Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

engine coolant problems/little or no heat at times

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough
Question engine coolant problems/little or no heat at times

hey guys i just started having a problem about a week ago or maybe a little longer. i noticed one day that my heat was blowing cold air but if i drove at higher rpm's it would be warm. otherwise if i sat or when it was warmed up at idle it would only blow cold air. so i opened the radiator added more coolant and it worked fine for the rest of the day. than the next day it started happening again so then i bleed the cooling system. i opened the radiator cap when the car was cold and then turned the car on. gave it gas to get to operating temperature faster and when it was i turned the heater on full blast. waited until all the air bubbles were gone and kept topping off the radiator. then put the cap back on and shut off the car. it worked for awhile and then my heater began having the same problem. so then next time i changed my thermostat and than bleed the system again. it worked fine for awhile but than today i noticed that my temp gauge was acting weird. it went up to the second line and then i turned on the heat and it went back down than i drove for awhile and it got to full operating temperature. then when i would slow down or drive in the city it went back down to about 3 lines. then when i got out of the car i could smell coolant on the outside. everytime i checked the radiator when the car was cold the fluid level was not to the top and i always had to add coolant. also i can see fluid on hoses and such but i dont know where its coming from. i think i have a leak somewhere but im having a hard time finding it. the heater always works fine if i fill the radiator up to the top, it blows as hot as the day i first got it. also through all this the reserve tax has been full. by full i mean like a half an inch from the top of the tank, way past the max line. i dont know if its been like that since i got the car but ive just been watching it for the last week. in that week it hasnt moved anywhere its still a half an inch or so from the top. i bought the car with 44k it now has 78k and its never overheated once on me. the coolant and oil are both fine and i have no white smoke from the exhaust. i did notice that when i had the radiator cap off and the engine was at full speed and if i rev'ed the engine the coolant would shoot out of the radiator. i just changed my oil 4 days ago and it came out black but it wasnt a chocolate mousse color. every thread i read/searched said it would be a blown head gasket but i dont have any of the symptoms of them at least not that im aware of. i can smell coolant at times though so i know i must have a leak somwhere. any help would be great since this is really annoying/bothering me.
Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough0H3ebpEM2 will become famous soon enough
put in a brand new thermostat and the car is still blowing cold air but only when i stop. im going to check the hoses and the radiator for any cracks or leaks. any else know what i could try.
Old 01-26-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
I have the same issue and can not find out what the damn problem is. Only my coolant stays at the same level and I dont smell coolant. When I did change the thermostat the temp. stayed at the same level and hasnt changed since the change. Dont know what to tell ya mang. If U find out let me know!! Good luck!!
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

TheSIkid is an unknown quantity at this point
check your heater core hope that helps
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

jnlzr is an unknown quantity at this point
Pressure test the system... once you do so you will noe where the leak is ( could be hose, radiator neck, or cap ) .... but not sure where you can get one.. only mechanic have it, that i noe of.. so yeah bring it to a shop so they can check it out for you...

Last edited by jnlzr; 02-15-2007 at 01:36 AM.