Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

best brand of motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by digitaldemigod
I use Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30

I think doing my own oil changes is much cheaper. My wife works at a walmart so I buy the oil there and get 10% off of it. Dealers are 40 miles from me so its too inconvenient to bring the car there. Cost me more in taking time off from work, gas to drive there, and sitting around waiting. My in laws have a lift in their garage and they live 6 miles away. Besides, I like to know that things are done right. =)
They have a lift, you luckey sob!
Old 01-01-2006
2001 Rallye Red EX

digitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pon55
They have a lift, you luckey sob!

I know right? It rocks having access to a lift. No more laying on the ground...

So you understand why I married my wife now right? LOL
Old 01-01-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
i use mobil1 but am considering useing royal purpule sometime
Old 01-02-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by drunkenmagnum
i use mobil1 but am considering useing royal purpule sometime

Royal Purple is GREAT stuff, to bad it only lasts about 1,500-2,000 miles.
Old 01-02-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
I use Castrol Syntec with K&N Oil Filter, change it myself.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Brand of Oil

Mobile 1 all the way.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

teg91ls should not be trustedteg91ls should not be trustedteg91ls should not be trustedteg91ls should not be trustedteg91ls should not be trustedteg91ls should not be trusted
im switching to redline soon
Old 01-05-2006
Registered!!

NCSUEngineer84 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this subject has been beaten so many times, but I am wondering why there isn't a 5W-20 Valvoline Max-Life out. I know the manual recommends 5W-20, but there is only a 5W-30 available here for the Max-Life. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
hmm some oils just don't come in that weight. i would stick to 5w20 for the best mileage and overall protection. the engine parts are not as "loose" so a thinner oil protects better.
Old 01-05-2006
Registered!!

marinhovtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Here in Portugal we use BP Visco 7000!!!!
Is the best and the Civic type R's also use that one....

cumps
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
which is the best regular dino oil to use
Old 01-05-2006

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NCSUEngineer84
I know this subject has been beaten so many times, but I am wondering why there isn't a 5W-20 Valvoline Max-Life out. I know the manual recommends 5W-20, but there is only a 5W-30 available here for the Max-Life. Any suggestions?

Because most higher milage cars are older, and most older cars use 5w30. Really though, if you have 50,000-65,000 mile on your car, you are okay to use 5w30, infact it may be a little better. By the time you get that many miles, your engine has looser clearances and is more tolerable of a little thicker oil. They do make a Max-Life 5w20, I've seent it, but it is very hard to come by. You could ask a manager to order it and find an online retailer, they might be able to get it for you.
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

what did you say was a good dino oil? regular valvoline?
Old 01-07-2006

Originally Posted by gearbox
what did you say was a good dino oil? regular valvoline?

Personally, I use Motorcraft because I can buy 5 quarts of it for about $10-12 and it is easily found in 5w20 (because most new Ford's come needing 5w20). As for a good dino oil, any of the name brands are good, Castrol, Valvoline, Motorcraft ect. But they all seem to have the TBN drop around 4,000 miles regardless of brand (for big name brand dino oils without anything else added). Basically just pick one of the big names and stick with it. But yeah, I just use Motorcraft 5w20 in my cars/trucks untill they et about 65,000 miles, then I switch them to Max Life. I change the oil every 4,000 miles.

Some of my more modded cars (built Camaro and turbo civics I've had I ran synthetic) but not stock cars that don't require it.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 01-07-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-07-2006
Premium Member

i guess i'll use the honda branded oil (only 1.99 a quart) for another 20k and switch to maxlife
Old 01-07-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Royal Purple is GREAT stuff, to bad it only lasts about 1,500-2,000 miles.
where on earth did you hear this? royal purple can last much longer than that. go to the bobistheoilguy.com forums and search royal purple in the used oil analysis section. and honda branded oil is a waste. its just buy exxon superflo, its the same stuff for a buck less a quart. oh and also, there is no one oil that all honda dealerships use. whatevers cheapest usually

Last edited by ctx66; 01-07-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2006
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
castrol gtx 5w-20, change every 3000 runs fine
Old 01-09-2006

Originally Posted by ctx66
where on earth did you hear this? royal purple can last much longer than that. go to the bobistheoilguy.com forums and search royal purple in the used oil analysis section. and honda branded oil is a waste. its just buy exxon superflo, its the same stuff for a buck less a quart. oh and also, there is no one oil that all honda dealerships use. whatevers cheapest usually

Try a google search for oil analysis of Royal Purple. Funny everybody I have ever talked to that has run an oil analysis on it says the same thing, great oil, TBN just drops way to quick. It was made to be a race oil, most race engines only go 500 miles between rebuilds, some even less, I don't think a 5,000 miles oil change is on the mind of guys with full race engines.

