Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Gettin Started

Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92blk(ivi( is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Gettin Started

I have a '92 Black Honda Civic EX w/ a D16Z6 engine. (Small I know) Anyways, I recently installed an Injen cold air intake on it and now I'm lookin to buy some headers. I was thinking about going w/ DC Sports and then later getting a DC sports catback or a Greddy SP2 catback. My question to y'all is what should I get next after the headers and catback? I thought about new fuel injectors and a new fuel rail but I'm open to suggestions. Thnx.
Old 01-22-2006
Registered!!

Albaniancivics is an unknown quantity at this point
get the venom injectors, aem fuel rail. the get a stage 2 clutch with a 9 pounts flywheel and change the ecu to obd1 tune it and you ll be set
Old 01-22-2006
Registered!!

imported_Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats the point of upgrading the injectors?
All that will do is deliver too much unneccesary fuel. If you're not dramatically increase the power output or doing internal upgrades, injector upgrades are a waste of time and money.
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

Tayler can only hope to improve
Stay away from DC headers. They are not good. Go to the Anr website and have them make you a custom header. Why do you want to stay with the D16? Unless you are going turbo its a waste of money to build it because you wont get the power you need. Save up for a B18 vtec or nonvtec whichever(nonvtec will be a hell of alot cheaper) and build that. Youll have a lot more torque all the way through and more hp.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

imported_Mikey is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard good things about DC headers, whats wrong with them?

I agree about the engine, there is little point building up a second class engine. Get the better engine and take it from there. I believe the B18 will perform better in stock form that your D16 performs modified.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

DC headers have a tendancy to crack, and wont put out as much hp as a AN-R header. If you are limited to money they are fine, but if you are planning on keeping the car a long time and building it proggressively do it right the first time and get a top of the line header, trust me I know these things from experience.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

down ................
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

[QUOTE=Tayler][QUOTE=92blk(ivi(]I have a '92 Black Honda Civic EX w/ a D16Z6 engine. (Small I know) Anyways, I recently installed an Injen cold air intake on it and now I'm lookin to buy some headers.

Header
Header
Header
Not headers
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

imported_raven can only hope to improve
next step

How about a tuner cat converter or exhaust? If you have a cold air intake system, your stock exhaust and converter will really slow you down.

I also suggest changing your valve springs and titanium retainers, as well as your camshafts and cam sprockets. I would go with Crowers, but it is up to your discretion.

If not, try changing your wiring, spark plugs, oil filters, the basics. Some believe changing such minute details won't help, but I've found it to be benficial in the long run.

good luck
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by raven
I also suggest changing your valve springs and titanium retainers, as well as your camshafts and cam sprockets. I would go with Crowers, but it is up to your discretion.
What good would it do to get titanium valve train when it is completely not needed with his current mods? Intake and cams doesnt make a valvetrain neccesary..... I have alot alot more mods than that and i dont have them and my car runs very strong. The only reason he would need to get a valvetrain is if he got stage 3 cams......
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

imported_TunerX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tayler
What good would it do to get titanium valve train when it is completely not needed with his current mods? Intake and cams doesnt make a valvetrain neccesary..... I have alot alot more mods than that and i dont have them and my car runs very strong. The only reason he would need to get a valvetrain is if he got stage 3 cams......

For somebody with a decade old car that's only putting 155 to the wheels I would'nt b giving too much advice.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

I would'nt be posting those numbers up there if I were you, they are not exactly anything to be proud of.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

haha ok tunerx, what do you drive that puts down numbers?? I am 16 and i have a low 14 sec car, i wouldnt say im doing to bad. What do you drive? Whats your best times on the track?? 155 to the wheels isnt bad for all motor. What does my car being 11 years old have to do with what i know about cars. We should meet up some time and race, punk.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tayler
Tayler...what was your original hp and what mods have you put on your car? I'm not tryin to dis you or anything but dang....i have 125 stock (nothin to be proud of) and it would only take like 3 really good brand name bolts ons to achieve 155 right?....just curious.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

that's assuming that they all produce at least 10 hp....
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

My car has 155 wheel horse power and 200 at the crank ok.... Unless your car is a b18c vtec or better you do no not have 125 wheel horse power ok...
My mods
Modifications:
B18B swap
b16 pistons
stage 2 crower cams
Skunk 2 cam gears
AN-R custon equal length header
short ram
short throw
type R tranny
Custom exhaust
coil overs
17" Konig Next's
Apexi-AFC
Oil pressure and a/f gauge
Carbon fiber hood
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

um actually...unless the freakin manuals lie that much to you then yes I have AT LEAST 125....no need to get offensive either....and what the heck are we arguing about 125 horsepower for anyway....that's stupid. I'm just goin by factory specs and the assumption that my intake added 10 hp to it...that was all.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

[QUOTE=92blk(ivi(]I have a '92 Black Honda Civic EX w/ a D16Z6 engine. (Small I know)

