General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

EASY HU relocation!!! check this out

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005
How many pots have you smoken?
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
EASY HU relocation!!! check this out

Whats crackin fellas

So I have been working on making a custom HU mold that relocates the HU down to above the cup holders. I know lots of people have done this, and in fact, i've had it done to my car as well, but i've found a product that is sooooooo much easier than using fiberglass or bondo or whatever else people have used.

I paid a well respected (ha ha ya right, those as$holes! http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=210636) to make a part for me and it turned out like ****! They fiberglassed - and that didn't look good. so they vinyled that piece and it still looked like crap! you could tell they just threw it together. The product i've used looks a ton beter than their fiberglass ever did and costs like barely anything!

The product costs around $5.00! and you only need about 1, maybe 2, to finish the job. Other than the actual molding product, you need a can of plastic primer and plastic paint. Im still debating wether or not to put a clear coat on it - because i want the piece to look stock and if it has a gloss i don't think it will look very stock. I went out and bought a detail sander last night (~$25) but you can sand it just the same using a little elbow grease. (The buff pad that came with the detail sander did help out a lot though!)

Im not completely done with my project yet, but so far, it looks pretty freakin awesome if i do say so myself. lol. this is my first time attempting to make something like this and i think i've done a pretty good job. all through the process i kept thinking "i really should take step by step pics to make a DIY!" but i didn't have a digi cam available so i couldn't. I will do a write up and tell exactly what i did - though its so simple you could figure it out!

my big secret is the product i used because i don't want people to tell me how it won't work or how something else is better without them seeing it first. and i want you guys to see it first, then decide wether or not the product works well. hopefully i'll get it done tonight but i have a family dinner to go to so if i have time once i get back to my apartment i'll finish it up. AND now that i think about it - i'll take some pics at my folks house and post them up tonight.

here is the before of what i paid to have done, looks like crap!

check back later tonight for the new pics (again, its not completely done but you'll get the idea)
Old 08-02-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
The job the shop did looks real half assed!! I really wanna know what was used so hurry up and get 'er done!!
Old 08-02-2005

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
GUESS WHAT!? my dvd player JUST got to my house!!!! this thing should be done within the next week. i just have to make sure the unit fits in the mold i made. i used the metal bracket from an the Sony im tryin to sell (check my sig!!) to make the mold because the measurements were very very similar! also, made a paper cut out (lol!) of what the installation measurements should be and it fit pretty dead on. lol can you tell im no expert or professional? well my product will look professional...my methods aren't quite though! lol i guess as long as it works and looks good its ok, right? haha. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah im so stoked right now this thing is finally coming together after TWO MONTHS w/o any music or anything in my car!
Old 08-02-2005

oh ****, 209??? where you from?
Old 08-02-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
^^Stockton...cool deal on the DVD player...cannot wait to see some final product shots!!
Old 08-02-2005

complications...theres always freaking complications! lol

so i was test fitting the piece with the dvd player loaded and what a surprise...the deck doesn't fit like the Sony did. I think the Sony wasn't as tall..or...actually i dunno why 1 fit and the other doesn't..but it doesn't. i have to get a dremel or something to hack away at the metal.

and to make it worse...its a shape of metal that doesn't even need to be there.... i tried to type out an explanation as to why..but i think i'll draw it instead....

...ok done...
the green is unit. the red is the wire loom, and the black the metal. as you can see from my wonderful drawing the green unit is hitting the black circles where the wire loom is attached to the metal...WHATS THE PURPOSE of that?!

anyways..man...i can't believe how bored i am at work to draw that! lol but you get the picture.

hopefully i can get my hands on a dremmel tonight and hack away that metal but i don't think i know anybody who has one. AND i didn't wait long enough to start playing with the piece i made (seeing as how i sprayed a coat this morning at 6) haha and it cracked a bit

not going as smoothly as i wanted it to - but when does it ever!? it'll get done soon - i'll have those pics for you tonight stil though...

Last edited by manthatguysfast; 10-23-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
nice, i'm actually going to do the same thing this weekend, and am looking forward do pics of yours.
Old 08-02-2005

fo sho..i'll get them up tonight. i don't wanna get any hopes up...yet....haha, cuz its not a finished product..it still needs work. but, its pretty close!! probably get the pics up around 6 or 6:30
Old 08-02-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

Love the drawing btw!!! I agree with you that nothing every goes how it is "supposed" to!!! I would invest in a dremel...I bought one and use it all the time! You are welcome to use it if you wanna make the drive!!!
Old 08-02-2005

how much did the dremel run you? i just bought a sander last night, it was only 25...but i was thinking...when the fvck else i am going to need a detail sander?! haha so i've been trying to think of an excuse to take it back and get my $$ back! (after im done with it of course lol)
Old 08-02-2005
Dear Mr. Toilet, I'm The S.H.I.T.

IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
what did you use to cut the metal piece in the back of the radio? I'm doing mines rite now but the electric saw I have it does not reach the metal part so I can cut it so I dont know what to do.

EDIT: This is the way mines is coming out also.

