General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

racing harness in a sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
racing harness in a sedan?

ok so i wanna put in racing buckets and harnesses in my sedan without sacrificing the rear seat functionality... is this possible? i was thinking about mounting a bar at the base of the front seats to anchor the harnesses to.. will this work like it should? or would i have to weld it to the frame? preferably i would like to have it be reversable... and i plan on putting racing buckets in the rear as well...
thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Get harnesses with tail strap releases. You can't use them when there's people in the back seat, but then again, without roll over protection (a roll cage or bar) you shouldn't use them on the street at all. There's lots of harnesses available with the tail releases, Schroth Rallye, OMP, Sparco/Sabelt, I'm sure there are others.
DO NOT bolt them to a bar behind the seat. you put all the stress on the bracket, not the bolt, and the bracket will break if you're in any sort of accident. there needs to be no more than a 45 degree from horizontal angle on the tail strap from the point where it is mounted to where it contacts the seat back (or your shoulders). This is an FIA mandated rule.
Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

SMURF_KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah think about it if you place a bar where you said you want it then if you hit something that bar will break causing you and passanger to fly out of windows I think
Old 10-28-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
No dude... that really has nothing to do with mounting them to a bar... the bar would theoretically be welded into the car. The end of the seatbelt has a bracket on it. You then bolt that to the car. The bracket is just some kind of 1/8" heat treated plate steel. Its nothing overly impressive. However seat belt bolts are incredibly strong. If you're in an accident and the harness tailstraps are bolted right behind the seat, its going to pull up on the strap and it will snap the bracket in 2. If you do it right, and the angle is less than 45 degrees from horizontal, then it puts the force on the bolt in shear... and it is incredibly unlikely that you can produce enough force to shear off a bolt the size of a seat belt bolt.
Old 10-28-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
well if i placed the bar high enuff on on the pillars between teh doors, i should be fine right?
Old 10-28-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Shoulder level. Just mount the bar right behind the seats at shoulder height. Make sure you use big bolts or weld it into the B pillars... it has to be strong, or you'll go through the windshield.
Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
the bar idea would definitely make it very tough to reverse the install. that will make selling the car a bit harder when youre gonna sell it. plus you might not really want to be messing with the frame of the car and voiding the warrantee on it or something. im pretty sure if you weld a bar to the frame and then get in an accident where there is structural damage, your insurance company will just tell you to **** off cause you messed with the structural integrity of the car.

just get the harnesses with the tail strap release. you can use those normally when youre driving, and just use the oem seatbelt when you got people in the back.
Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
This is probably the best bet, http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store.p...hisPage=1#1327
The rallye 4.

I personally am going to go with the Profi III ASM cause it's a 4 point 3 inch belt, though you lose access to the back seat. behind the driver, but I rarely have 5 people in my car anyway so...
Old 10-29-2003
Registered!!

hothondacivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
acually since we have hondas ther is no frame we only have a sub frame under the motor so if you welded ina roll bar or cage it would just be welded onto the plate in the floor it would be effective for rolling over and saving your life but wouldnt helpa whole lot with body roll like it would if you had a car with a frame and you cut thru the frame and welded it in . so im not sure about warranty thoug since its only touching your floor plates . But if you decide to do it weld carfully so you can put carpet back over the weld spots so it looks clean then when you wanna sell it cut the roll cage out and put some glue on the carpet and stick it down bam no one ever will know you had a roll cage unless you cut thru the dash or trunk top to put in a 10 point or something like that but if you want just a hoop or simple bar behind the front seats do its easily removable