General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

The answer to all of the what intake questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nakattk is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb The answer to all of the what intake questions.

Ok, here it goes. Everyone seems to have the same questions when they first get their car or when they first join the site. So hopefully this will knock out those questions for at least a little while. And this is not a hit at the noobs, because we where all noobs once before. Also this is all my opinon. Others may disagree with these statments.

1. Are intake kits are worth it? Granted you may lose a bit of lower rev range power, and everyone has there own opinon on weather or not you actually gain power. Most say you don't gain power, but that is up to you to decide, even if it is just mental HP. Also it's worth it just for the nice hissing sound under you hood, which gives the impression that you have something that you don't. So please stop asking if it is worth it, because once you get it in your head to maybe get one, then the decision is already over you will have to have it. Also Intakes may improve gas milage ,but they might also lower gas milage it all depends on the application. So many different members report large gains in milage while others report losses, and the only scientific tests have been made by the companies ,that make the intakes. So belive what you want to belive. Milage gains though like power gains will be slight if any.

2. What's a good price? I would say between $100-$180. This all depends on the intakes brand, style, fitment, etc.. It's up to you find one you like then decide if it's worth the price to you.

3. CAI or SRI? This is also your choice. No one can make this decision for you. They are both just as easy to install, give you close to the same power increase, and are both just as easy to clean. With the CAI there will be a little more install time based on the fact that they are larger than the SRI. You may even get a little more power from a CAI, but from what I have read numerous times on this site it's not something to write home about. Hydro lock is not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. If you are stupid enough to drive though a big enough body of water that its would cover your air filter then something is wrong with you. If you have a CAI then you should know better than to do that, and that would solve the hydro lock problem. Don't be stupid is the answer to hydro lock. If you get stuck somewhere because of an unsuspected monsoon ,then that's the compromise you take with a CAI. I personally would say go with SRI. This is because I like things I never have to worry about. The simpler the better.

4. What Brand? Injen has been said to have the highest gains in power. They also have a nice look. AEM has the dry flow filter ,which I love it's very easy to take care of. Also the dry flow filter will not lose shape, like some other filters will kind of crumple a little, the AEM filter will never lose it's original shape. There is also WR, which I have heard has good power increases. I also think Gearbox tested this one and gave it high marks, but don't quote me on that. Their are other brands out there so do some searching and find one that you like. The one's I put above are the one's that ,it seems, most people have though. And a note on eBay intakes from what I have found the early editions of these are where ok, but now they seem to be garbage. If you want to go this route just make your own, or put the money toward a good one. Below are some links to the manufactures site of the intakes I put above. So read up on them. Personally I have the AEM SRI with dry flow filter. I am completely satisfied with it as well. I paid $130 for it and install was very simple. I went with this one because I wanted the simplest one to take care of. But remember it's you car ,it's your choice.

http://www.aempower.com/

http://www.injen.com/

http://www.weapon-r.com/

5. Sedan owners. Yes, they do make intakes for our cars. Each of the above brand makes one for our cars. Search and ye shall find.

6. What about strut bar fitment? Some Injen intakes have a special rubber connector hose from the throttle body to the intake that will allow fitment with almost any strut bar. But, honestly Get a Neuspeed of DC strut bar and you won't have to worry about a thing. These two brands have a strut bar that will fit all of our cars with any intake. But, the price is outrageous. Get over it. It will be worth it if you really want a strut bar with your intake. These are two very good brands. Price=Quality remember the eBay intakes. If you want something good you have to pay for it. I personally have the Neuspeed one. I like the design better.

7. I forgot this one. Don't think your car is going To run like a turbo just because you get an intake, because it's not. And if you think it is then please do not attempt any mods to your car. If you are that stupid you may mod something wrong and hurt yourself or some one else on the road!!!

8. Will it void my warranty? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they say it will get a lawyer, becasue they are lying to you.

9. . Always Research everything!!! Always Search for answers!!! Be sure you are 100% before you make any changes to you car. If you are not sure about something then do more research untill you are sure. Please do not half *** things when moding you car. You will end up on the "Take pics of local ricers thread", or worse hurting yourself or someone else on the road.

10. Have fun. Intakes are fun and easy to install. Hopefully I have answered alot of the repetitious questions about intakes. If I have left something out pm me and I will add it in. I'm just a bit tired of typing now.

11. It's all up to you!! There will always be people with pros and cons on this subject. So it's up to you to sift though all the crap and go with what you find is right for you.

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-31-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
I disagree with the first part of this thread. Intakes are not worth it. They lower gas milage and give little to no gains on the d17.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

I disagree with that. My gas milage seems to be a little better. Also it will eventually save you money because you never have to buy a new filter again, because you just clean the one you have. One way or another in the long run you should save money. Also another point on number 1 is that usually the first thing someone with this kind of car thinks about moding is the intake. So, even if there is no gain most likely they are going to get one anyway just because they want it. I was just trying to answer the questions I keep seeing asking "should I get one." Even if everyone on this site tells a noob it's not worth it. It will still be like a kid in a candy store, they're most likley gonna get it anyway. I forgot about the milage part ,and have added comments above.

