General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

quick gas gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road
quick gas gauge question

is the gas light that comes on for low fuel controlled by the ECU or by the needle? and at what amount of fuel is it supposed to come on? I did the diagnostics thing where the needles spin and stuff for my car and after that the fuel light has been coming on at about 3 lines above the red, before it would come at like 1. Just curious, dont know if the needle is right now, or reading a little too high! I dont want to run out of gas
Old 05-07-2005
4 cyllinders are good but 5 is better!

GreatWhite02 is an unknown quantity at this point
did u ever remove your fuel needle? If you did then chances are you put it back on wrong! If not then it sounds like a defect in the low fuel sensor in your tank! Your fuel needle is controlled by the sensor in the gas tank! When that sensor detects a predeterminded level of fuel left in the tank it tells the ecu and the ecu turns on your low fuel light! my low fuel light comes on when the needle is about a millimeter above the lowest line(the thick one on the bottom before the E). If it is still under warranty, take it to the dealership and have them fix it! Hondas have been known to have issues with fuel gauges fluctuating(somewhat inconsistent readings) My mom's civic when she is low on gas, the needle actually touches the E but the gas light never comes on! The only other option is to buy a new cluster which can be expensive and roll your odometer back to zero!
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GreatWhite02
did u ever remove your fuel needle? If you did then chances are you put it back on wrong! If not then it sounds like a defect in the low fuel sensor in your tank! Your fuel needle is controlled by the sensor in the gas tank! When that sensor detects a predeterminded level of fuel left in the tank it tells the ecu and the ecu turns on your low fuel light! my low fuel light comes on when the needle is about a millimeter above the lowest line(the thick one on the bottom before the E). If it is still under warranty, take it to the dealership and have them fix it! Hondas have been known to have issues with fuel gauges fluctuating(somewhat inconsistent readings) My mom's civic when she is low on gas, the needle actually touches the E but the gas light never comes on! The only other option is to buy a new cluster which can be expensive and roll your odometer back to zero!
yea i removed my needles, however when i put it back on i put it a little lower then what it previously read in anticipating this problem.. id rather have it read low, then high. I painted my needles black, do u think if i bring it to honda theyll say they won't fix it cuz i removed the needles? But, i had a problem with the fuel gauge before i removed it, and still do. LIke if i turn off the car it might read a certain amount, then when i turn it back on (next time i drive) itll go down like 4 lines!!
Old 05-07-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
i think that's a TSB that honda can fix for you. that happens to me, too. when i drive for a while and stop, let's say i have "half" a tank of gas. the next time i start the car, i'll be at 1/4 tank.
Old 05-07-2005

chugster is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by infinite012
i think that's a TSB that honda can fix for you. that happens to me, too. when i drive for a while and stop, let's say i have "half" a tank of gas. the next time i start the car, i'll be at 1/4 tank.
my does that too but it will get back up to half tank when i start driving again. One time i had a tank of full gas and it went down to E and went back up.
Old 05-07-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
bs chug. lol. 1 more post til 200! you can do it!
Old 05-07-2005
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I think this might get answered better in tech stuff
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

^^ sorry hurts, i don't mind the problem with the gauge.. its just when it gets really low i'm not sure if i truly have say 1 line left, or if i really hvae 5 left! And sometimes ill go home and the car will say 4 lines left.. then i turn on the car, and im in a hurry and don't have time for gas, and the gas light goes on!! and i get scared
Old 05-07-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I'm not sure which is which, but I do know the light is suppose to come on when you have about 4L left, for us US people, that's a little over a gallon. That's when it comes on and stays on. Next time the light comes on go fill your car up, if you put in more then 10 gallons, you know the needle is wrong and light is right, if you only put in 6 or 7 gallons, you know the needle is fine the light is screwy.
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by chugster
my does that too but it will get back up to half tank when i start driving again. One time i had a tank of full gas and it went down to E and went back up.
^hahahaha my **** does that too!!....gas light turns on but it goes up above the E line....
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
I'm not sure which is which, but I do know the light is suppose to come on when you have about 4L left, for us US people, that's a little over a gallon. That's when it comes on and stays on. Next time the light comes on go fill your car up, if you put in more then 10 gallons, you know the needle is wrong and light is right, if you only put in 6 or 7 gallons, you know the needle is fine the light is screwy.
your smart, give me your laptop
Old 05-07-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ACURAwerx
your smart, give me your laptop
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
our fuel gauges aint as bad as the 6th gens, I drive a 1.6 EL and on windy ramps my fuel sensor goes off. Its definatly not the needle its some sensor in the tank
Old 05-07-2005
Registered!!

today i turned off my car with the needle just under half a tank. Later i drive my car again and my gas light comes and i thought of the "test" fish said to do (which is smart), however i didn't have my debit card, so i filled it up with 13 bux of gas.
Old 05-08-2005

NoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enoughNoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enough
The manual says the light comes on with 2.2 US GAL remaining. Tank is 13.2, light theoretically will go off at 11. Multiply your MPGx2 and that's your safe to-go distance.