General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

led lights on the dashboard!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SilverBUll8 is an unknown quantity at this point
led lights on the dashboard!

I know there is a thing out on this already. But I didnt find what i was looking for is there a diy on replacing the led's in the light that goes on when you press the ac,defrost or recirulate button[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]. Can somone please help. I know how to take the dash stuff of just not sure how to replace the led lights.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
it's not a simple task. read the FAQs and read my sig
here is your answer
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

SilverBUll8 is an unknown quantity at this point
It dosnt say how to change em it just says that you need to change em.
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
you might wanna as D if you're gonna change out the LEDs. like i said, it's not a simple DIY.
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Drew is an unknown quantity at this point
You have a forbidden word in your message post. Please click the back button in your browser and remove this word from your post. The words that are forbidden are highlighted for you.

personally i do not know how to change leds, from what others have said, unless u are a real electrition, its best not to try cause u will really mess stuff up. What others have used are what they refer to as "condom covers" supposevley you can...

<< order the replaceable lights for the switches in the door of a 1995 ford probe. it cost me 21 bucks with tax and you get 4 little bulbs and they have this "condom" like covers on them. >>

hope that helps -Drew
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

Teddy is an unknown quantity at this point
well, should we start?
take all dash components out off the center dash that holds the a/c, fan speed, hazard, holes for cd player...
seperate all components - as in unscrew all the pieces to seperate them into
1. a/c, rear demist, fresh air
2. fan speed select, temp select, vent select
3. hazard light + air vents
4. cd player and that little bucket that you ppl in america have lids for... =(

look at the a/c part and the fan speed select part... there should be two round cap looking things in each part. brown on one and white on the other... therefore a total of 4.

these things twist off, like a screw would, in half a twist. That means twist by all means but dont keep twisting. You should find that these things hold light bulbs. 2 are in the brown and they are bigger - 5-6mm, and the white (you'll have fun taking these out =) ) 3mm.

These light bulbs have filiments, they have little petite wires in the glass that heat up and make light. You i pressume want leds. Light emiting diodes.

i dont remember having condoms on these 4 but there are condoms on the power mirrors and windows - but thats some other story that you'll solve if you can do this.

Undo the 2 wires holding these bulbs to the plastic. Pull out the bulb, kinda difficult and try not to crush them cause they are brittle.

get some leds, 3mm dia for white cap, 5 mm for brown - but you could really use 3mm for both, with 4000 mCds - brightness(or higher cause leds dont scatter light but tend to direct the light at a point - you want scattering light), at some voltage like 2.2 or 3 or something. 12 is even betta cause then you dont need to have a resistor... but i couldnt find any so i used 3.6v.

and then ask the guy at the electronic store to sell you resistors that drop voltages down to - whatever voltage your bulb is.

drop the bulb through the wire holes of the brown or white caps... and tie down the short end like the oem bulb. take the resistor wire and attach it onto, i think the positive side to the diode (LED) which is the longer of the two wires from the bulb itself. (because diodes are, by analogy, a one way valve that allow electricity to flow one way but not the other...... ..... ... ...... ... .. .........)

tie them up, solder, and heat wrap this connection.

now when you think the white/brown caps looks pretty good to put back in the hole where they belong, they might not fit. They will fall into the hole but not turn, therefore no eletrical contact. Hence you need to trim the little thred that holds the bugger down.

put it in - remember where you took them from?, turn it half a clock - and remember the direction the words are facing when you do this, and plug it into the dash to try.

doesnt work?? well take it out and try putting it in the other way - because you have got the + and - the other way around silly, ie. undo the half turn, then take out the bulb and .... you know.... if you dont then your buggered.

Lastly, do all that gel stuff the other diys tell you like take them all out. DONT PUT NEW BLUE ONES IN. cause the colour you choose the LEDS you install ought to shine through as they are.

They wont be intense. not sure whether 2k1civic's dash lights are intense or not by these pics on web but they do light well....

=)) easy mate.
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

and this junior member thing dont do me justice.
Old 06-03-2002
Registered!!

o0aznbboy0o is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr][i]
tie them up, solder, and heat wrap this connection.
[hr]
how do you heat wrap ths connection?
i dont get it. please tell me. thanks
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

well it means to put a plastic heat shrink sleeve over the wire - to -wire connection that you have twisted. Then you would heat it a little with a hair dryer to shrink the sleeve! it actually is not that essential as it isnt really exposed but as a rule in electronics, you should to protect the connection.
Im surprised somebody actually is asking me!! hope it works out for you! did with mine. had it for a while now and ppl always ask where do you buy it..... =====&gt; its called SKILLZ. mate.
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

well it means to put a plastic heat shrink sleeve over the wire - to -wire connection that you have twisted. Then you would heat it a little with a hair dryer to shrink the sleeve! it actually is not that essential as it isnt really exposed but as a rule in electronics, you should to protect the connection.
Im surprised somebody actually is asking me!! hope it works out for you! did with mine. had it for a while now and ppl always ask where do you buy it..... =====&gt; its called SKILLZ. mate.
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright just to clarify, are you trying to replace the on/off LED's that turn on when you press the button, or change the color of the button so it glows a different color at night?
Old 06-08-2002
Registered!!

PeArlHoNdA is an unknown quantity at this point
man i just colored the bulbs with a blue sharpie marker

blue blue blue blue!!!!

Ghetto....but i aint no electrician.....and looks saaaaaweeeeeeeeet!

PeArLhOnDa
Old 06-09-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
hey pearl .. you got any pics of that man? I wanna compare it to what mine looks like ..