Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Oil Filters Check this out Guys Interesting!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011
Civ ILL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drmcstford is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Filters Check this out Guys Interesting!

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

This guy did a comparison of all major filters!
Old 11-30-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Oil Filters Check this out Guys Interesting!

That's an awesome link
Old 11-30-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. Everything you wanted to know about oil filters, and then some.
Old 11-30-2011
Civ ILL

Sweet glad you guys are enjoying it Glad I can contribute to the already awesome forums
Old 11-30-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

this site is big over at the motorcycle forums as they are much more passionate about oils n oil filters.
Old 11-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

great post, too bad no summary lol
Old 12-01-2011
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

anybody got a pic of the underside of a honda filter so we can figure out who makes them and therefore save me some $$
Old 12-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Toyo Roki made Honda OEM filters for years, then they made the switch over to Honeywell Fram, but for two years post the transition, Toyo Roki still made the filters for s2000s. Perhaps a contract was running it's course, or more likely, Honda was reserving the best filters for their top performance model despite cost cutting measures.

The design of OEM Honda filters still differs from Honeywells own line of Fram filters.
Old 12-01-2011
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

the s2000 uses the same filters as all other models unless Im very mistaken
Old 12-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Slightly different, they're larger than the ones used on other models, I've been using them for years.
Old 12-01-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Running Riot
anybody got a pic of the underside of a honda filter so we can figure out who makes them and therefore save me some $$
Not sure who has it this year, i heard they changed again. Some places online sell the filter for like $4.
---------------------
PT7 = FILTECH
---------------------
PR3 = TOYO ROKI
---------------------
P0H = FRAM?
---------------------
PLC = TOYO ROKI
---------------------
PLM = FILTECH
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

His opinions are noted but it's just that...opinions. He's not an expert in filtration analysis and it's all hearsay.

If he set up an engine and ran the oil filters (possibly making a clear--see through--outer shell) and logged/recorded via cam how good or poorly they filtrate then yes I'll believe.
Old 12-01-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

in the end, its just a filter. ive found similar articles saying most filters only work for the first 100 miles, and that they are useless and you should just keep the same one for 20k miles since it doesnt do anything. the main issue i would worry about is how well the filter is made so it doesnt fall apart into pieces and destroy the engine. some of those filters ive seen are crazy bad and not built for a car at all. it needs to be able to withstand pressure and soaking in oil all the time.
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

I upgraded from FRAM (used it for yrs!) to recently K&N mainly so I don't have to strain myself trying to take the filter off. LOL!
Old 12-01-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

I have read people say that filter factories will get orders from different companies and say produce for example 100 filters...45 of them get fram orange, 25 get napa white, and 30 some other name. Not sure if it is true but either way i have not heard of filters failing much so it comes down to which company you like i guess.
Old 12-01-2011
^Warranty voider

Ill stick with oem thank you vury much
Old 12-01-2011
Premium Member

oh so you like cheap fram? lol
Old 12-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
oh so you like cheap fram? lol
it doesn't really matter who makes the filter, it's the design, and the OEM filter produced by fram does differ from the orange junk.

If I had the money to burn, I'd buy the current version of the OEM filter and cut it apart to show the difference.

Hamp filters are an excellent oem alternative, they're $8-10 online.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-01-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2011
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Running Riot
Ill stick with oem thank you vury much
i use a racing oil filter on my civic. had to gain at least 10 hp!
Old 12-01-2011
Civ ILL

Originally Posted by 94civicd16z6
i use a racing oil filter on my civic. had to gain at least 10 hp!
must of been fram extra guard
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

I spend $12 for mine...don't see what the writer is complaining about it being pricey and all. My lunch meal is $15 (everyday).
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

OEM is the best bet in my opinion. s long as you dont pay OEM price. Bulk order them online.
Old 12-02-2011
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by MindBomber
it doesn't really matter who makes the filter, it's the design, and the OEM filter produced by fram does differ from the orange junk.

If I had the money to burn, I'd buy the current version of the OEM filter and cut it apart to show the difference.

Hamp filters are an excellent oem alternative, they're $8-10 online.
OEM IS 8 at the stealer, not that far off for that extra JDM freshness lol
Old 01-02-2012
Grey and Grouchy

Crusty is an unknown quantity at this point

After two filter failures, and one destroyed engine using Fram filters, (over which Fram said essentially GFY) I went back to OEM filters. At least I have some minor argument if TSHTF with my engine. As far as price for filters for our Civics, check out www.collegehillshonda.com for good prices on filters and oil. In case lots (12) $4.42 for 5w-20 Synthetic Blend oil, and $6.74 for Honda filters in lots of 12. The filters include the crush washer for the drain plug, and the prices are including shipping. The dealer wanted over $9.00 including tax for the filters and over $8.00 for a quart of oil including tax. So far this is the best pricing I have found on oil and filters on line. Yes, you can buy Pure 1 filters slightly cheaper at your local UN-friendly auto parts store, and MAYBE Syn Blend oils for about the same price, but it takes some searching. I personally do not have the time or gas to do that, nor can I trust most online ads from the auto parts stores. Now, if anybody has an online supplier for OEM oils and filters for my 2011 LX at a better price, let me know about it. I am always ready to save a buck. Since I live WAY out in the boonies, on line shipping is a must!