Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

DIY Manual Transmission Service Help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SITNLOW97 will become famous soon enough
DIY Manual Transmission Service Help..

Ok well my 02 civic is got 41000 on it so i think its time to do a tranny service on it.. Can someone tell me how many quarts it holds and the best kind of fluids to put in it?? Also whats the easiest way to do it on a 02 civic lx????And do i need to replace a filter or anything??thanx
Old 08-11-2007
Registered!!

mickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the rough
Re: DIY Manual Transmission Service Help..

it takes about 2.6 quarts of tranny fluid and i would buy the honda genuine mt fluid.. bt im not sure about da filter part..??>.<??
Old 08-11-2007
Registered!!

Thanx bro for tha help...Anyone else?? Also how do u drain it?? IS there a plug or do u just pull the pain like u do on some auto transmissions?? And does anybody know if the filter needs to be replaced or if there even is one on this??
Old 08-11-2007
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

There isnt a filter on the manual tranny. there are two holes, one for filling and one for draining. remove the filler bolt first then the drain bolt. you should be able to recognize them from under your car, if not you will have to find a picture somewhere...
Old 08-11-2007
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

#14 is the drain plug.. i believe you use #10 to fill it back up
Old 08-13-2007
Registered!!

Thanx guys for the help...
Old 08-13-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

****ers at Delaership told me I need to buy 7 quarts if im flushing and refillng tranny fluid ! ... $7 bucks a quart (honda MT fluid)
Old 08-13-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

there is a DIY on here on how to drain/refill your MTF...

there are basically two bolts on ur tranny.

the top and bottom one.

unscrew the bottom one and drain it, and then screw the bolt bak on.

then unscrew the top bolt and put somre more in there.

search for the DIY
Old 08-13-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ssion-oil.html

theres one with pixs, but heres a quick search
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough

nice im gonna use this
Old 09-10-2007
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

GM SYNCHRO MESH or Redline
Old 09-10-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

I just use honda MTF or acura MTF. Just fill it up until it's up to the threads of the fill hole and pouring out a little bit. Also, I don't know if this applies to the d17 tranny, but on the k20a2 tranny, it's a lot easier to fill up through the hole for the VSS sensor.
Old 09-10-2007
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

xRiCeBoYx

#14 is the drain plug.. i believe you use #10 to fill it back up
Don't undo #10! it's the cover for a snap ring you only open that one up when you completely overhaul the transmission and take the gears out of it. if you undo that one you are supposed to put it back in with Honda-bond. #9 is actually the drain plug just take a 3/8ths drive ratchet and stick it in there to undo the bolt. #14 is the fill bolt I can't remember what size it is exactly but you want to fill the transmission through that hole until it is level with the bottom of the hole. I suggest you get a long funnel with a flexible tip.
Old 09-24-2007
Registered!!

superdewey58 is an unknown quantity at this point

fill it up through ur speed sensor
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

IronSportster will become famous soon enough

I just replaced my manual trans fluid yesterday in a 2005 Civic LX I got nearly 2-weeks ago. The odometer had 56,000 miles and there was no evidence that the previous owner had service done to the trans. I found a really good parts department at a Honda Dealer that sold me the HONDA MTL fluid for $2.75/qt. I've read posts about other parts departments that regularly gouge the DIY customers.
I shined a flashlight into the old fluid and noticed quite a collection of fine bronze/metal particles in the fluid. I know that this is normal for a first time fluid change. I won't be changing the fluid at 60,000 mile intervals as the owners manual suggests. I'll be changing the fluid every 15,000 miles. I don't agree with any of the service intervals in the owners manual. Ten-thousand miles between engine oil changes is insane! Even 5,000 miles for severe service is too long to run engine oil.
Took the car out for a test run after swapping the fluid and immediately noticed how much smoother the trans shifted. Big difference.
Old 10-07-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

Originally Posted by IronSportster
I just replaced my manual trans fluid yesterday in a 2005 Civic LX I got nearly 2-weeks ago. The odometer had 56,000 miles and there was no evidence that the previous owner had service done to the trans. I found a really good parts department at a Honda Dealer that sold me the HONDA MTL fluid for $2.75/qt. I've read posts about other parts departments that regularly gouge the DIY customers.
I shined a flashlight into the old fluid and noticed quite a collection of fine bronze/metal particles in the fluid. I know that this is normal for a first time fluid change. I won't be changing the fluid at 60,000 mile intervals as the owners manual suggests. I'll be changing the fluid every 15,000 miles. I don't agree with any of the service intervals in the owners manual. Ten-thousand miles between engine oil changes is insane! Even 5,000 miles for severe service is too long to run engine oil.
Took the car out for a test run after swapping the fluid and immediately noticed how much smoother the trans shifted. Big difference.

Thanks for updating us bro ... was definitely waiting for someone to tell me if they noticed a difference or not ...

One more question .. is transmissin oil/ fluid and DIFFERENTIAL OIL the same thing ?
Old 10-08-2007
Registered!!

IronSportster will become famous soon enough

One more question .. is transmissin oil/ fluid and DIFFERENTIAL OIL the same thing ?
14 Hours Ago 05:18 PM
Yes and no....some manufactures produce transmission lubricant to be used ONLY in a manual trans and a differential fluid to be used ONLY in a differential. On the other hand some types of lubricants can be used for both applications. When in doubt, read the label.
I went with the HONDA MTL because I don't want to risk voiding what's left on my warranty. I also found a synthetic MTL produced by Red-Line that is specifically designed for Honda and Accura transaxles. I've used synthetics in my motorcycles and other 4-wheelers and found them to be way better than petroleum based oils/fluids. Keep in mind that synthetics are way more expensive, but IMO it's worth the cost.