General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Head work real HP gain

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sakabatou is an unknown quantity at this point
Head work real HP gain

Have any one tried to do some modifications to there head. I need to know if any one has the specs on our engine. I need like valve to piston clearance and so on. I don’t even know if it is worth all the work. I want to do some port work, valve seats, head shaving and getting an extra spring for the valve springs. And also have any one tried to modify there throttle body. I’m using a Non Vtec head. But anything for HP
Old 02-12-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Try this http://www.dh-racing.com
Old 02-13-2004
Registered!!

dragin will become famous soon enoughdragin will become famous soon enough
yea ide say dh is a good bet
Old 02-14-2004
JDM-Jonathan David Martin- I own everybody

topnotch7gen is on a distinguished road
hey is the dh-racing crank pulley a big improvement for the money or is it even worth it?
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

mootlif3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Single groove has proven 20+hp. Duel groove was just made and shipped out so everyone's waiting to receive them.
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by mootlif3
Single groove has proven 20+hp. Duel groove was just made and shipped out so everyone's waiting to receive them.
When was this proven??? I searched, but didn't find any info on when it was dyno'd...I remember seeing the dyno that cat posted, but he didn't get to finish because of his clutch going out. I really doubt it makes as much power as they think it will, but who knows. I would love for them to prove me wrong though.
Old 02-14-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It should have at least 10 hp, being that it's only 1/6th the weight of the stock pulley. It also supplies less power to the AC. But yeah, port work should show gains of 20+whp. Nothing has been proven on a dyno as of now on our civics.
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Re: Head work real HP gain

Originally posted by sakabatou
Have any one tried to do some modifications to there head. I need to know if any one has the specs on our engine. I need like valve to piston clearance and so on. I don’t even know if it is worth all the work. I want to do some port work, valve seats, head shaving and getting an extra spring for the valve springs. And also have any one tried to modify there throttle body. I’m using a Non Vtec head. But anything for HP
See, that's what I love about this site.....You hit the nail right on the head. Everyone will tell you to go to DH-racing, when they have no proof (or don't want to post it) in the form of dyno graphs. I find it so hard to believe that so many people jump on the bandwagon. Most will believe anything you tell them. I still refuse to believe that a crank pully alone will give you 20 HP. People that have them claim they can feel a difference, and I'm sure you can, hell pretty much any modification you do with our torqueless wonder you should be able to feel. But 20 HP is borderline non-believeable for me.

Unless someone can come up with a real dyno sheet (like catalyst has done with his turbo setup) than I personally don't plan on wasting my money on some of these mods. PnP the head will give you a gain - and there are plenty of choices out there besides DH (which is probably swamped since everyone here is on the bandwagon).

Bottom line - use your best judgement....
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

There is a thing called saving money. I don’t care to spend a lot of money on some intake, pulley and exhaust system. But none of this modification makes real HP gain. I don’t care what anyone says but a pulley will not make 20hp on our civics. The only thing that will make Hp gain is to make higher compression rating on our engines, a new chip and a new fuel management system. Example 1.8L GSR engine has a compression ratio of around 10.0.1 it makes 175hp and a Type R 1.8L engine makes 195hp with a compression ratio of around 10.6.1. Type R and GSR share the same engine with some modification to the head. The .6 difference in compression ratio made 20hp. That is called real HP. I want to do modification on the engine head but I will void my warranty. But if any one had tried and made some real hp gain I will be willing do all the work of modifying my engine.
Old 02-14-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
DH-racing claims that their ported haed work gives good gains. And honda will never know if you changed anything in the engine if they can't see it. So that shouldn't be a problem. Looks like you've got it figured out. The intake exhaust stuff does nothing on our cars. Save for the big mods. SF turbo kit is proven 189 whp at 8psi (stock is only 100whp).
Old 02-14-2004
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
remember how many people lost money and got soo pissed at their gude package.
Old 02-15-2004

So buying DH-racing's crank pulley isnt worth it? I know its not going to give somebody a 20 hp but it will help out and thats what matters I just want to know if its worth the price? anyone?
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

Goldcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, porting and polishing the head is a major HP gain. You will be shocked. Expect none less than 30 Hp. Its one of the best thiongs you can do to it, with just a intake, header, full cat exhaust.
And also, i just ordered the double groove pulleys from Dh. I haven't sent them payment yet because money is a little tight right now, but i cant wait.
Old 02-16-2004

So is it worth the money? thats all I'm asking!
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You are dreaming.

