Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Experienced honda mechanics please chime in.

Old 06-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iceminion is an unknown quantity at this point
Experienced honda mechanics please chime in.

Hello, and thank you for reading this.

I bought a 97 civic and I am done tearing out my hair, now I am about to rip my head off in frustration.

it has the d16y8 5-speed.

I filled up at a holiday gas station, and drove about 60 miles, when I got close to home, I noticed that there was not enough power to maintain freeway speeds, so I dropped it down to 4th, as I approached home, it got worse and worse, I limped it home in first.

It sat in my driveway for months, at first i was able to move the car, i couldnt rev it past about 1500RPM, I finished building my wideband controller, and I managed to get a reading ~10:1 while it was running, as the months proceeded the car no longer is able to run, it can sputter and run for a second here and there.

I replaced the distributor with a junkyard one, same issue, sputters, kinda runs, fails. I could have gotten 2 bad distributors in a row...bad coils? same state of going bad?

Plugs, wires, same issue.

150 compression across the board

fuel pressure has kinda been high, but it has ALWAYS been high, i think it was like 45 PSI, is that too high? it shouldnt matter, I took my eclipse's adjustable FPR and at idle I brought the PSI up to 60 and it didnt change the idle much at all.

The alternator is probably going out, it was flickering, but it was fine for a long time.

So being a gung-ho mechanic/gearhead, I was like "it HAS to be the ECU, because I have spark, fuel and compression" so I bought, constructed, and installed MegaSquirt 1 v2.2, Used a HEI out of a chevy truck as the ignitor and coil driver.

all sensors check in just fine with megasquirt

Everything configured and wired up properly turn key = Car sputters, runs for a second or so, and dies, same as before.

I am going to pump all the gas from the fuel pump into my camry to prove the gas is just fine.

Could all injectors fail at once? that is the only part that i havent swapped out yet. Overvolted? remember it GRADUALLY died, over a span of about an hour.

FML.
Old 06-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Experienced honda mechanics please chime in.

sounds like bad gas to me. dont buy from no-name stations is my first rule.

1. chevron/citgo
2. mobil/philips66
3. shell if youre desperate

yes there are big differences in gas quality. ive heard plenty of stories about a car driving fine and then dying after getting gas. try checking the fuel filter first.
Old 06-03-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like bad gas to me. dont buy from no-name stations is my first rule.

1. chevron/citgo
2. mobil/philips66
3. shell if youre desperate

yes there are big differences in gas quality. ive heard plenty of stories about a car driving fine and then dying after getting gas. try checking the fuel filter first.
Old 06-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iceminion is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the double post!

I don't think the fuel filter is the problem, I have a fuel pressure gauge, and trust me the filter isn't clogged.

I have personally never heard of a car dying from something like this, Holiday gas stations are a major chain so this isn't a no-name station at all!

Im gonna pump the tank dry and try some new gas......I wish I had some injectors to swap in, but since this is a uniform problem, I would doubt that all 4 injectors are clogged/ruined at once.

will update with result.
Old 06-03-2009
Premium Member

its very possible bad gas clogged all the injectors at once.