General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How to fix windshield wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
How to fix windshield wipers?

Mine are broken. I went through 2 brand new sets of rubber blades and they always drag across the windshield like the motor's gonna break. I've come to the conclusion that the problem lies with the car, since each time I bought brand new rubber blades. I even scrubbed them with alcohol and no difference. Even silicon spray only worked for an hour. Now they're back to dragging/skidding and its really annoying. This is the only car i've driven that does it. So...what needs to be done to fix this? It rains alot here and i really need wipers that work. Btw the windshield is spotless and smooth. Even the water beads up on it.
Old 07-27-2005
Civicforums Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
arent you running the teflon blades right now?
Old 07-27-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
man i saw a commerical about these TEFLON wipers... they seem convincing
Old 07-27-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
Originally Posted by 1jazzyciv
This may sound silly but... One day that it's nice out - take a hair drier or low temp heat gun and warm them up a bit - then run them for a while on a wet windshield. They should clear up and stop jumping - also try to clean them with an alcohol swab or alcohol on paper towels. The above post is correct - when they sit for a long period of time they get "bent" !!! Jazzy
from another thread ;d
Old 07-27-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
regular rubber is crap, teflon is crap! I've tried em all even oem (rubber again). They don't last more than a day and then it looks like they're hopping across the windshield. I can't deal with this here where you NEED wipers that work otherwise you literally can't see at all out the window thats how much it rains.

Looks like its time to try silicone. I already spent too much $ on junk wipers.

http://www.streakfreewiperblades.com...209/page/45029
Old 07-27-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by saugashan
from another thread ;d
That did NOT work
Old 07-27-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
are you just changing the inserts? have you changed the entire wiper blade?
Old 07-27-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
replace your windshield
Old 07-27-2005
Premium Member

my windshield is fine as i've already stated. its the wiper assembly. It pushes down too hard. You should se the wiper blade its just about bent in half from the pressure. Silicone at least keeps its shape. I'm gonna order some cause it says 5 years no streaking.
Old 07-27-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Rennen
are you just changing the inserts? have you changed the entire wiper blade?
i changed the inserts, then the whole assembly, then the whole assembly again.
Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
I find when my wipers get crappy, a cleaning of the blades with vinegar and a cleaning of the windshield with Rain-X gets things back to normal.
Old 07-27-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
I read somwhere that if you mix the water w/ some soapy solution like the one to clean the dishes, the wipers last a lot longer.
Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a rain x window washer, and it seems like it coats the window to make water move easier, it helps with the blades moving too. might wanna try it
Old 07-27-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
tension is suppied through the wiper arm and spring. If you want less pressure ( hoping this will fix the skipping problem) you can adjust the pressure a bit by bending your wiper arm up a little. ...hope it works for you.

Last edited by djmota; 07-28-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
Is it possible to do a wiper conversion like the Benzes, BMWs, and the new Avalons? You know, the really thin wipers...
Old 07-27-2005
Premium Member

i think silicone will solve this, but if not i'll find some other way
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Rain-X is a must for rain. Over 40 and you don't need wipers, and under 40 just the quick flip clears all the beaded water off. I've had my Civic for 3 years and I think I've changed the wipers once (and in FL the heat and afternoon rains tend to kill wipers).
Old 07-28-2005
Premium Member

my glass already beads water and I don't use rainx. The wipers are for city driving when you get huge downpours.
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Believe me Gearbox, it's a big differance, water doesnt just bead, it just flies down the window, and blades move smooth, try it out, it's like $2.00
Old 07-28-2005
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem as Gearbox. whenever i use my blades, it just starts skidding/jumping and there is a middle section on the driver's side wiperblade that doesn't remove the water. and i've changed the whole assembly. ALSO, i use the rain-x. so whenever it starts pouring, i can't see sh*t in front of me because the wipers are just jumping around not clearing the water. it drives me nuts
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
Get shorter blades, that was there is less friction when dragging across the windshield, I bought shorter ones than stock and they work fine....
Old 07-28-2005
Premium Member

thats the best idea i've heard yet. too bad i bought the other ones already. oh well they should work.
Old 07-28-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
the silicone ones are amazing i have heard, they should work out. but damn, 43 dollars for some wipers
Old 07-28-2005

k20txem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by djmota
tension is suppied throught the wiper arm and spring. If you want less pressure ( hoping this will fix the skipping problem) you can adjust the pressure a bit by bending your wiper arm up a little. ...hope it works for you.

yeah bending it usually helps out, mine used to do that just put a slight bend in it and all is well!
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

draganjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearbox - did you order the black wipers or the carbon fiber ones?
Old 07-28-2005
Premium Member

all black
Old 07-28-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
is it okay to wax the windshield?
Old 07-29-2005
Premium Member

i don't think it will stick, prolly a bad idea. I picked up some no touch glass stripper from napa auto parts. Its hard to find but supposed to be very good for cleaning everything off. People use rainx on the windshield but I don't like to. If you just keep the glass clean it beads on its own anyway.
Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

scrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of light
I just bought these trico wiper refills and they suck. They skip around when they are on their way up and are just annoying. So, whats ur recommendation gearbox?
Old 07-29-2005
Premium Member

silicone wipers. rubber just doesn't cut it. My brand new teflons, trico regular, all streaky and chattering, even oem. silicone doesn't get warped or ruined and should last at least 5+yrs.

Quick Reply: How to fix windshield wipers?