Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

What mods to make fuel efficient????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suriknightii is an unknown quantity at this point
What mods to make fuel efficient????

I was wondering what the best mods would be to make my 01 EX more fuel efficient??? Anyone with great suggestions please let me know, I'm most appreciative. Thanks
Old 10-10-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Fuel efficient and mods are an oxymoron. You might be able to add some mpg with an intake but only on the highway.. city driving you will lose. Just keep your rpms low and you'll be driving forever w/o filling up all the time.
Old 10-10-2006
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
www.turbonator.com
Old 10-10-2006
Registered!!

bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough
try not to slam on the gas and you should do pretty good on the gas. check out lubecontrol.com thats the only additive that really works.
Old 10-10-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
i can only think of an intake, and trying not to mash on the gas
Old 10-10-2006
Registered!!

bricem is an unknown quantity at this point
Aero mods

Here are a couple of mods that will make a small difference:

- Wheels from the Civic Hybrid (9 lbs/wheel and flat front for less drag)
- Underbody panels from Civic Hybrid or make your own with coroplast (again, less drag)
- Lowering your car (less air goes under your car where turbulance is created by all of the pipes, bars, etc)
- Higher temperature (195 degree instead of stock 180) thermostat (engine runs more efficiently the hotter it runs)

However, you'll get a bigger jump in fuel efficiency just by having good FE driving habits (slow acceleration, time your approach to stop lights so you don't use your brakes, etc)
Old 10-10-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
light and small rims, lubecontrol, maybe intake and exhaust, driving habits, keep heavy stuff out of car, HVS-GT, and mostly driving habits. i have quite a bit of gas saving stuff on mine, yet im still able to burn through a tank of gas in a night of driving for an hour or two. so yea.
Old 10-10-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Nothing. Nothing at all. Instead of wasting your money on products to try and improve mpg, save that money for gas. The #1 way to improve mpg is by changing the way you drive. Just be easy on the gas pedal.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
removing unnecessary items...spare tire, tools, etc if you can call that..

where you are from, brooklyn, ny its mostly stop and go traffic...change fluid by the book...and most important is the driving habit..
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

thanks for all the helpful info guys...i have an intake and exhaust already, Si wheels, and i plan on lowering the car soon with Megan Racing coils...i'm definitly going to check out lubecontrol.com as well...thanks again
Old 10-11-2006
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Kevbotron
be sure to buy two...it really works
Old 10-11-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Kevbotron
u guys.......hahaha.....he's gonna actually believe u guys n buy it.....

that crap doesnt work....it only works if u have a high flow carb. engine
Old 10-11-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Magnetic fuel savers:

Fuel Master's Magnetic field penetrates the fuel line, causing clusters of hydrocarbon molecules to seperate. Now that more fuel is exposed to oxygen needed for combustion, fuel burns more completely and cleanly. In addition built up engine deposits of carbon and varnish are eliminated so engine can run more smoothly.

EPA Accepted Independent Laboratory Results for FUELMASTER

Category
BEFORE FuelMaster
AFTER Installed
CHANGE

HC-HydroCarbons
to
-24% decrease

CO-Carbon Monoxide
to
-68% decrease

NOx-NitrogenOxides
to
-15% decrease

CO2-CarbonDioxide
to
-10% decrease

MPG-Miles-Per-Gallon
to
+11.6%*increase

*HFET fuel economy per 40 CFR600.113-88 Liphardt& Associates, Inc. EPA Accepted Testing Laboratory

fuel masters site is a rip off. I got mine here for $13. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36098

Or there is the race version out that has a red billet cover but I don't remember th name of the company there logo has 1000 in it.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

Punking Civic, can you help brief me a lil more on how that works? Does it have to be installed? Or is it just for a one time use?
Old 10-11-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
haha i hope nobody seriously believes that. none of those fuel savings devices work at all. NONE.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Just be happy we can get 30+ mpg. I know our tanks are small but its better than driving an Evo or Sti that barely make 20mpg and HAVE to take premium gas.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

redrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura about
What about pullies, no one has mentioned those yet? And, what about the trottle spacer, isn't that sapposed to increase mileage?
Old 10-11-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
My car gets about 39mpg on the highway. I don't really see a need to improve on that.
Old 10-11-2006

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Suriknightii
Punking Civic, can you help brief me a lil more on how that works? Does it have to be installed? Or is it just for a one time use?
It zip ties on the out side of the fuel line tthat goes into the throttle body.

Hey if it works in saving gas or keep the deposites down cool.
For $13 why not.
I spent more money on stupider things.

I have one of these on my ride now.

Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

VicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Suriknightii
I think Punking Civic is just messing with ya. Listen to Gearbox. Those fuel savings things are all junk. Dont buy them

I have had good results from lubecontrol but the best way to save gas is with grandma-like driving.
Old 10-11-2006
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
sorry if I tricked you with the turbonator thing, that thing is worthless.
Old 10-11-2006

Here is a cool page from the Federal Trade Commission on Gas saving devices.
Toward the bottom they have some items that have proven to save someamount of gas:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm

Here are is what they tested for magnetic devices that have some gas savings:

Fuel Line Devices (magnets). These magnetic devices, clamped to the outside of the fuel line or installed in the fuel line, claim to change the molecular structure of gasoline.

The EPA has evaluated: PETRO-MIZER; POLARION-X; Super-Mag Fuel Extender; Wickliff Polarizer [fuel line magnet/intake air magnet].
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

VicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura aboutVicDawg has a spectacular aura about
I think you read that wrong Punking Civic. It says only those listed with astericks beside them had any measureable improvement. Very informative link though so +1 for posting it.
Old 10-11-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Devani
removing unnecessary items...spare tire, tools, etc if you can call that..

where you are from, brooklyn, ny its mostly stop and go traffic...change fluid by the book...and most important is the driving habit..

iono about you bro, but a spare tire is pretty damn important....
Old 10-11-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why so many people are advocating removal of the spare tire from cars.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough

seriously..
tow truck bill > the change you save on gas by driving without a spare
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
true...so when will honda have run-flat tires like others?
Old 10-16-2006
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmpphff.. nobody mentions what seems to be the most obviously things (aside from driving style).

1) proper tire inflation (BIG!!)
2) proper alignment (BIG!!)
3) air filter/fuel filter fresh & clean (can be big if you let it go too long)
4) keeping on top of oil changes and required scheduled maintenance

Ofcourse, these things do not apply if you've just driven your car off the lot. Since 7th gens have been out of production for some time now, I assume that we've all got some miles on our cars, so these should apply to us all. If your tire pressure or alignment is not right on, your MPG will suffer considerably.
Old 10-16-2006
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
use full synthetic gas and premium gas, in my 2002 cicvic lx i used full synthetic and premium all the time and i got a 6mpg boost with both of them.
Old 10-17-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Umm its a honda, lol. MORE fuel efficient? I get 34-7 MPG on the highway with my current turbo setup if I keep it under 75. Buy a hybrid,lol. Nah seriously, just use good lube, good fuel, keep filters clean, tires properly inflated, yada yada.

Quick Reply: What mods to make fuel efficient????