Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

question about the fp60

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
question about the fp60

I got bored @work the otehr day and took a few drops of fp60 and put it on my steel work bench. I put my butane lighter to the liquid and to my disbelief, instead of igniting, it kind of spread out across the table it was odd.....so my question is this, does fp60 have a high combustible temp or what?
Old 03-18-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by shroomster
I got bored @work the otehr day and took a few drops of fp60 and put it on my steel work bench. I put my butane lighter to the liquid and to my disbelief, instead of igniting, it kind of spread out across the table it was odd.....so my question is this, does fp60 have a high combustible temp or what?

Probably.... as dilute as you use it, it really doesn't need to be. The reason it spread is because you added energy to it, braking the surface "tension" without going into to much detail, making it spread out.

Did you know gasoline in liquid form is not combustible? tis true, it must be in vapor form. Reason is that if it is a liquid, that means next to each gas molecule is a gas molecule, and well combustion has to happen with a hydrocarbon (gasoline of whatever is the fuel) and oxygen, and these molecules must be next to each other in order for that reaction to happen. So why does gas explode? Well, gas is quite volatile, meaning it evaporates pretty fast. So if there is a bunch of gas lying around, there will be gas in the air, which can explode, and when it does it creates lots of heat, which heats up the gas on the ground, which makes it into vapor form, which then explodes. Of course this can happen in a fraction of a second.

So applying this to FP60, you must first make it into in aerosol to make it explode, because it is probably some kerosene/diesel derived oil where the molecules are to big and chunky to evaporate on their own, so you have to do it for them. Lot like diesel, I’ve managed to scare the crap out of quite a few people because I put a match out in diesel, little due they know in liquid form it just will not ignite and it is to heavy of a molecule to evaporate fast enough to get within the combustion limits. If you try that, I’m not legally responsible… In fact don’t try it, bad idea, I’m stupid for doing it. Forget I ever said that and just remember that diesel it not combustible in it’s liquid form. So next time you see the semi hit a wall and blow up in the movie, now you can laugh.

Make since?
Old 03-19-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
yup and thanks for the mini-lesson too heh