General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: Throttle-Body Heater Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
"What rotary fin?"

The unit that is being disabled is called a "Rotary Air Control Valve". Thus, I am of the impression that there is some type of impeller within the assembly. There may not be but for those of you who are interested in doing this "mod", I would recommend consulting the OEM Shop manual to find out what this assembly is really for. Maybe over the long-term, disabling it could cause damage.
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

97civicex is an unknown quantity at this point

<< "What rotary fin?"

The unit that is being disabled is called a "Rotary Air Control Valve". Thus, I am of the impression that there is some type of impeller within the assembly. There may not be but for those of you who are interested in doing this "mod", I would recommend consulting the OEM Shop manual to find out what this assembly is really for. Maybe over the long-term, disabling it could cause damage.
>>

chill out man. it will not cause any harm. all the mod does is cool down you intake temp. if you have any doubts about the mod dont do it. in fact if you know any thing at all, AEM supplys the hose to by pass you TB heater when you buy a CAI. and i found what you are talking about:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h60.pdf

feel free to check it out!!!
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

cro2k2civicla is an unknown quantity at this point
my AEM CAI didnt include the hose [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

<< my AEM CAI didnt include the hose [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] >>

my boy with the 97 dx came with his
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

97civicex,

I am chilled. I'm sippin' on a cold brew in 40degree weather in WA. My posts were more or less trying point out the importance of knowing exactly what the Rotary Air Control Valve does before disabling it.

If it has no negative effect...COOL! It just sounded like there were some people who might be weary of disconnecting these hoses for fear that their throttle body and/or related components might be damaged.

TJ
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

I noticed from that Technical Bulletin that if the IACV is removed or disconnected, the idle RPM will sit at 1000-1200 rpm. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Did you read it the same way?
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

<< I noticed from that Technical Bulletin that if the IACV is removed or disconnected, the idle RPM will sit at 1000-1200 rpm. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Did you read it the same way? >>

i did not read the whole thing but any way. my point is disconecting the TB heater will not cause any harmfull affects unless you are in a place that gets very cold. bottom line. that is it. i guess you would be listed under that enviroment. besides i am sure you would notice it starting to freeze up any way.
Old 04-17-2002
Registered!!

ph0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
For anyone who is curious... I have been running this little mod since the DIY first got posted, and I have yet to experience and problems...
Only thing you can't avoid is the radiated heat from the engine...
But the TB stays much cooler compared to if it had the hot coolant running through it.
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

civic2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I've heard about OBD II guys doin this MOD to thier cars but I was looking at my Throttle body. Doesn't that anitfreeze need to pass thru also because there is some kinda sensor right there at the same place the "inlet" and "outlet" hose's are. I dunno I would just think that with that sensor there its probably checking for something .....right??? Have you had any check engine codes flash since this MOD??? Please let me know if you have...cause I wanna do this to my 2002. Mikey Mike!!!
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Nah, my check engine light has never come on, or flashed, or anything.
Maybe it just doesn't work at all![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Nah I'm just kiddin, it's all good. All of my friends have this mod and nobody has had any problems for the past couple years.
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

kFanghe is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm, curious... by doing this, wouldn't water condensate onto or even into the throttle body intake and then eventually make it's way into the engine messing up the oil (sludge)?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

No Way!!!
The throttle body isn't gonna get cold enough to have condensation on it.
It just doesn't get as hot as the rest of the engine any more.
Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

Fa5ter is an unknown quantity at this point
James thank you!
I tried this little mod today and it only cost me 4 bucks.
I was able to get a copper 1/4 inner di. tube splicer
and two clamps from home depot and i installed it in the
parking lot.

Now i'm wondering, has anyone thought of taking this
idea one step further and running coolent throught the
now unused heater? I've seen those ICE cooling packs
from bazooka for amplifier temperature control. Anyone
think that a system like this would help control throttle
body temperature? Hey it's just a thought.

_______Fa5ter_______
slowmoriot@hotmail.com
Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

ph0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice idea for cooling it down, and might improve things a little.
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

tamazoid is an unknown quantity at this point
hey, can someone tell me exacly how big of a diameter tube i need for this... thanks!
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

Decamo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
If you decided to liquid cool the throttle body than there is the possibility of condensation.