Originally posted by Goldcivic01
Dude, porting and polishing the head is a major HP gain. You will be shocked. Expect none less than 30 Hp.
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

I don’t know what kind of hp gain you will get from a pulley but if you have the money sure get it. Aftermarket pulley provides less drag on the engine making some hp. HD pulley is lighter than stock pulley it bypasses AC and Power steering. If you can live with out AC and power steering sure get it. You can also buy lighter gears. I’m sure if you had a VTEC engine porting, Valve grind, 5 angle valve seats, and shaving the head will give a lot of HP. If you are going for a NA car this is the way to go. If you are going all out you can do Porting, oversize titanium valves and double valve springs. The only question is do you have the time and money to do all this work.
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Goldcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
no, i am dead serious. Thats exactly what you can expect. no ****. Yes it is hightly worth it.
Old 02-16-2004

So you lose your AC and Power steering? If thats true then I dont want to go with it, I need my AC in Arizona, its almost summer again here!
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

i think that if you get the one that is double grooved pulley you will not lose your AC. But you will have to check with the dealer.
Old 02-16-2004
Premium Member

I and more than 30 other people have the dual groove pulley that keeps both AC AND PS. Should expect a 10whp gain, instead of 20 for the single groove. And yes, the head work should also give 20+whp. I'm getting ported head and pulley, so I'll let you know what happens. The DH pulley is less than 1 pound, compared to the stock 6 pound pulley. That's alot of extra weight that the engine has to turn at higher rpms.
Old 02-16-2004

thanks a lot gearbox you are a big help!
Old 02-17-2004
Fuzzy Boy

gearbox is da man.. Hey buddie we got to see when ur free on a sunday for I could give you ur money and u could put da **** in the ride later bro take care
Old 02-17-2004
Premium Member

Yeah man let me know. We have to get your voltmeter installed. I hope Jon still has that mount piece...
Old 02-17-2004
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
DH has my head right now. There doing a full race P&P job on it. Im doing a dyno run as soon as I get it back.
Old 02-17-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by cwick187
When was this proven??? I searched, but didn't find any info on when it was dyno'd...I remember seeing the dyno that cat posted, but he didn't get to finish because of his clutch going out. I really doubt it makes as much power as they think it will, but who knows. I would love for them to prove me wrong though.
I thought this was proven on an acura.

and 10 hp was proven on a turbo'd 7th gen..
I have heard not stock dyno runs with the crank pulley

heck you can get five for free just by removing the power stering.
Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exactly, it was proven on an Acura (NOT CIVIC) Also, the single pulley is "supposed" to make 20-25+whp on boost apps..Not 10....Read the whole thread before commenting please. We haven't got all the details yet , because CAT has not completed the dyno with new clutch.
Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by RiceBuRNeR
DH has my head right now. There doing a full race P&P job on it. Im doing a dyno run as soon as I get it back.
I hope this doesn't turn into another throttle body spacer fiasco...
Old 02-17-2004
Fuzzy Boy

I got that thing from Jon so its all good..
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

Captain is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a DH-Pulley thread battle right now, take this pulley battle there. The guy got on the thread asking about headwork. And he is right when he says no pulley will shell out 20hp. MAYBE at the flywheel. And if someone wants to prove us and anyone else who says no to the 20hp gain wrong, show us a dyno sheet, FROM A D17. As for headwork, you can get it done virtually anywhere. People are going through DH because they are offering good deals. Headwork works best with a FI but will be felt on NA as well. We have a few people on the site awaiting parts from DH and its only a matter of time before people start shelling out dyno numbers.
Old 02-18-2004
Passin' You On 19's.....!

futurersxswap is an unknown quantity at this point
dh has dne the bestr headwork for YEARS... FACT>.. world record holders...

Quick Reply: Head work real HP gain