General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Are Car Securtity systems easy to break into?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01SOHCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Are Car Securtity systems easy to break into?!

Well heres my story
Me i want to get alot of I.C.E but im afriad it will be stolen by thieves.Oh and i own a compustar anti theft system
heres the story my friends brother told me which is older said that my alarm is not all that good because his friend has a 2001 white prelude with the same alarm as me and even though he had it thieves still managed to get into his car and steal all his I.C.E
and i was just wondering WTF.and he said that the theives broke into his car and snip the horn? and i was like huh wtf
So Yeah is my alarm bad?!
or were they just professional car theives?!?!
and should i still get ICE
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point
anything can be broken into if someone really really wants to
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
yes they're really easy to beat.... sorry
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

bhayes82 is an unknown quantity at this point
the trouble with car alarms is that they do one thing only: BEEEP!!! BEEEEP!!! BEEEEP!!!

its become so commonplace that people tend to ignore them. police never get notified unless YOU actually happen to be nearby and hear your alarm go off. and then, the second problem: the cops. no offense intended towards any officers, but i think if i were a member of the police force, i'd place donuts as a higher priority than busting car stereo theives [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

why? robber breaks glass, alarm goes off. start counting... 10 seconds pass, you are miraculously in the area and beep up da po-po on yo' celly. another 20 seconds explaining the situation, 35 seconds total before cops are summoned. if you're in LA, cops MIGHT arrive in just over a minute if there's a patrol a few blocks away. but if you're in the 'burbs, it might be 10 minutes. regardless, the SOONEST is gonna be two minutes... and it only took half of that for the theif to grab your stuff and run. sure, you could confront him... but is it REALLY worth risking your life?

bottom line is a car alarm of any type is gonna deter a casual thief that goes for the easy stuff. the professional thief stops at nothing... except for the "big black guy named ben"(TM) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
it might have a better effect if you can hide a 2nd horn some where else. on the car so they kind of have to search for it. will take a while to find it since ist just a blaring sound.
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
There are some alarms that protect on a totally different level...the Clifford AvantGuard 4 is incredible. Read up on it when you get a chance.
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

KevinFWB is an unknown quantity at this point
If all they are trying to do is steal your equipment than an alarm is only going ot make noise. In general most theieves are going to bypass your car as soon as they see your flashing LED. But for the ones that stay.. yeah.. All they have to do is cut the wires to your siren... no more noise!! Always put your siren in a good spot. Somewhere where things have to be taken apart to get to it. Hide the wires really well. Eelectrical tape them with a bundel of OEM wires so it blends in more. I also recommend having at least 3 sirens. Two on the outside of the car... 1 under the hood and one somewhere on the under side of the car and put a penzo siren inside your A/C Vents. Its a really loud ear pierecing siren made to aggravate thieves inside your car. With three seperate sirens they will spend more time on trying to shut your car up then what they are willing to stick around for. They will find the one under the hood easy, but once the realize that didn't shut it up they are probably gonna run. I would also recommend getting a backup battery. If they disconnect your battery.. all 3 go dead. Always use at least 2 sirens and always use a backup battery. That penzo siren is a big + its small, enexpensive, and damn loud (129db).
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Car alarms work great against getto thieves.. but any Car alarm on the market won't keep a pro from grabbing your system..I've seen thieves go so far as to break into a dudes garage, Drill a hole in his trunk cut out some sheetmetal and run a jumper for his trunk sensor.. Run away with 2 12" W7's and 2 JBL 1200.1's and 1 Soundstreem amp..... with the cleanliness of the ripoff they found out who it was mighty quit.. the fugger who did the install lol...

But back to the point.. Car alarms work against Ghetto thieves and Joyride car thieves.. not pro's..

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

skier167 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got a question along these lines.....I"ve been reading up on the aladin alarm 2000 because I saw it on the group buy center for $199 I had a viper 800 in my last car and let me tell ya vipers are great!! I was wondering if anyone has any input on this aladin alarm? Does anyone have this. It looks cool since you get like a pager with it that works withing 1/4 of a mile from the car. Also it has a built in remote car starter for manuals too, which is legal. I need your thoughts

Nate
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

KevinFWB is an unknown quantity at this point
I was considering an Alladin or Compustar, but then I decided to stick with Viper like I always have. I read the the Alladdin and Compustars are basically poorly desinged/built alarms but have cool features. I do not have one, nor have I owned one. That is just what I read. And keep in mind that the 1/4 mile range is the absolute best your will ever get. I wouldn't count on it though. I installed my Viper 550ESP remote start on my manual transmission. It can be done, however it takes a little more work to install the extra precautionary/safety switches so it won't start in gear. If you want/need more info on installed remote start on a manual, just let me know. Also, if you can hang out on getting an alarm for a few more months, Viper is coming out with a 2-way alarm with pager in mid summer.
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

GotPho is an unknown quantity at this point
chall need the new alarm system. its called Fried Facker! U guys seen tha comercial about side skirt flames? thats what we need to get rid of thiefs. but so far its only legal in south africa.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

GOTPHO?
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

the1sthotboy is an unknown quantity at this point
SOLUTION BATMAN's BULLETPROOF CAR SHIELD or Bulletproof windows[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]Theives will always be there ..Mutherf_ckers[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Why you worried abotu peopel stealing ICE anyways..I mean it's just gonna melt in yuor car anyways...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..'

Flame on