General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: Shave Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
DIY: Shave Front License Plate

This is a great mod and a pretty cheap mod. If you are going for weight reduction on your car this mod is not for you. A scale 1 to 10 this mod is about a 7. If anyone does not understand something or need help do not hesitate to Pm me or email me. If you need more pictures or need to knwo where to purchase somethign contact me.

Tools:
1.) 1 gallon of bondo ( I used rage pretty expensive stuff but it is very easy to work with any bondo will do the trick)
2.) A sanding block
3.) 80 grit sand paper and 150 grit and also 60 Grit
4.) Icing for the last coat you will see in the pciture
5.) boxcutter or razor blade
6.) sheet of plastic or metal to put in the back of the bumper so bondo stays in
7.) 2 tubes of 5min appoxy
8.) card board and smoothing stick
9.) saw-horses to put bumper on (optional it is easier to work on these then on the ground)

Directions:

1.) remove front bumper from car carefully.

2.) set bumper on saw horses and grab a hairdryer and heat the section you are going to be cutting out up.Which is the license plate section when you are done it will look like this. ( you do not have to use a hairdryer it just makes it easier to cut when you heat it up)

here is the section to heat:

here is what it looks like when cut out:

3.) This step is very important to get the bondo to lay right. I had an old bumper laying in my basement and i cut a section out of it. Now it did this because it had the same shape as the bumper on are car. I cut it longer then the opening by about an inch. I took appoxy and clued it in make sure you put a lot of appoxy around the edges so it doesnt start cracking on you in the winter. Also if anyone tries this and comes up with a different way to get a back on there. This is so the bondo has something to grab on to. Prep this section with 60 grit and clean it very well.

heres a few pic of wht i am talking about:

4.) Put two coats of bondo on the area fill the license plate section first. This coats can be heavy. make sure you read the direction to see how much harderner to use each brand may be different. Let these coats dry about 20 minutes and sand it with 80 grit.

IMPORTANT: Try to spread evenly so you do not have a lot of sanding to do. let this dry over night because bondo shrinks. Also once you put bondo on do not touch it you will create more work sanding just leave it alone. I learned the hard way after i did the first bumper

heres a few pic:

5.) Shape the bottom lip. Take your time on this part this is teh hardest part you will have to do. I do not have any pictures of this step sorry

6.) Put a few morre coats of bondo on and spread them past the points where the licesne plate was so you can create the same arc that is in the bumper put one coat on. Let it try for about 30minutes and sand then sand. then reply a second coat and get it really close to perfect.

IMPORTANT: Some bumprer will take more coats depends on how thick the bondo is.

here is a few pictures:

7.) Shape the bottom lip really close to perfect. If you need to apply more bondo on this section then do so.

Here is a pic of the lip:

8.) Once you have the arc the way you like it then apply the finally coat. This coat is a flexible bondo and it is very thin this will fell in all the low spot in the bumper. This tube is very expensive roughly 40.00 thats what i paid. It is called the Autobody icing. You can get it at any body shop place.

Icing looks like this:

here are picture of the finally coat this coat is the most credical coat so take your time.:

9.) let the final coat set up for about 45 minutes adn then sand. It should look liek this if you did all the steps right.

Pic of finished product:

I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH THIS IS A LONG PROCESS AND IF YOU RUSH THREW IT. IT WILL LOOK LIKE CRAP. IF ANYONE NEEDS ANY HELP AND THEY ARE LOCAL I WILL HELP YOU OUT IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTION PM ME OR AIM ME I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU. HOPE THIS THREAD HELPS

Last edited by Civicman1988; 09-24-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Thats ****in awesome work. Now go paint it so we can see how purdy it is
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

TOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the rough
+repped!!
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Thats ****in awesome work. Now go paint it so we can see how purdy it is

Already done this is the second one i have done. I will probaly sell it if somone offers me a good amount.

