General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

manually disable the speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
would take an electrical enginieer and then some to figure out which wire to switch. cap put a resistor on etc.

find otu hwo to disable the rpm sensor for the stock ecu. add in your own ater market tach and you should be set to giver
Old 03-14-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by paradoxblue
from wut i understand its a rev cut off simply. in an auto they have the speed cut off's
how do i know this?
i can hit 180k on a flat surface pretty solid according to the speedo. on a downhill i topout at a bit more then that before i govern and on an up hill i govern a bit bellow 180

so explain to me how my speed limiter changes according to the angle of my car? unless honda has some pretty seriouse gizmo's int here lmao.

its a rev limiter plain and simple.

You have the right idea. it sa simple switch to say "shut off fuel pump" now two questions. is this a seperate wire that tells it to shut down. or something that tells the cars brain to stop pumping gas. cause its two different methodes.

if tis a seperate line then its simple to find said line and create a break

BUT if its int he cpu. I.E. the cpu in the car is reading the rpm gauge and is also running the fuel pump is coded to decide at a set rpm to shut down the fuel pump. the only way around thi i can see that is simple would be to find teh RPM sensor and isntall a switch to disable it completely. which would do two things.
one kill your tach int he car,
two stopt he cpu from also reading it. which MAY cause some errors.

now at that time. figure out how it sends the signal.. does the rpm sensor send a voltage to the cpu which then tells the cpu by the voltage +/- how fast its going. make sense? kind of like a meter.
if it does it this way. fidn out what voltage it sends at 7000rpm in 5th cause they should all be a diffrent source soo.. um how can i explain this

in 1st at 2000rpm you cars rpm sensor is sending a 1.2vdc current tot he cpu so the cpu says OH ok thats this speed displays this rpm to you and calculates etc.

so in 5th once u hi the limit. say 7000rpm its sending a 11.3v signal?
install a switch with a proper resistor.
so its sending 11.2 about to hit the 3 to kill the pump, but you click on the resistor. knocks that source back a few numbers and bam your internal rpm is way off BUT your cpu is also readin something wrong.

if i could find the wire i could test this theory myself. it may be a resistor and nothin more lol

***the above information is exactly that. and is jsut my thouht process over this discussion using my knowledge that i ave aquired. i have no degree or other bs so this is just a few possibilities. i may be right i may be way off
thought i'd toss it out there

find the RPM sensor and you can killt he govenor. one way or another
first off, your wrong on a few levels here. not being a ****, just letting you know.
the cars BUS, or combined system of all the computers read signals and communicate using 5 volts not 12. so it wouldnt be 11.4 volts or w/e u said. and some,not ours but some, read off 1 volt for some sensors. and second, you dont just go wiring in resistors to voltage signals because you can fry your ecu that way, and the rpm reading is used on many many more things so dont think that this wont **** up more ****!, plus rpm is read from the camshaft and crankshaft sensor. and rpm signal voltage doesnt matter what gear your in, how is 2k rpm diff in diff gears? its still 2k.
again sorry if i come off as a **** but i havent had the best few days and im honestly just trying to let you know this stuff.
i like the idea of switching though, maybe i could figure out the best way to wire in a relay and switch into this circuit so i can keep the rev limiter for driving and remove it for top speeds!
i thin what ill do is get my multi-meter or one of the test lights that doesnt draw current, and ill leave the car in neutral, revving it watching the signal. then ill bounce the rpm off hte 7k rev limiter and watch to see if the ecu is grounding the circuit to cut fuel. i have no clue when i could get arond to this since im fixing my car

Originally Posted by paradoxblue
would take an electrical enginieer and then some to figure out which wire to switch. cap put a resistor on etc.

find otu hwo to disable the rpm sensor for the stock ecu. add in your own ater market tach and you should be set to giver
no way, all it takes is someone who knows and understands automotive electricity, and can diagnose symptoms, thats all this is, diagnosing the symptom of the rev limiter kicking in, hell i think even a mechanic ase certified in auto electricity could do it (thats me lol )

