1993 DX hot weather problem...HELP - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2009   #1
Registered!!

xxxis is an unknown quantity at this point
1993 DX hot weather problem...HELP

Hi, I'm a new guy with an ongoing problem. My Civic cuts out and dies in hot weather(over 90). If I let it sit for a while it will start back up and go a short distance before it dies again. Rarely does it in cool weather, but it has a few times. I use to think it did it worse below half a tank of fuel, but thats not the case anymore. It will do it plum full. I have replaced the main relay, pulled the fuel pump and inspected it(replaced the sock), replaced the fuel filter, and tested the coil for proper ohms. When it does this it doesn't always throw a code, but when it does its a code 43. Never does it when the mechanic is looking at it. I can no longer trust it on the highway. It has been getting progressively worse over the last few years. Can hear my fuel pump running, even when its stalling out (but it does seem louder when its stalling). It feels like vapor lock, but I know that is unlikely with the 100% factory fuel injection system. Oh yeah, my car has no mods done to it. Has anyone seen something like this? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!
xxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #2
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1993 DX hot weather problem...HELP

well first check the fuel pressure and make sure its high enough. also clean the air intake system like throttle body and idle sensors. they may be clogged or sticking causing the car to die.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #3
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

sounds like it could be an ignition failure. either the coil or ignition module in the distributor may be going bad.
skipbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #4
Registered!!

xxxis is an unknown quantity at this point

We have some more hot weather coming up. Im going to rig up a fuel pressure gauge somehow and check it out when it starts screwin up again. If it has good pressure then I guess I'll look at the ignition and the fuel pressure regulator. Would faulty ignition trigger a code?
xxxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #5
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

absolutely.
skipbarber is offline   Reply With Quote