General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Oil Gurus! Questions not answered regarding Synthetic oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
Question Oil Gurus! Questions not answered regarding Synthetic oil.

Upon many failed searches on the forum, I have yet to find a good solid answer. Compared to the XXXX km/mile standard oil change interval, does using a full synthetic blend such as Mobil 1, increase the mileage that I can drive or is this just a myth? What is the PROPER recommended interval for Synthetic?

**I could have missed my answer to this in the search**
Old 04-21-2007
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
Re: Oil Gurus! Questions not answered regarding Synthetic oil.

well the fact is that synthetic oil's don't have any wax in them unlike petroleum based oil's...the higher mileage comes from the lack of wax build up in the engine from constant heating and cooling...i use mobil1 5w-20 full synthetic with a mobil1 "extended performance" oil filter and it works great...i still change my oil every 3000 miles because no matter what oil, synthetic or regular, still has its limitations and changing it in early intervals will keep your engine healthy...they say 5000 or 7000 because they formulated and tested it on "most cars" without seeing much engine damage when you go that mileage without a change...i still tell people 3000 because the average person wont change their oil for around 5000 miles so if you use synthetic it wont cause build ups or damage (not saying that regular will either)
Old 04-21-2007
Boobies are the mans tinkertoys

dp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to beholddp_yz713 is a splendid one to behold

don't buy synthetic..........................only use petro oils (or my pockets will go dry )

Adding on to what raginSPAM said, you can run 5000 - 7000 miles on any oil. Although its not recommended to, you can. Once you get above that on cheaper oils you will notice build up quicker than the better oils. I still change it every 3000 though with Penzoil 5w-20.
Old 04-22-2007
Registered!!

Intercooler is an unknown quantity at this point

Read:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

I use 5W-30 Mobil 1 changed every 5k miles since it looks almost new when I drain it and I cut my changes in half from 3k miles with Dino. It is an Engineered oil and is the best in my books!

I think it is have to say you could go to 7k miles if on a tight budget or do a filter and top-off at 4k miles and run it to 7k miles to ease the budget. Great stuff!