Last edited by ncirom2003; 03-14-2006 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

pinoyjdmr is an unknown quantity at this point
hey wassup guys well I don't know if it going to work on the vic but I gotten a speed limiter deffencer from HKS and I'm going to hook it up this weekend but I'll keep you guys up dated if you guys wont to see it is on this web site
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...y_Code=HKS-EMS
Old 03-14-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
deff let us know man, im depending on you lol!
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ncirom2003
first off, your wrong on a few levels here. not being a ****, just letting you know.
the cars BUS, or combined system of all the computers read signals and communicate using 5 volts not 12. so it wouldnt be 11.4 volts or w/e u said. and some,not ours but some, read off 1 volt for some sensors. and second, you dont just go wiring in resistors to voltage signals because you can fry your ecu that way, and the rpm reading is used on many many more things so dont think that this wont **** up more ****!, plus rpm is read from the camshaft and crankshaft sensor. and rpm signal voltage doesnt matter what gear your in, how is 2k rpm diff in diff gears? its still 2k.
again sorry if i come off as a **** but i havent had the best few days and im honestly just trying to let you know this stuff.
i like the idea of switching though, maybe i could figure out the best way to wire in a relay and switch into this circuit so i can keep the rev limiter for driving and remove it for top speeds!
i thin what ill do is get my multi-meter or one of the test lights that doesnt draw current, and ill leave the car in neutral, revving it watching the signal. then ill bounce the rpm off hte 7k rev limiter and watch to see if the ecu is grounding the circuit to cut fuel. i have no clue when i could get arond to this since im fixing my car

no way, all it takes is someone who knows and understands automotive electricity, and can diagnose symptoms, thats all this is, diagnosing the symptom of the rev limiter kicking in, hell i think even a mechanic ase certified in auto electricity could do it (thats me lol )
u did come off as a **** but i understand
like i said iw as guessing
and i dotn see it being so simple then. HOW does the car let me go wel over 7k in 1 2 3 and 4. but in 5th i lock up at 7 k.
since from going up and down hills i know it snot the speed its the rpms.

maybe a way to make the car think its still in 4th? but reving in 5th? car should run fine jsut think its in high 4th gear rpms at the rev limiter and would keep going?

a thought. im no expert. but the car is able to tell what gear its in. so it has to be different some how.
Old 03-15-2006
diamonds she will pretty much have to

ex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the rough
The US spec 5spd EX doesn't have a speed limiter. I've gone 139 according to my speedo and my gps speedo. I also have had my speed accurately clocked at 85 mph(fockin cops) so I don't think there is a big variance at 139 between actual speed and displayed speed on my car.

All the autos have speed limiters and, from what I remember, the DX/VP and LX all have speed limiters as well. The only reason why I hit 139 was because I was going down a slight hill, I topped out around 130-132 because of lack of power, but once I started going downhill I gained more speed. I did this at 3:30 in the morning coming home from work with absolutely no one on the road so don't give me the "why are you driving that fast on the street? you'll hurt/kill somebody," and obviously I don't care about speed and endangering myself because I drive sportbikes as well. I normally don't go faster than 80(atleast in the car) even if I'm racing around and weaving on the interstate. I just remember past threads like this one and wanted to test my 5spd EX to see if it had a speed limiter since there was so much confusion before.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

Madchild is an unknown quantity at this point
What if to give a constant 12v dc to fuel pump? In this way ECU will not be able to cut fuel...
Old 03-15-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
My two cents

My two cents: My VAFC2 says I red-line at 6972 RPMS I dont know if that helps all this

O' ya I dont have a speed limiter eather(I hit 120-130 on a stock tach, easy on my commute to the track )

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 03-15-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
thats enough!
I can’t believe I never saw this thread. You guys can argue till the cows come home this has been covered since day one of this site. With that said this is closed. And if I see another thread about this it’s getting deleted simple as that. You want to find answers search. There is enough information on this site about this topic!