Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Mobil1 Extended Performance (and its additives) in a Honda MT

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
etdigitalis should not be trusted
Mobil1 Extended Performance (and its additives) in a Honda MT

It's up to debate whether substituting Honda MTF for synthetic motor oil will cause stiffer shifting in our fragile transmissions... after all, it says right in the manual that motor oil should only be used as a temporary replacement because it does not contain the necessary additives to promote a smooth-shifting tranny.

But most will agree that not all oils are created equal...

So, the question I have is: Do the additives in the Extended Performance line of the full-synthetic Mobil1 line help bridge the gap with this mysterious Honda MTF?

Oil manufacturers do a pretty good job of keeping the ingredients of their additive packs under wraps as trade secrets, but somewhere someone must've tested this... anyone?
Old 02-27-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by etdigitalis
Oil manufacturers do a pretty good job of keeping the ingredients of their additive packs under wraps as trade secrets

While this is somewhat true, the addatives themselves are not that much under wraps, the amounts in them are, but they addatives themselves aren't. This mostly because the EPA requires them to make it public as to what chemicals you will/are handling, so you have to know what is in it. Also doctors must know incase of accidental ingestion and other various health reasons. The key is that you have to know exaclt how much to put in to get the proper balance of chemicals, there are many very LARGE companies that this is their sole purpose, and I know more then a few people working at these places.

Here is alist of some of the addatives they use, I can go further, but frankly this is already enough typing for me.

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Additives used to protect the surface of the engine:
-Detergents used for ware and tare resistant: various phosphates, organic sulfur and chlorine compounds, sulfurized fats, sulfides and disulfides
-Rust and corrosion inhibitors: zinc dithiophosphates, metal phenolates, fatty acids and amines
-Build up inhibitors: metallo-organic compounds of sodium, calcium and magnesium phenolates, phosphonates and sulfanates
-Dispersatents: alkylsuccinimides and alkylsuccinic esters (these are extremely polar molecules that help keep the carbon conglomerating and forming clump)
-Friction modifiers: organic fatty acids and amides, high molecular weight organic phosphorus and phosphoric acid esters

Additives that help in protecting your oil from doing “bad” things:
-Antifoaming additives (these also help lower surface tension): silicone polymers or organic copolymers
-Antioxidants (oil can be oxidized which terminates the free radical reactions that happen that allow it to suspend carbon and disperse it): Zinc dithiophosphates (yes it’s multi functional), hindered phenols, aromatic amines and sulfurized phenols
-Catalyst deactivators (some metals can cause an accelerated rate of oxidation and hence ruin your oil, these form a protective coating around them so that they can not catalyze the oxidation reaction): organic complexes containing nitrogen or sulfur, amines, sulfides and phosphates

Additives used to increase the oils performance:
-These are used to fight wax and wax build up, (wax is often found in organic oil and some synthetics that use the Fischer-Trope synthesis followed by class III hydro cracking): alkylated napthalene and phenolic polymers, polymethacrylates, and certain copolymer esters.
-a seal swell additive, this can expand some metal and polymer seals to help seal better: Organic phosphates and aromatic hydrocarbons
-Oil thinning prevention (as the temperature oil rises it tends to thin out, these additives expand to help fight this and keep the oil at a constant viscosity): Organic phosphates, aromatic hydrocarbons, MMA, dienes and alkylated styrenes
I believe the oi addative they are suing is "moly." Moly adsorbes on to the surface of certian metals and actually strengths it, it is commonly used in small amount in high milage oils, and quit a bit of it can be found in Valvoline Max Life. The amount of it in the EL Mobile is beyond me. All I can say is that it is a decent oil, I use it in my towing truck that see about 2,000 miles a year.

The best thing to do would be take a virgin sample of Honda ATF and sent it out to have it analized at Blackstone Lab and see what it really has in it.

Has anybody done this yet, not that I know of, sorry

Last edited by Jrfish007; 02-27-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2006
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
do not use engine oil for your tranny. nuff said.