Ok,i am going to try and tell you without getting offenseive. You have two kinds of hp, wheel hp, and hp at the crank. My car has around 200 at the crank ok, 155 at the wheels. Your manual gives you crank hp, so since you have a intake, you are going to be lucky if you break 90 some whp. Now try getting over 60 whp in all motor mods. instead of three simple bolt ons, you now have a ways to go....
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 92blk(ivi(
um actually...unless the freakin manuals lie that much to you then yes I have AT LEAST 125....no need to get offensive either....and what the heck are we arguing about 125 horsepower for anyway....that's stupid. I'm just goin by factory specs and the assumption that my intake added 10 hp to it...that was all.
Factory doesnt tell you whp they tell you what is produces at the crank. Sure at the crank you have 125 but not at the wheels. When i show my 155 that is wheel hp, crank hp is around 200.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

gotcha...and i realize that my D16Z6 isn't a fast engine....but i don't have the money to buy a swap for it...sure i can save up but i am going to Ecuador, S. america this year for a mission trip and it costs like $1200 to go...so that's were all my money is gonna be spent right now lol....I just wanted a few mods that would make the driving experience of a sluggish car just a little more enjoyable...
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

twinkle can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by TunerX
I would'nt be posting those numbers up there if I were you, they are not exactly anything to be proud of.
LOL. Even though this got me to laugh, be nice. He is only 16 years old. But I think I used to have a tricked out Daihuitsu that could blow that car away.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

haha, i just think that its funny that he is making fun of my cars hp when he drives a 2000 civic(nice car but slow as sh**). So i really wouldnt be talking. I know my car is not fast. I think it is quick but, with 155 whp and a type R tranny it can move pretty good. Like i said a 9.1 in the 1/8th and low 14's in the quarter isnt bad considering im 16. How old are you and what have you accomplished as far as cars go?
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

Obviously you've never driven a 2000 civic. By the way ,I'm just bustin chops,i'm not tryin to hate on anyone. I do have a serious question though, what did it cost u 2 import the Type-r tranny or had somebody already done that and you just bought it from them? just curious.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

I never tried to start anything with anybody, it all started when you said "155 whp aint nothin to be proud of" that pissed me off because that is actually pretty good for all motor. Other than that all ive said is to help people and give them my opinion about stuff. And i bought the type R tranny from someone in the town i live in. If your going to buy a tranny for racing, all motor anyway type R or b16 tranny is the way to go, type R will cost you between 900-1300 dollars and a b16 will cost you more around 600-1000, because the type R is hydraulic, just be carefull if you buy a b16 tranny because the synchros in hondas are notoriously know to go out and you will start grinding into gear, i wouldnt buy one with more than 75 thousand miles on it. But as far as gearing goes they are both about the same. Im assuming you have a ls (or something similiar i am not sure what the newer hondas come with) , tranny in your civic which is good if you want to go turbo because you will have the longer gears allowing your turbo to spool more and be more efficient.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

Yeah I have'nt decided yet if I should put the money into this car with the setup I have now, if I should get the engine and tranny swap or if I should just bite the bullet and get the 2006 SI.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

To tell you the truth the 2006 SI isnt gonna be anything special. The nice thing about having a older car like mine is the wide range of mods, low prices, and the car itself is cheap. Im guessing that they 2006 civic SI costs 15-20k ( i have no idea). Buy a 4000 dollar car for example, with 16k in mods you could build a 12 sec car. I know you couldnt get that big of a loan for a older car but do you get what im saying. If you buy the newer one you dont have much money left over for mods after payments. Get the older car payed off, take out a personal loan and start building a B18 or whatever you would want to swap in. BTW, Civic hatches are the SH**
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

imported_Tricky is an unknown quantity at this point
Im finding the newer cars are all lame. Not many manufacturers are pushing performance limits anymore like they were in the 90's.
They're all focussed on "luxury and enhancements" and every car that used to be sporty is now turning into a boring family car.
Just look how the face of the Civic has changed over the past 10 years - its gone from a small hatchback to almost a family-sized car.
Old 02-03-2006
Registered!!

the new SI starts at 20k and can go all the way up to 25k , it has the K20 engine in it which seems to be the engine every one is talking about now(not so much the B16 or B18 anymore) it pushes 197hp and 138torque, i know thats at the crank but with a few bolt ons i'm sure you could get 200 at the wheels easy( I read enough Super Street and Modified to know that much)
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

Ok, lets say you buy the car for 22k, a few bolt ons your up to 23k for a car with 160 hp. Thats what kills me because i have probably 7k into my car and get that.
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

Yeah but the difference is you would now have an 06 model car which would be alot more reliable, and if you were to drop in as much bank as you say you have to your car (5k) i'm sure you would get alot more than 160 hp right?

Quick Reply: Gettin Started