where there is light, and thats all i'm really looking for Like my oem doesn't get full road coverage either, but yeah i think imma get tyc then save up to retrofit it later on.

like the TYC's dont look that bad as compared to my stockers

Last edited by LT2004ever; 06-11-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2007
Premium Member

i preferred the stock tyc over stock reflector light. better in rain too cause the side hotspots would light up the sides of the road better so you know where the lane is. and also you gotta realize our H4 is a 1000 lumen bulb, whereas the H1 in the tyc is 1500 lumen. so theres a good difference right there. but if you decide later on you want better projectors, just swap the stock tyc with a valeo (halogen or hid). those fit right in with little modification. i actually used the tyc lens on my valeo projector for a better sharper cutoff. valeo comes stock with frosted lens which isnt as bright. here is another shot of tyc projector with h1 halogen +50 bulb in parking lot. the output is good in the hotspots, but there are still those holes.

Old 06-11-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

yea.. much like 2 flashlights.. this is what it looked like when i first put HIDs in.. mind you, it was aimed by eye instead of marking points on a wall.. i just made sure the projectors were level and somewhat straight.. and the cutoff looked horrible way back then..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground beam pattern.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	71444  
Old 06-11-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

i preferred the stock tyc over stock reflector light. better in rain too cause the side hotspots would light up the sides of the road better so you know where the lane is. and also you gotta realize our H4 is a 1000 lumen bulb, whereas the H1 in the tyc is 1500 lumen. so theres a good difference right there. but if you decide later on you want better projectors, just swap the stock tyc with a valeo (halogen or hid). those fit right in with little modification. i actually used the tyc lens on my valeo projector for a better sharper cutoff. valeo comes stock with frosted lens which isnt as bright. here is another shot of tyc projector with h1 halogen +50 bulb in parking lot. the output is good in the hotspots, but there are still those holes.

i thought our stock bulbs were 9004 not a h4???
Old 06-11-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

^stock headlights are 9003, which is the same thing as H4
Old 06-11-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by chawski
^stock headlights are 9003, which is the same thing as H4
oh ok, thanx for the clarification