Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Brake Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough
Brake Time

Well it's about time for me to get some new brakes. My 02 ex has about 72,000 miles so the brakes need some love. I did a lot of searching last night and read a lot about drilled/slotted rotors and upgraded pads. Some people are for them and some people are against them. I'm hoping to get some input on whether I should upgrade the front to drilled rotors and dezod x pads or just go with oem. Also is it a good idea to do the rear brakes now and what would you guys reccommend changing on the rear?

Don't you just love maintenance. The car has has most of the scheduled stuff done but I'm also going to change the manual tranny fluid while the car is on the lift.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 08-14-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Brake Time

the shoes last a LOT longer than front disc pads, you'd probably be alright on those depending on how much city driving you do. It doesn't take much to stop a Civic, but it seems like the general consensus on this site is Hawk pads, and either Brembo Blanks or slotted rotors depending on how much wear you want on the pads. I love my powerslot rotors n' hawk pads, they make the car stop MUCH faster, and I love the response I get from them. keep in mind too that slotted and drilled rotors create more brake dust as well.. (but not much)
Old 08-14-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...8&cat=0&page=1

then some hawk performance pads, and u will be good to go. They have a great bite and they have low brake noise also. They are quality.
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough

^^ those are the blanks correct? 60 bucks isn't bad. between the brembo blanks and drilled would I see a big difference? also you both said hawk for pads but alot of people on here say dezods x pads are the way to go so I'm kinda confused on which to use?
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

I just did my brakes a few weeks ago and went with the brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads(street pads) from www.tirerack.com and I love them so far. Just follow the burn in process and you'll be good. I think that they grip good at first get a lil soft, then they start to bite hard again.
Pads:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S
Rotors:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P
Old 08-14-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

brembo blanks/hawk pads are always a good combo i hear. have never read or heard a complaint about them. slotted rotors are good too.. stay away from drilled ones.
Old 08-14-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ Well there are several different schools of thought on the drilled ones which I'm sure we've all read about. Personal experience. I've had Ebay cheapie drilled and slotted rotors on my Civic now for just under 3 years. Nary a problem. No warping, no cracking, no premature wear on the pads, nothing bad to say about them. That's on 17" wheels, my fat *** in the driver's seat, and normal spirited street driving.

Would I trust them for autocross or heavy track use? Nope. Not unless they were from a reputable manufacturer. Bottom line is for a daily driver that never sees the track, IMO drilled and slotted rotors of whatever brand are perfectly fine for your everyday Civic driver, just get a decent set of pads.

Last edited by speedfoos; 08-14-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

^^ thanks foos. i think i might go with the blanks but actually still considering drilled. only question left is either way which pads should i buy? hawk or dezod.... i know if I go with drilled quality pads are a necessity.... are the dezod pads suitable?
Old 08-14-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. I didn't mention that I also have off-brand kevlar metallic (some Canadian company, and they club seals) pads that are the same manufacturer as the rotors. As long as you don't get your $15 cheapos from Autozone, again you'll be fine for a DD'd Civic. Dezod's are fine, Hawks are fine, just pick your price point and don't go too cheap. My rotors and pads cost me $140 + shipping. That was good enough for me.