Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

rust removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MartinL will become famous soon enoughMartinL will become famous soon enough
rust removal

Hey I just wanted to know what is the best way you guys remove rust from your civics? I'm about to sand it off and respray it but I'm weary because this "honda civic red" paint does not look very similar to my red. All the rest is surface so sanding and painting over should work?
Insight before I do something crazy please
Old 08-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: rust removal

The paint on your civic has had years to slowly oxidize, if you spray your car with brand new paint will stand out like a sore thumb. My suggestion would be either replace the body panel with junk yard panels, because the paint will already have faded or just wait until you can afford to paint the whole car.

Rusty Panels>Patchy Colors
Old 08-02-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Where is the rust at and how bad is it. If its not that bad then you can just grind it away and then paint it. If its really bad then you will have to cut it out and replace the piece with anoter weld it on and sand and paint.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

honestly i think i would take care of the rust now. i'd sand it down and prime it. and if i couldnt paint it just leave it till you collect the money to paint it.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cmiller_01ex
honestly i think i would take care of the rust now. i'd sand it down and prime it. and if i couldnt paint it just leave it till you collect the money to paint it.
Yeah, stop the rust now.
Old 09-10-2010
Registered!!

MartinL will become famous soon enoughMartinL will become famous soon enough

Yeah there is some rust on the passenger front side of the car very small but I want to get rid of it as a preventative measure. Also on the passenger rear wheel there is some rust that has gotten through. I am thinking about getting the whole car repainted but this will not fix that rust problem.
Old 09-10-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Where is the rust at and how bad is it. If its not that bad then you can just grind it away and then paint it. If its really bad then you will have to cut it out and replace the piece with anoter weld it on and sand and paint.
Here is your solution to the problem. Grind the rust away, put bondo on it and paint it.
Old 09-11-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

if it aint a dent he wouldnt need bondo. but he deff needs to get rid of it. just take you a can of 2 dollar spray primer sand it down with like 100 gritt sand paper and spray the primer on it.