Old 06-28-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed lately that my engine seems more responsive at part throttle when the engine is cold. I also have noticed that it loses power on a long trip, especially on a hot day. I think this mod has posiblities. I'm gonna try it.
Old 06-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: tamazoid
hey, can someone tell me exacly how big of a diameter tube i need for this... thanks![hr]
Hey tamazoid, there really isn't an exact diameter. You should just go to lowes and find a diameter that is small enough to fit in the hose, but big enough to where it doesn't leak. Just eyeball it.
Old 06-30-2002
Registered!!

tummyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM civic you kick a$$ I am gong to do this as soon as possible
Old 06-30-2002
Registered!!

tummyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
just got done with this DIY and for the guys want to know sizes here goes. the piece of aluminium piping you use to connect the two hoses together is 5/16 and the piece fo hose you use on covering the holes on the throttle body heater are either 5/16 or 3/8 if you use the 3/8 size hose I recomend using clamps becuase it is not as tight as the 5/16
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM civic I love this idea; and today I have been thinking and looking. Why don't you just remove both hoses from their point of origin and run one hose that connects from the radiator to the back side of the block and that will clean up the engine bay a little more, because when you connect these two hoses that is all you are doing, but you are just doing it the easy way. Then you can attach the small hose to the inlet and outlet of the TB, I am going to try this tomorrow and let me know what you guys think.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, I'm sure you can come up with all kinds of variations, but that was just the easiest way for me to explain it.
Old 07-19-2002
Registered!!

Barney should not be trustedBarney should not be trustedBarney should not be trusted
EDITED: for no reason. do what you want. you will anyways.
Old 07-19-2002
Registered!!

Well, thanks for the warning Number1. And I agree, if you don't understand the mechanics of the device, then I wouldn't mess with it. The purpose of this heater is to keep the throttle body from freezing in the open position while going down the road. Because during the winter, it's sucking in cold air, and it can eventually form frost or even ice while you're going down the road......and freeze in the open position. It does this by pumping warm coolent through a device that heats up and transfers the heat to the throttle body. It is either on or off. There is no summer or winter setting, so I don't see how this could keep the throttle body cooler in the summer......unless the coolent happens to be cooler than the outside temp. I seriously doubt that this has any serious effect on whether your car runs rich or lean....if it does, it is very hard to notice as I have had this done for over a year, and no problems. I guess the honda mechanic knows what he's talkin about though, so I'd listen to him......but it's too late.
Old 08-14-2002
Registered!!

Meatman is an unknown quantity at this point
In the summer there wouldn't be a problem with condensation. In the winter there shouldnt be a problem because your throttle body would be heated to a temp above the temp of the cold air and would most likely remain above that temp. The only way condensation would occur is if you have a colder throttle body then the air temp, which will never happen. I say the mod is a good idea!!
Old 09-18-2002
Registered!!

Meatman is an unknown quantity at this point
FINALLY!!! I did the Throttle Body mod!!! I went to the local Lowes and got myself a foot of tubing and a brass fast disconnect fitting. I did everything and went for a hour drive!!! At first it was alittle different. I think its because my ecu didnt like the fact that i had to disconnected the air intake temp sensor to remove the air filter element!!! My engine light stayed on the whole time I went for my drive. After about 20 min I got on the freeway for alittle while and the throttle seemed to become normal. Then after about 20 minutes on the freeway I got off and started messin with the throttle and i noticed a SLIGHT inprovement. YAY!!! Also a few days ago I took off my muffler!!! Now some of you are thinking.....WTF... It feels like I gained a few horse after 3800rpm!!! Plus it sounds nice!!!!! Not clappy or anything!!!
Old 09-19-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Meatman
FINALLY!!! I did the Throttle Body mod!!! I went to the local Lowes and got myself a foot of tubing and a brass fast disconnect fitting. I did everything and went for a hour drive!!! At first it was alittle different. I think its because my ecu didnt like the fact that i had to disconnected the air intake temp sensor to remove the air filter element!!! My engine light stayed on the whole time I went for my drive. After about 20 min I got on the freeway for alittle while and the throttle seemed to become normal. Then after about 20 minutes on the freeway I got off and started messin with the throttle and i noticed a SLIGHT inprovement. YAY!!! Also a few days ago I took off my muffler!!! Now some of you are thinking.....WTF... It feels like I gained a few horse after 3800rpm!!! Plus it sounds nice!!!!! Not clappy or anything!!![hr]
Old 11-13-2002
Registered!!

drakeo is an unknown quantity at this point
would this work for a 2003 civic ex?

im looking to do mods that wont void the warranty, if that is possible
Old 11-13-2002
Registered!!

Yes, it's the same for the 2k3 models. And the only way it'll void your warranty is if the dealer finds out about it. [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-27-2003
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point
i did this but never noticed a gain maybe because i have a short ram intake im getting a cai soon but what i wanted to ask you guys do i have to put back a hose on the 2 inlet and outlet pipes on the throttle body after bypassing them or is it ok to just leave them open ?

Quick Reply: DIY: Throttle-Body Heater Bypass