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
I agree with ajhdragon:

NOT WORTH IT. The performace is so small if any.

And more air = more gas burned by the engine = less mpg.

I used to get 30-32 mpg with the intake and when I went back to stock the mpg jumped to 38
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Just because there is more air does not mean it is dumping more gas in. The intake just relives the restriction of the stock air box. So, air get to the tb easier and quicker. If your loosing that much gas mileage then you are gunning it to much. If you hold the accelerator to the floor then hell yeah your going to loose all your gas mileage. And I edited the above to include the fact that you may or may not loose gas mileage. I swear everybody's always got to be negative. It may not be worth it to you, but to allot of others it may be worth it. Just trying to help some noobs out. There is always going to be someone that says it's not worth it, but there will also be some that say it is. This is the big unanswered Q. Hence the reason I say numerous time above that it is up to the person buying the intake.

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2006
Premium Member

redem2 has a spectacular aura aboutredem2 has a spectacular aura about
not worth it. ive owned the injen and aem and ended up switching to K&N drop-in filter.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

VicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Nakattk
Just because there is more air does not mean it is dumping more gas in. The intake just relives the restriction of the stock air box. So, air get to the tb easier and quicker. If your loosing that much gas mileage then you are gunning it to much.
I agree. I am not sure why there is so much hating over intakes. I can only speak from limited personal experience but I have had a V2 for about 5 months now. My mpg has not changed. If anything, just a little better. I dont know how much more hp you get but my butt-dyno says there is a little more than before. Plus I like the sound and the way it looks under the hood. Nakattk, thanks for putting this up for us new guys.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Thank you. I know when I get up past 3500 rpm, I can feel the car grabing and pulling more than before.
Old 07-28-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
lol sedan intake and coupe intake are all the same..
Old 07-28-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
From my experience along with probably 90% of the people on this site, an intake just add's mental HP, by which I mean its all in your head. If you want pull past 3500 go turbo or nitrious. Intakes aren't worth the price, but if you get one just a cheap Ebay one and save your money. Same with header and exhaust for the d17. Unless your FI its not worth spending the big bucks. But what do I know, Ive only had pretty much everything for the d17, basic bolt-on's(cheap and big named), nitrious(with and without intake), and turbo. I would say if you go nitrious get an intake only if your running a dry shot because it is easier to tap. If you run wet use a stock one, and again save the cash.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light
will a megan strut tower clear an injen cai? I've gotten mixed answers
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
OK I'll be a bit more positive.

They do have a pretty cool sound. And if you just want the sound then eBay is an excellent option. $30 is a great price

However, when I had my SRI I noticed a TON of heat soak whenever it got about 75 degrees. And then I lost even more power.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by varner88
lol sedan intake and coupe intake are all the same..
I have seen the sedan question before so I was just answering it. Also they do make different intakes between the EX and LX

If the injen intake has that flat tb connector it should fit, but don't hold me to that.

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

actually ex and lx intake are the same. the only diffrence in intakes are for manual or auto. the mounting brackets in in diffrent positions.
Old 07-28-2006
Premium Member

redem2 has a spectacular aura aboutredem2 has a spectacular aura about
if you can feel the pull with an intake you're however, if you must feel a pull just floor it in 2nd gear and turn your ac on and off. you will notice a difference

Originally Posted by ajhdragon
actually ex and lx intake are the same. the only diffrence in intakes are for manual or auto. the mounting brackets in in diffrent positions.
mounting brackets for intakes vary from model to model. for example, the aem cai brackets from the ex will not fit the lx. at least thats what happened the last time i tried selling the aem cai from my ex to a 02 lx.

Last edited by redem2; 07-28-2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ajhdragon
From my experience along with probably 90% of the people on this site, an intake just add's mental HP, by which I mean its all in your head. If you want pull past 3500 go turbo or nitrious. Intakes aren't worth the price, but if you get one just a cheap Ebay one and save your money. Same with header and exhaust for the d17. Unless your FI its not worth spending the big bucks. But what do I know, Ive only had pretty much everything for the d17, basic bolt-on's(cheap and big named), nitrious(with and without intake), and turbo. I would say if you go nitrious get an intake only if your running a dry shot because it is easier to tap. If you run wet use a stock one, and again save the cash.
Ok, first of all nitrious oh yeah thats affordable, and turbo aren't they like 3k along with all the other stuff you need to beef up to handle it. And sure go ahead and buy a $30 eBay intake then another one when it breaks and so on till you could have just gotten one that would last forever. I see three types of modders Competition, Show (looks), and Daily Driver. I can understand buying a turbo or nitro in competition cause you may just make your money back on the track. But if you don't have that kinda cash just lying around and you don't want your daily driver reved up to much an intake makes more sense. There must be a large % of people that like intakes and that "mental HP" cause there are alot of people that have them, and I think more than 10% on this site.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

MAX_NO_KIHON is an unknown quantity at this point
I've installed a AEM CAI which has given me a better mpg. just have to take it easy. I say it's well worth it. 32-40 mpg (Tested)
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

I guess I should have been prepared for all of this. Your always gonna have some people that disagree with you. And there will always be people that agree with you. We must agree to disagree. Some people support and intake and some people don't. So like I put in my first post It's all up to the buyer. There will always be people with pros and cons on this subject. And for this reason I have added number 11.

