General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Right way to increase idle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zigen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Right way to increase idle?

On a civic ex, how do i correctly(right way) raise the idle????where can i find it??? thanx in advance. My friend raised the screw near the throttle body, i think its the throttle stop screw, now thats real bad since you're not supposed to mess with it, his car got a ll jerky after the adjustment. More power
Old 07-19-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The idle is electronically controled. I don't think there is an easy way to do this.
Old 07-19-2003
Samoan<^>(-_-)<^>Power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
krayziebonet4l is an unknown quantity at this point
you can adjust the throttle cable near the back of the engine bay connected to the throttle body. tighten the wire until you idle at about 850-900 rpms.
Old 07-19-2003
Registered!!

5PEED EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by krayziebonet4l
you can adjust the throttle cable near the back of the engine bay connected to the throttle body. tighten the wire until you idle at about 850-900 rpms.

After it, if properly launched, car is really jumpy off the line. I know
Old 07-20-2003
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
You have to keep some slack in that wire... I had mine too tight and it popped off at like 3am coming back from the bar, it sucked bad... I am so glad a cop didnt come up on me while i was fiddling under the hood... trust me.. that throttle cable adjustment is a bunch of BS... just leave it where it is....
Old 07-20-2003
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
also, i would imagine it will eventually lower the rpms automatically anyway. Here's a test... Sit in the car (driveway or somethin) and lightly push on the gas, bringing the idle between 1000-1200 rpms. After some time goes by, the rpms drop again back to around 750-800. If you let off the gas, the rpms will drop for a sec (about 600 rpms) then eventually run around 710-760. I have a digital tach (HKS Type-1 TT) and I saw this first hand.
Old 07-20-2003
Registered!!

VileOne99 is an unknown quantity at this point
the car definitely adjusts idle as needed, depending on conditions. on hot days during the summer, my car idles very low, but on cold winter days it can idle around 1000 or higher.
Old 07-20-2003
Forum Sponsor

NeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz ErthangNeonImpact Ownz Erthang
just leave the damn throttle cable where the hell it already is...

simple as that..
Old 07-21-2003
Registered!!

imPHOrt racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Adjusting the throttle needs to be adjusted 2 ways, the Throttle screw on the actual Throttle Body and the Throttle Cable, try to do both, if you decide to make the Idle higher and you just adjust the Screw the car will be jumpy but if ya want a smoother ride along with higher idle, adjust both throttle cable and screw, I did that on my Integra and it runs pretty well, but just like any modification on a car most of them will have a CON the con is, sometimes it comes loose if you dont do it correct and tight, and well idle can jump from about 1K to like 500 instantly if you Rev to hard or perhaps AC on to long, kinda hard to explain but it happens. Seems like a simple task to adjust the cable and screw but most peeps mess it up so ask someone to help ya...one thing id like to ask is, why would you wanna raise your idle? you burn more gas ya know, and you dont get more power, just mere quicker response, the only reason i raised my idle was b.c. it was jus way to low to begin with and seemed like it was gonna stall....if anyone wanna raises their idle the correct way is Pulleys! Pulleys is the best way to raise your idle b.c. of the lighter pulley being spun by the belt etc...

Last edited by imPHOrt racer; 07-21-2003 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2003
cool beans

zinkyroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Jesus dont mess with it. The ECU determines everything that eeds to be done with the fuel. It doesnt make you go faster...
Old 07-21-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah. . faster is retarded it doesn't make you go faster. I tightened mine, it didn't seem like it did anything. The car still idles the same. If it responded faster I didn't really realize it. I was only able to turn it like like 1/8 of a turn before it was tight. . I know they leave it a little loose, but no biggie. . Might as well just leave it.
Old 07-21-2003
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by NeonImpact
just leave the damn throttle cable where the hell it already is...

simple as that..
Listen to this gentleman.
Old 07-20-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I adjusted my cable cause it was loose, but I still need slightly higher idle. Even 100rpms higher would be good from 600. Has anyone tried to adjust the throttle screw Honda tells you not to adjust? My car really needs a higher idle to get more air into the engine. Otherwise, the car shakes.
Old 07-21-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Gearbox, it looks like the only fix for your problem is to have the ECM/PCM software updated. The idle is totally computer controlled. Opening the throttle slightly will only make the ECU compensate and bring it back down. I've been scratching my head on this, but it looks like there's no easy way to fool the ECU.
Old 07-21-2004
Premium Member

I will be sending my TB to maxbore.com to get it ported, and he is going to put the tps back on using real screws instead of those tamper-proof rivets. When I get it back, I'll just need to loosen the screws and move the tps up or down until the idle is where I want it. I think that should work.
Old 07-21-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Yes, that works, to a point. You'll have to balance the TPS and the physical throttle opening to keep correct Air/Fuel ratio. Good idea to put screws in it.
Old 07-21-2004
Premium Member

What do you mean by balance? I don't wanna adjust it and make it worse. Oh and btw I checked the rpms with my vafc and it gets as low as 600rpms when the shaking starts. The book says the range is 700+/-50 rpms, so mine is even below that.