Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium High Performance Spark Plugs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carter is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium High Performance Spark Plugs)

I Bought 4 NGK Irdium IX spark plugs I am wondering how much better these would be then the ones you would find for cheap at say a canadian tire?

Was it a good buy? Along with proper Air Intake and Air Filter and other few things would you notice a bit of a difference in the cars performance after 97000K ?
Old 08-19-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Re: Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium High Performance Spark Plugs)

its a great investment, be ready to have your car feel like its running alot smoother. Thats the only way to describe it, smooth..

then again u might also get a increase in MPG as well. u never know

Denso/NGK FTW

Last edited by LT2004ever; 08-19-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

are they really THAT much better than plats?
Old 08-19-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

who said anything about platinum?
Old 08-19-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the stockers are double plats. i personally didnt notice any difference going from copper plugs to iridiums. but whatever, i paid alot so im keeping em lol
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

I hear yeah, and thats why I asked, because when I pulled mine out to put in copper plugs they were plats. Was wondering if there would be a difference. I noticed a difference putting the copper in but then again it could have been from just being new plugs.
Old 08-19-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

oh!! ok i gotcha, i thought we had copper stock.... lol i see ranking like copper, plat, iridium. Kinda like bronze, silver, gold. Sorry for the noobish confusion on my part
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

Its cool bro, im not always exactly that clear either when I am trying to say/explain something. From what I have gathered from other discussions was that coppers ignited better, but plats and iridiums lasted A LOT longer. You didn't notice much of a difference going from coppers to iridiums gearbox? Its a huge price difference thats why I am concerned. Hell if it is worth it, I would jump on it.
Old 08-19-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

platinum is only for having a longer service interval. it conducts worse than copper. iridium too, but the smaller electrode makes up for it i guess and requires less voltage from the charging system.
Old 08-19-2007
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

ive heard on honda-tech that iridiums are usually best for when you run boost, otherwise it doesnt matter if you run copper or plats, FTR-4pt platinum runs like sh*t (bosch).
Old 08-19-2007
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

have ngk iridiums on both of mine, both run great, does improve gas mileage slightly
Old 08-19-2007
Premium Member

hmm i heard copper is best for boost and iridium is not good.
Old 08-20-2007
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just use the OEM Double Laser plats. I installed them recently having using denso iridiums and ngk iridiums up til 99k, but the OEMs work the best.

Last edited by Dticalman81; 09-18-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2007
Premium Member

ive tried both, im using denso, the only dif is denso uses a smaller electrode so technically it is better. my ngks didnt last very long tho, like maybe 15k miles before they looked beat.
Old 09-18-2007
Registered!!

HiPWR Racing will become famous soon enoughHiPWR Racing will become famous soon enough

my plats are pretty good i think. they run really well with the hotter spark from a blaster coil.
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

enricolaguardia is an unknown quantity at this point

where can buy this laser iridium ngk plugs?
Old 09-14-2010
Premium Member

laser iridium is not available for 01-05 civics.
Old 09-15-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

anyone try those E3 yet? im just curious? any comments steve?
Old 09-15-2010
Premium Member

garbage. i would give em 1 month before they fry. not even recommended for lawn mowers.
Old 09-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if the NGK V-Power's are any good for DD?
Are they the copper ones?
Old 09-17-2010
Premium Member

they are copper, and they are great for a cheap plug. same performance as the denso iridium, but uses a bit more electrical system power to make the spark. copper conducts best, just replace em every year (or two) for max performance.
Old 09-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't wanna cheap out, bought the iridium IX's

10 minute job

The only word for it is SMOOTH
wow, everything feels so much more better
I guess stock's looked like denso plat's
normal wear and tear on the old denso's,
but these iridiums i can feel the difference already, love em!
Old 09-20-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i don't really know how spark plugs work internally. but if the conductivity in the metal is the only reason people buy more expensive plugs i highly doubt they're worth it. think of how fast the electricity is moving. do you really think it matters if the resistance in the metal is that of copper or platinum? so what if platinum reacts "slowly (in electical terms that is)", because the gas is still going to combust at speeds far less then an electrical spark. wouldn't the only reason a metal with higher conductivity would be better is if you needed more amperage (the amount of energy delivered). i mean really the only reason you'd want higher conductividy is to decrease the power draw from your battery. you know ohms law, lower resistance lower amperage needed to generate the desired voltage.
Old 09-20-2010
Premium Member

iridiums also have a finer electrode, so less energy needed to make the same spark. platinum plugs also tend to run hotter than most copper and iridium and should only be used on a stock motor. if you have turbo, i would only recommend copper and change them very often, prolly every oil change at 3k.
Old 09-21-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

cool, well then i'll stick with platinum unless i go tuned =D
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

kofrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium High Performance Spark Plugs)

All this talk on different materials for the spark plug is getting me confused.

I'm going to change the spark plugs later on this week, I'm thinking about getting the NGK GP Platinums. Is this a good call for a stock '03 Civic DX? Or should I stick with copper? Is there any noticeable difference between the plugs with an extra gap on them?
Old 09-26-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by kofrad
All this talk on different materials for the spark plug is getting me confused.

I'm going to change the spark plugs later on this week, I'm thinking about getting the NGK GP Platinums. Is this a good call for a stock '03 Civic DX? Or should I stick with copper? Is there any noticeable difference between the plugs with an extra gap on them?
Your choice
Copper - Better conductor
Platinum - Longer lifespan
Iridium - Combination of the 2

I say spend 30 bucks on Iridium, and d/w about it for the next 100k miles
That's what i did

Vid on how to change em
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...nge-video.html
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

kofrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium High Performance Spark Plugs)

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Your choice
Copper - Better conductor
Platinum - Longer lifespan
Iridium - Combination of the 2

I say spend 30 bucks on Iridium, and d/w about it for the next 100k miles
That's what i did

Vid on how to change em
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...nge-video.html
Initially I had planned on the iridium, but was under the impression they wouldn't give me anything more than the platinums. For the extra $10, I'll just get the iridiums then.
Old 09-26-2010
Premium Member

well idk about all iridiums, but denso is only rated 30k miles. thats hardly long life but still worth it to have the better performance.