General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Overfilling crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004
Bone Stock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Overfilling crankcase

I came back today from the Honda dealer for an oil change and I checked the dipstick tonight and I estimated they overfilled the engine by about a quart too much. It was way over the full line. Is this bad for the engine? Should I take it back? My sister has an Altima and her Nissan dealer does the same thing.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, bad things can happen when the crankcase gets over filled, call up the dealer and ask them if this is a normal practice, if they say it's ok, then don't worry about it, if it ends up breaking your engine, then honda will have to take care of it.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
This is exactly why I change my own oil. Re-check the dip again and make sure it's on level ground, and at operating temp. If it is indeed well over the max line take it back or drain it yourself. I wouldn't wait for something to go wrong and hope Honda fixes it either.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

bickford05 is an unknown quantity at this point
i would just drain it yourself... I think its alot easyer to just do it yourself, then you know that everyhtings dont right.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
the problem with draining the oil himself is that he paid for a service and why should he have to go out and buy new oil to fix their mistake, he should just swing by the dealership or wherever he had it changed, and talk to one of the service techs, I'm pretty sure they'll take care of him, if they don't then chances are he'll never go their again.
Old 03-31-2004
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Renamazazo
the problem with draining the oil himself is that he paid for a service and why should he have to go out and buy new oil to fix their mistake, he should just swing by the dealership or wherever he had it changed, and talk to one of the service techs, I'm pretty sure they'll take care of him, if they don't then chances are he'll never go their again.
I agree. He paid for a service that was not delivered properly. However ,I would call the dealership before driving the car around and ask them what they recommend. 1 quart over is a big deal!
Old 04-01-2004
Bone Stock!

Thanks for the replies guys. I brought my car back to the dealer yesterday and they agree to adjust the oil level for me. They did it while I waited. I was going to check the level right there after they did it but then I didnt have any thing to wipe with. I went home and checked it and I was pissed, they only drained some of it. It is now about half an inch above the full mark on the dipstick. I am going to call back later and just talk **** but other than that I don't know what to do. If I end up going back there again they better pay me something because I have wasted so much time and gas.
Old 04-02-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by dalaw
Thanks for the replies guys. I brought my car back to the dealer yesterday and they agree to adjust the oil level for me. They did it while I waited. I was going to check the level right there after they did it but then I didnt have any thing to wipe with. I went home and checked it and I was pissed, they only drained some of it. It is now about half an inch above the full mark on the dipstick. I am going to call back later and just talk **** but other than that I don't know what to do. If I end up going back there again they better pay me something because I have wasted so much time and gas.
Talk to a manager and explain in detail what happened. They should at least give you the next oil change for free for your inconvienece. Next time bring a paper towel with you to check your oil before you drive off as these guys can obviously not be trusted.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2004
Registered!!

odie is an unknown quantity at this point
make them tow the car to their dealer on their expense.

you shouldn't be driving the car like that... the overfill could really damage your engine. it will cause the oil to foam or bubble up, and you can imagine how much protection that will give your engine....

by the way, what's the name and address of your dealer?

Last edited by odie; 04-05-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2004
Bone Stock!

man i already driven the car around for a while. I'll call them up and see what they are gonna do. My sister took her Accord in for service last time and they fvcked up her alarm system. The dealer is Diamond Bar Honda.
Old 04-05-2004

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
I filled my Hyundai Excel up a lil bit to much once and didn't realize it........OH MAN.....I got on the highway one day and floored the hell outta it and nuttin but BLUE *** smoke poured out of the tailpipe.....and the engine made this aweful bogged down noise......HAHAHAH. Now...I would never make that same mistake with my Civic.
Old 04-05-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Titleist71
I filled my Hyundai Excel up a lil bit to much once and didn't realize it........OH MAN.....I got on the highway one day and floored the hell outta it and nuttin but BLUE *** smoke poured out of the tailpipe.....and the engine made this aweful bogged down noise......HAHAHAH. Now...I would never make that same mistake with my Civic.
Wow, I've never actually seen that happen before. Thats weird that the smoke is blue. I wonder what causes that? You would think it would be a black or white color?
Old 04-05-2004
Registered!!

Maurizio is an unknown quantity at this point
I overfilled my parents Ford Thunderbird with oil. The engine siezed up on the highway. The oil light did go on but it was ignored.

Anyways, I would call the Honda head office customer service on this one.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

celonajones is an unknown quantity at this point
Me too, have my engine oil change by Pepboys Jersey City in New Jersey. They did a really bad job. Not only they overfilled my engine with engine oil ( about 1 inch above the upper mark of the dipstick, first thing in the morning when it is cool), they did not fill up the coolant till the minimum fill mark.

As a result, extra engine oil put heavy stress on my engine and, as a consequence, my car lost a lot of power when I drive. Malfunction Indicator lamp is also lighted up. ETC code read as P1362. ( TDC no Signal).

Promptly, I get to my regular Midas and get a 5 minutes oil change, reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery.

Immediately, engine sounds perfect, right idle speed, smooth transmission. Power 's back right away.

It had been 2 weeks and everything s back to normal.