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

To further the argument that intakes are not worth it ask gearbox. He has had just about every intake for the d17 known to man. And has also dyno tested all of them. His best gains were with the K&N intake system, like a whopping 2whp. So with the $280 for an intake cost, you could just save another few weeks and get a nitrious setup for $600. Or a decent used kit for around $450.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

I guess I should have been prepared for all of this. Your always gonna have some people that disagree with you. And there will always be people that agree with you. We must agree to disagree. Some people support and intake and some people don't. So like I put in my first post It's all up to the buyer. There will always be people with pros and cons on this subject. And for this reason I have added number 11.
I give up on any argument as stated above. I did think though that a nitro setup would cost more that 600. I mean with all the stuff you need to get the engine ready for that and all. I didn't know it was only around 600. But which would be better just for someone with a daily driver a 600 nitro setup or just a simple intake. I don't think someone with a daily driver will be hitting the button all that much. And my intake was only $130 and I am satisfied with the outcome.
Old 07-28-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
this thread is all just "he said she said" bull ****.

I thought it was a good post to stop all the useless questions about intkes...

because its almost everyones first mod...
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
dude, it's not disagreeing, it's straight up proving you wrong. I've been on this site for years and this has been cover more times than i can count. Dynos have prven it, try this, drive your car real fast, then go home, take a really hefty ****, i mean like horrible, like when you go into a house with rusty plumbing and turn on the faucet. then go drive your car real fast again. The average human crap is 5 lbs. it will have the exact same affect as putting an intake on your car.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Exactlly what I have said. If you want one get one if you don't then don't get one. I was just trying to clear up some of the Q's I keep seeing posted on the site.
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
1. Yes intake kits are worth it. Granted you may lose a bit of lower rev range power, but you will gain a bit of higher rev range power. Also it's worth it just for the nice hissing sound under you hood, which gives the impression that you have something that you don't. So please stop asking if it is worth it, because once you get it in your head to maybe get one, then the decision is already over you will have to have it. Also Intakes may improve gas milage ,but they might also lower gas milage it all depends on the application. So many different members report large gains in milage while others report losses, and the only scientific tests have been made by the companies ,that make the intakes. So belive what you want to belive. Milage gains though like power gains will be slight if any.
That in itself is misleading to people who just bought the car, because there is no power gain, there is no gas mileage gain, and if you dont get a bypass valve it can be lethal to your engine.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

ok look all the members that have been here for a while. You get tired of the same intake Q's right? Well all I was trying to do with this was answer them all in one thread. Simple as that. I wasn't asking for everyone and their mama to disagree with having an intake. I was just trying to simplify things. Obviosly this didn't work. But let's just face it. To someone that is new to moding an intake is an easy mod right? Something simple that allows you to get a little more intune with modding and the way your car works. Intakes aren't completely horrible for your car. So it doesn't hurt to have one. And if your a noob your most likley gonna get one eventually just because it's a simple project.
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

yea, it's great that you put all the questions in one thread, but do research before you do. Intake are not worth it, they dont do anything. yes, it is an easy mod, but so is taking of the resonator, and it yeilds the same results and it's free!!! and they make it for sedans also!
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by booba5185
That in itself is misleading to people who just bought the car, because there is no power gain, there is no gas mileage gain, and if you dont get a bypass valve it can be lethal to your engine.

ok did you actually read it? The last sentence where it says there may be little to no gains. Or the part where I talk about hydro lock. Don't say I'm misleading when you havn't even read the whole thing. Also the reason I put parts in it about always doing your research and being 100% before moding!

And they make what for sedans also??

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

true, i didn't catch the part about hydro lock, sorry about that, but still, they are not worth it, the stock airbox is actually much, much, much better than a cai. If you want, i'll exlpain y.

removing that airbox, it has the same sound as a cai or ram air and also is free and safer...

Last edited by booba5185; 07-28-2006 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

This is also the reason I put #11. The stock box may be what you want. But someone else may want that 10% mental HP or just the fact that it looks better under the hood. I mean it's like telling someone with a cf hood "that looks like crap", just because you like oem.

11. It's all up to you!! There will always be people with pros and cons on this subject. So it's up to you to sift though all the crap and go with what you find is right for you.
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

if thats the case then i would rephrase number 1, because it's not worth it for the power.

Quick Reply: The answer to all of the what intake questions.