Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

German Castrol

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
German Castrol

I read ls1tech almost as much as I do 7thgen and German Castrol has a good reputation there. I searched but came up empty handed. I've skimmed through bobistheoilguy and it seems like good stuff. I was wondering if anyone here has used it? S2000man from reading your past posts it seems like you have a good amount of knowledge on the oil subject so please chime in with your opinion.
Old 06-13-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
German Castrol....

Well, as you might guess it engineered for German cars

German cars (specially BMW's) actually run a different type of slug (or piston) than most cars. It is a low friction slug, which helps reduce frictional loss in the engine which is always a battle. So essentially you get a better performance, better MPG and a more efficient engine overall.

So why don't Jap cars do this? Well, the bad part of the low resistance slug is that it has a larger piston ring gap, which means more engine oil blow by. How do you fix that? Use thicker oil, or oil that retains a lower viscosity at higher temps. Jap cars use a very close tolerance, so this type of thick oil is not needed. In fact thinner oil is preferred so that it can penetrate in to the tighter gaps and properly lube the engine.

Since Jap cars are not designed like this, most of them are economy green based engines, this oil doesn't fair to well in Jap cars. German's have had their own type of oils for years now, the previous M3 used some outrageous oil weight like 15w50 AND still burned oil for the first 15,000 miles. In short, this is not an oil for a Honda, it's for German cars, just as the name implies.

BWT, Jap cars are built with tighter specs than American cars. So for a car like the LS1 or even my Ford V8, it would be a bad oil. It's not my first vhoice, but it's not bad. But not in my Honda.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 06-13-2006 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2006
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
jrfish is going to have more information that I would on this subject. listen to what he posted.
Old 06-13-2006
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
jrfish thanks for the info. I figured that if LS1 guys use it than why not me but what you said makes alot of sense. +rep when I get home from work.
Old 06-13-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AzNFoRLiFe
jrfish thanks for the info. I figured that if LS1 guys use it than why not me but what you said makes alot of sense. +rep when I get home from work.
Thanks, no problem. Anytime!
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
It's my understanding that this oil has a Cst nearly 14 and that it's a thick 30 weight that's almost a 40.

In a roundabout way, this oil is too thick for a non-turbo or hopped up Civic. The ad pack makes it a good oil for applications it was designed for although I think that for an everyday driver M1 EP is probably just a good.

GC is a good oil but it's not for our Civic engines.
Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
I can sort of confirm that by but-dyno and gut feeling, but we'll see how the oil looks after 6K miles.

I didn't have the money to re-stock on my redline this time, so I thought I'd clean out my stash of decent quality synthetics...

Currently in my engine (60000 miles) are:

.8 Qts redline 5w20
~2 qts Mobil 1 5w20
~1 qt German Castrol (The green stuff) 0w30

And I can feel it is a bit thicker. It feels like the car is working a litle bit harder when its revved up, and I'm not so much a fan of it. Not anything drastic or severely disconcerting, I just feel like something is off about the mix. Next change its going back on the redline.

Anyone else have this experience? maybe i just need o put a bottle of BG44K or osmething in it...