Edit*** I will give you this, I was exgerating with a 2,000 mile oil change, it can probably go about 4,000 miles tops. And if you take a look over at bobistheoilguy.com, you'll see most people agree that there are far better oils out there for the price that can go far longer. And the fact that it looses it's viscosity around 4,000 miles on most tests shows me something is weird about that oil, a synthetic should NEVER loose it's viscotsity that quickly unless it's viscosity was being held by the addatives, which case the stocks are all the same for all the viscosities, which would be a BIG

Last edited by Jrfish007; 01-09-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by rockrosa
I live in Boston, not middle America!
What dealership is charging $23 for an oil change? I think Honda North is more than $35.
Old 01-23-2006
Registered!!

sPiKeNaToR is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Motor Oil 5W20 of course!
Old 09-22-2009
Registered!!

ottotheclown is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: best brand of motor oil?

Originally Posted by sPiKeNaToR
Honda Motor Oil 5W20 of course!
Honda Motor Oil is mostly Mobil 5000 but I am sure if a cheaper oil is available that is what you get at times. Remember it is a stealer you are at. Not a dealer. Keep in mind Mobil 1 shows higher iron in the many UOA that show up on BITOG website. Where is this high iron coming from???? Also it is hard to find out what you are getting with Mobil 1. I think you should not follow the herd so much. The best value is PP. The UOA that show up are really very good. Keep in mind with Redline your warranty is on the line. EMISSION issues can show up too. Royal Purple shears also,and it is SL rated so you have warranty issues. Amsoil is in a class by itself.
Old 09-23-2009
Premium Member

Re: best brand of motor oil?

yeah bottom line if you can afford it, use amsoil. but for a civic i think its a waste. even conventional valvoline will take your engine to prolly 500k miles, well beyond the point where you would even care about whether the engine still works. usually the engine is the last thing to fail on a honda. look at all the old civics and accords out there from 20+ yrs ago still on the original engine.
Old 09-24-2009
Registered!!

Piloto is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobil 1 fully synthetic extended performance 5w-20, plus the mobil 1 filter its designed to withstand higher temp, longer haul overall personally i recommend change every 10,000 not 15,000, for the properties are contaminated and resists up to 15,000. Hope this helps, I own a 09 C350MB and MB techs always use Mobil 1 extended performance. Top of the line.

Last edited by Piloto; 09-24-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2009
Registered!!

Bloody Arro is an unknown quantity at this point

Royal Purple is what I use..
Old 09-24-2009
Registered!!

Donkeyweezil is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always been a strong beliver in Amsoil....car gets better fuel milage, runs cooler as well....
Old 09-27-2009
Registered!!

ottotheclown is an unknown quantity at this point

Want very good value? Good UOA ? Cost till end of year $1.. a quart? All syn? Try Pennzoil with the $15 rebate Wally World 5qt. jug,at $20 you do the math.. Love the oil a sure winner and one that gets proven results re. UOA on BOB IS THE OIL GUY .COM Watch Mobil one re. high iron in UOA results. Many show this scary where is this iron coming from? Kendall which is Motorcraft too, is a sleeper oil on sale till Oct 4th at shelp boys for 20$ 5 qts plus proline filter. Remember Civics are pretty easy on oil for the most part.
Old 09-27-2009
Registered!!

mickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by micks7thgen
castrol gtx 5w-20, change every 3000 runs fine
yup yup this is what i use too
Old 09-27-2009
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

I use Castrol Syntec, used it since new. The way I beat that poor motor it needs all the love it can get!
Old 09-27-2009
Premium Member

no other oil unleashes more hp!
Old 09-27-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
no other oil unleashes more hp!
and I got stickers too!

Quick Reply: best brand of motor oil?