Originally Posted by TOEnail
+repped!!

thanks bro

Last edited by Civicman1988; 09-24-2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

ohioex is an unknown quantity at this point
thats HAWT
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ohioex
thats HAWT

thanks
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by puidokas
Looks good

ya everyone wanted to know how to do it now they now
Old 09-24-2006
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
thats awesome bro!
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ***** Fn FBM 85
thats awesome bro!

ya takes about 3 full days to do the work that without paint
Old 09-24-2006
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
looks clean.
Old 09-24-2006
DU MA Con Cac

Em2onCPRs is an unknown quantity at this point
looks clean.. looks to hard to do..
Old 09-25-2006
Forum Asshat

Endemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to beholdEndemic is a splendid one to behold
very nice job! its easy to do

i used work auto body... i dont do paint though..
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Endemic
very nice job! its easy to do

i used work auto body... i dont do paint though..

it is very easy
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man just a heads up. Really you dont want to ever have bondo beyond a 1/4" realistically I think its like an 1/8" thick maximum. A 1/4" is definately the max you ever want to go though. Bondo when made thick like this will expand and contract in the weather. You can eventually end up with a really wavy mess down the road. Also from this expanding and contracting it will eventually crack. If I were you on your next ones I would use a fiberglass filled filler. This stuff is extremely strong so strong once it dries you almost cant break some pieces with your hands. This is the stuff I use, duraglas link You should be able to get it at your local auto body store. The kitty hair is a type that has long fibers in it. I dont like this kind. The duraglas comes in kitty hair and also a type that has almost like powdered fiberglass in it. I use the latter kind. Its very easy to work with and once it dries it wont shrink and expand and crack on you like that bondo will. If your going to do this for others I would suggest at least doing it this way so they dont come back to you later with a cracked up bumper. Thats just my two cents though.

Oh and I forgot to say that it looks great awesome work.

Last edited by realitycheck; 11-17-2006 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
how much did it cost to paint the first one???
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

125.00 but i know somoen that works there so i got a discount
Old 09-25-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
hmmmm!

Still very nice job!

I dont know if Im that commited yet to drive with no bumper for that long...
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by realitycheck
Hey man just a heads up. Really you dont want to ever have bondo beyond a 1/4" realistically I think its like an 1/8" thick maximum. A 1/4" is definately the max you ever want to go though. Bondo when made thick like this will expand and contract in the weather. You can eventually end up with a really wavy mess down the road. Also from this expanding and contracting it will eventually crack. If I were you on your next ones I would use a fiberglass filled filler. This stuff is extremely strong so strong once it dries you almost cant break some pieces with your hands. This is the stuff I use, duraglas link You should be able to get it at your local auto body store. The kitty hair is a type that has long fibers in it. I dont like this kind. The duraglas comes in kitty hair and also a type that has almost like powdered fiberglass in it. I use the latter kind. Its very easy to work with and once it dries it wont shrink and expand and crack on you like that bondo will. If your going to do this for others I would suggest at least doing it this way so they dont come back to you later with a cracked up bumper. Thats just my two cents though.

Oh and I forgot to say that it looks great awesome work.

first off the last coat is a flexible bondo and that does not expand and contrast it is flexible and i will never use fiberglass once something hits it its brakes so easy
Old 09-25-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
wow........ur really tallented
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
wow........ur really tallented

thanks bro that meant a lot
Old 09-25-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
are u in socal by any chance??? hahaha
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
are u in socal by any chance??? hahaha

no located in michigan
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
damn michiganians, and their crazy bondo antics, i want a smooth bumper too
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ryangt
damn michiganians, and their crazy bondo antics, i want a smooth bumper too

pay to ship it up here and back and i will do it pay for materials to i dont mind helping out thgen members
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

TOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Civicman1988
pay to ship it up here and back and i will do it pay for materials to i dont mind helping out thgen members
y cant u live in socal?
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
I must admit if looks good, but everyone I've talked to about body repair told me that Bondo isn't made for plastics. It's made to stick to metal. I would like to see how this looks in a few months. Thanks for the DIY though.
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats what I was trying to help you out with man. What do you think that bondo going to do if you hit something? Im not trying to get under your skin or anything man. Just trying to help you out. I started shaving door handles last year and I got tons of info on it and that was part of it. Plus one of my good friends dad paints all my stuff so any questions I have I direct through him. Thats another source I have. Just telling you what they told me about the bondo, if you hit anything with that bondo it will crack. Maybe it wont but more than likely it will. The stuff im talking about is not fiberglass its a plastic filler like bondo that has fiberglass in it. Honestly man im not trying to crack on your job or anything. You did a fantastic job and it looks great. It takes real talent to smooth bondo out and make the lines match and everything. Im just trying to help you out with it. I have a pic of what duraglass looks like if you would like to see it. On a fiberglass subbox I built
Old 09-26-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

genx_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
The lines don't look straight on the bumper.
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
Good DIY

Quick Reply: DIY: Shave Front License Plate