Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

How do I quickly prep my car for a long Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
How do I quickly prep my car for a long Drive?

My car is going to be inactive for at least 4 months while I am out of the country. But as soon as a return, the next day I have to drive a good 500 miles. I would like to avoid any problems on such a long drive but I'm not sure how well my car will run after beind dormant for an extended period of time.

Can people post suggestions/advice on how I should:

a) store the car?
b) prepare it quickly for a long drive right after being reawakened?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-26-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
ok, drain the oil. drop your tire pressure, cover the car.
put new oil in. throw some air in the tires. check everything. twice. happy driving.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by MajinB
put new oil in. throw some air in the tires. check everything. twice. happy driving.
WHY would you ever drain the oil?

The only thing you would have to do is drive easy for the first part of your trip.
Old 02-26-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
cause after enough time the oil turns into sludge.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

c kim is an unknown quantity at this point
Use some fuel stabilizer for the gas. They sell it at autopart stores, walmart....
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
Should I do an oil change the day I get back?
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i would change the oi/tranny fluid when you get back but before your road trip....make sure you other fluids (ie brake, clutch, winshield, power steering and antifreeze) are topped off. If those fluids seem dirty change them before storage. Check your brake pads, make sure they have sufficent life. I would then clean you car by washing and waxing and throwing in some fuel preservative. Lastly, remove your battery and place it on a piece of wood on shelf or even inside the house provided no one will have to use your car keep your tire pressure at 30psi, 4 months is not enough time to cause dry rot, make sure you dont store your car on jackstands. This way when you get back, install battery, fire it up, get oil changed(id do tranny to) check your air pressure (should be about 30psi) and spare tire pressure (should be about 60psi)...then have a good trip
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
Don't forget to disconnect your battery. Also is wise to run as low on gas as possible that way you dont have a full tank of stale gas when ya get back.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
cause after enough time the oil turns into sludge.
like 4000 years maybe

a lot of people in my area go south for the winter and leave their cars for 4 to 6 months, no problems!
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by free_refil
Don't forget to disconnect your battery. Also is wise to run as low on gas as possible that way you dont have a full tank of stale gas when ya get back.
Are you sure? I could have swore you were supposed to keep your tank full while in storage so that whatever sediments in your tank aren't lingering at the bottom of your gas tank.

Can someone verify which scenario is better?
Old 02-26-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
change oil when you get back. put car on jackstands, put lubecontrol fp60 in gas. not a big deal.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
change oil when you get back. put car on jackstands, put lubecontrol fp60 in gas. not a big deal.

i vote against this..having the suspension hanging for prolonged periods of times isnt good...most ppl that store cars (except race cars) tend to do it while the car is parked..check the lifts that are sold for car storage..they are drive and do not allow the car to be lifted half of the things this ppl are saying has already been stated 4 months wont be enough time to damage oil
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
All you need to do for 4 months is maybe clean it before you leave(mainly personal preferance) and disconnect the battery.
When you get back check the oil level and it wouldn't hurt to change it but not necessary and let it idle till its up to temp.

That should be it but fuel additive wouldn't hurt either. I use to work at a car strorage place and ppl just put there are in as is, and they start up with a lil cranking and run just fine after 6 months or more. So 4 months isn't long at all.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lxcivic2k1
All you need to do for 4 months is maybe clean it before you leave(mainly personal preferance) and disconnect the battery.
When you get back check the oil level and it wouldn't hurt to change it but not necessary and let it idle till its up to temp.

That should be it but fuel additive wouldn't hurt either. I use to work at a car strorage place and ppl just put there are in as is, and they start up with a lil cranking and run just fine after 6 months or more. So 4 months isn't long at all.
^ ^ ^ ^
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for help guys, much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lxcivic2k1

are you considering the fact that he is taking a 400 mile trip when he gets back
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Are you sure? I could have swore you were supposed to keep your tank full while in storage so that whatever sediments in your tank aren't lingering at the bottom of your gas tank.

Can someone verify which scenario is better?
I know thats true for motorbike storage because the tanks are metal and if any moisture develops will corode, but not cars. Cars have fuel filters, I don't see how sediment would or would not sink to the bottom regardless of how full the tank is, not to mention that once you started driving, even if there was some ghost sediment, it would slosh around a lot.
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

etdigitalis should not be trusted
Vinnie, you're not in the Air Force by chance are you?
Old 02-27-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
lol man just have someone start it for you like 1s a week. if you can find someone that is.......5-10s idle is fine with a little gas