Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

My coolant is over flowing....help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drea782003 is an unknown quantity at this point
My coolant is over flowing....help

My coolant is over flowing from the tank and reserve..my temp gauge runs hot after 15mins of driving and my fans do not turn on unless the ac or defrost is on..what is wrong and what do i do to fix this??? Please help
Old 05-14-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My coolant is over flowing....help

replace thermostat with honda oem part first. and replace the fan temp sensor. bleed the cooling system and recheck for overheating. then replace radiator cap with honda oem. if nothing works, more than likely a leaking headgasket. check for oil and coolant mixing, or combustion gases in the coolant (using test kit).
Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

TrikzLane is an unknown quantity at this point

you, my friend, have got a blown head gasket. i've had the same thing happen 4 different times on 4 different model year hondas. same problem everytime. thermostat gets stuck open
Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would recommend renting a cooling system pressure tester from advance (free with deposit) and do a pressure test on your cooling system and radiator cap. if the rad cap isn't holding pressure or isn't releasing pressure, then that's a problem that has similar symptoms as a blown head gasket. If the cooling system isn't holding pressure, then you have a leak somewhere. Check for external leaks and leaks in heater core when system under pressure, if you don't find any leaks there, then it's most probably a blown head gasket, check for white smoke coming out of your exhaust and milky color oil and oil in the coolant, you can try blue devil and see if this fixes your problem. Now, if both the rad cap and cooling system are holding pressure well, then i would replace the thermostat and drain and refill the cooling system. Also, check the coolant temperature sensor and make sure that the fan connections are ok and the fan motor is working. Good luck!! i had a problem like that in my car before and i know it's annoying and hard to diagnoze expecially if the leak is very small, like 1psi every 15 minutes
Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

yogeshsr is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem about 3-4 weeks back. I changed the radiator cap. also, the rubber pipe that connects to the reserve had a small leak. so i fixed that and now the car is not overheating.