Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

need help!!!!

Old 01-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italiano3kgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Question need help!!!!

i just bought a 93 ex civic the other day. im having some problems with the car and need some help. when you start the car it will rev by itself. it will do this the whole time that the car is on. i disconnected the Idle Air Control plug and it didnt rev as high but it is still reving by itself.

also my dash lights are not working, like the guages are not lighting up along with everything else on the dash. the iterior light works and all the outside lights work..
thanks
Old 01-08-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need help!!!!

uncontroled revving is the result of a bad throttle position (TPS) sensor most of the time, or a vacuum line leak. you may need to just replace the whole throttle body (make sure you get the right one for auto or manual trans). check all the vacuum lines and replace with new if they seem worn.

check fuses for the interior lights. if they are all good, maybe the bulbs are all burnt, or someone installed a stereo the wrong way and blew the whole lighting circuit which is much harder to fix.
Old 01-09-2009
Registered!!

Question Re: need help!!!!

wait, how do you install a stereo the wrong way? lol just wondering. i pulled the gauge assembaly out today and the bulbs look to be blown. if they are all blown, why would they all blow at the same time???
Old 01-10-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well maybe they blew one at a time and nobody cared to replace them and then you bought it like that? or if you try to install a stereo and short out the dimmer wire, it will fry the entire lighting circuit including all gauge and dash lights (its not fuse protected). so if changing a bulb doesnt work, its trashed and you need to replace all the dash pieces and get a new set of gauges. thats a last resort tho, be sure you check EVERY fuse in the car under the dash (above brake pedal) and also under the hood by the battery.
Old 01-10-2009
Registered!!

Question Re: need help!!!!

well the weird part is that the light for the brights work and coolant fill light comes on. so some of the lights still work. also i took the gauge assembly out and the lights that are on it did not come stock. they have blue rubber nipples on the tip to make them appear like blue led's. so they have been replaced before.. also i think he installed the radio, so he might have messed something up. im not sure but when you peel the blue nipple off of the lights they look blackish like they have been blown but i dont see a broke filament inside.
Old 01-10-2009
Premium Member

possibly just blown then. try replacing one and see if it lights up. autolumination.com has a good selection
Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

tested the lights and they all are good but dont work while they are on the car. im going to go an alternate rout and use blue x mas lights, lol, trust me it will look good. im going to cut the x mas lights so there are only 7-8 lights on there then put them in the holes and tape em down. put them on a toggle switch on the dash and call it a day.

im more worried about the weird reving. evryone is telling me its the IACV. do you thin thats what it is??
Old 01-11-2009
Premium Member

iacv do not really cause the rpm to go up and down tho, it only keeps the car at a steady idle so the car doesnt stall out. the tps if broken will cause rpm surge. the easiest way is clean the iacv and fitv and see if it fixes it. if not, new throttle body time. its so hard to find just the tps and even harder to install and calibrate it that its better to just get a whole tb and throw it on.
Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

im sure that you are right..im not use to a honda. i have a 3000gt and im use to everything on that. but im just saying that i have called many places and they have all told me its most likely the IACV. your telling me its the throttle body. i dont have much money to get this car back on the raod and i dont want to buy the throttle body and have it still do the same thing. are you sure that its not the IACV.?.?.?.?
Old 01-11-2009
Premium Member

like i said, try cleaning the iacv first. they rarely break, just gets clogged with carbon. take it off and spray it inside with carb cleaner til it looks new. then reinstall and see what happens. the iacv is the small sensor piece thats bolted to the throttle body and has coolant lines feeding into it. if that doesnt work, look for a cheap throttle body on ebay, usually around $50. make sure you get the right one depending on the transmission you have auto or manual.
Old 01-13-2009
Registered!!

i looked on ebay for a thorttle body and couldnt find a cheap one.
its a 93 civic ex 1.6 manual trans. 2 door all i could find were $200 ones