Last edited by IrockCivics; 08-02-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't wait to see the actual DIY
Old 08-02-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

I bought a battery operated dremel...make sure if you get one, to get a plug in one, they are probably around 75-100 bux!!
Old 08-02-2005

holy cow - nobody has ever used a pic of mine for an example, sweet! lol im a dork.

on the dremel...i guess i got a good deal?? i got a plug in one for 39.99 and it comes with 65 accessories.

of course, like with the sander, i think i am going to use it and return it lol

...pics by 7 for sure.....
Old 08-02-2005

alright, so I'm an hour and 10 minutes late..blame the folks for not starting dinner earlier lol.

here they are. AND REMEMBER THIS IS STILL IN THE ROUGH. I still need to do a lot of sanding to making it look smooth. what do you guys think, though, so far? lets hear some comments then i'll let you guys know what it is i used.

Last edited by manthatguysfast; 10-23-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2005

and just incase anybody is wondering why i bought such a puny little dvd screen...haha...its because i have an indash screen (a raw one) that had no video going to it. i looked and looked and looked - but couldn't find anything else that would give me some kind of video display on the indash screen while listening to an audio cd. this unit will give me cd text, play time, track number and a nice little background on my indash while i play audio cds!!
Old 08-03-2005
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
that's what i'm trying to do for my HU relocation. i still need to cut the steel frame at the back so i can stick in more of my HU. what did you use?
Old 08-03-2005

i was going to hold off telling you guys what it is cuz i didn't wanna hear any flames or how bad an idea this is - but i think it looks pretty decent even in this rough stage - so i don't care what you guys say lol. its Quik plastic!! lol yes, the putty stuff you use to patch PVC pipes and things like that
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

ironcow is on a distinguished road
so how did u make the lower piece...im thinking about doing the same thing so i would love as many pics as uve got
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point
How did you make the mold for it?
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Manthatguysfast
i was going to hold off telling you guys what it is cuz i didn't wanna hear any flames or how bad an idea this is - but i think it looks pretty decent even in this rough stage - so i don't care what you guys say lol. its Quik plastic!! lol yes, the putty stuff you use to patch PVC pipes and things like that

so you just cut a hole and slid the cd player in and then quickplasticed around it?
Old 08-03-2005
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
dang...this is so much easier than using fiberglass and bondo...
did my first fiberglassing and bonding couple days ago and it didn't go so well...so i'm thinking about using the quik plastic to redo mine...thanks!
Old 08-03-2005

Originally Posted by ironcow
so you just cut a hole and slid the cd player in and then quickplasticed around it?
in a nut shell...yes. lol. i bought the OEM piece and cut a hole in it. put the metal bracket in and molded that. if you try it - make sure to take out the bracket about 15 minutes after you're done molding so it doesn't get stuck in there - you want it to be tight, but be able to slide in and out.
Old 08-03-2005

Originally Posted by fullgrown
dang...this is so much easier than using fiberglass and bondo...
did my first fiberglassing and bonding couple days ago and it didn't go so well...so i'm thinking about using the quik plastic to redo mine...thanks!
no problemo. glad i could finally give some useful information to the site and to you guys! haha
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
looks nice, but are you sure it'll fit onto the car? did you cut the metal bracket off of the car? then behind it is the vents for the A/C, can't cut that, i was "testing" how far out my HU would have to be, and it looked like it would stick out a lot, compared to the length you have yours at.
Old 08-03-2005

yeap, im sure it'll fit. right now it fits except for the loom of wires on the very right side. i worked on it a lot last night but its so damn hot in my town that i could only take so long of being in that damn car! haha...but it'll fit fo sho...i'll make it! haha. and yes i cut out the metal brace in there. trust me, it'll fit down there.

wait...what are you talking about A/C vents behind that??? those are up top not even in my working area....

Last edited by Manthatguysfast; 08-03-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2005

this is the part that its hitting and i couldn't get it to move over last night - but it will - like i said it just got really really hot when i finally got it to fit in that far - so i just stopped and i'll *hopefully* finish it up tonight!!!

Last edited by manthatguysfast; 10-23-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

so does the head unit lock into the metal piece or do u need to screw it in at all?
Old 08-03-2005

well - on the DVD player i just got, the metal piece that is usually separate on most decks, is attached - SO i really don't know what im going to do as far as locking it in. im sure there is a way to secure it - and im going to have the shop who is going to wire the deck for me, put some kind of lock in the back.
Old 08-03-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Manthatguysfast
yeap, im sure it'll fit. right now it fits except for the loom of wires on the very right side. i worked on it a lot last night but its so damn hot in my town that i could only take so long of being in that damn car! haha...but it'll fit fo sho...i'll make it! haha. and yes i cut out the metal brace in there. trust me, it'll fit down there.

wait...what are you talking about A/C vents behind that??? those are up top not even in my working area....
i was talking about the big black plastic stuff in the back, which are the vents... when i was fitting it, i thought that would be a problem. but looks like those wires are there too. so i guess it'll be alright.

Quick Reply: EASY HU relocation!!! check this out