Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

gas quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005
Newbie Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thomusvoo is on a distinguished road
gas quality

i been using chevron for the past 2 years and nothing else.
just last week i pumped a full tank of Shell gas.
and holy COW!!!! what a difference it makes!!!!
my car runs noticably smoother and quieter; and i know it may sound crazy, but i think it runs faster.
so for now on, its nothing but shell for me =)
anybody concur?
not sure if i get better gas milage, but i will check.

thought i might share and let everybody know who uses other kinds of gas, to try shell out for once.
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
i tried shell before, wasn't impressed
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I really cant tell a difference with any gas I use, that all seem the same to me. I use only cheveron though since they claim to use so many additives.
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

Robb989 is an unknown quantity at this point
is it better to get gas at an exxon, mobile, or shell, than it is to get it from a turkey hill or sheetz?
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Robb989
is it better to get gas at an exxon, mobile, or shell, than it is to get it from a turkey hill or sheetz?
better to get it from a major gas station like shell or exxon or cheveron than mom and pop stations. those gases usually arent of high quality and sit fro longs periods of time.
Old 08-26-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
my car rejected shell gas like whoa. Felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. I used to use chevron first two years, now the third year use mobil all the time. It is great gas, makes the car run good. Also throw in some fp60 and that makes it even better. Smooth engine sound, no growl or harsh revs.
Old 08-26-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I don't like Shell.

I've been using 76 lately and it's given me great gas milage. This tank in particular is very, very, very strange ... I've driven only a little lighter than I normally drive, but I'm around 340 miles and I still have 3/8 tank left ...

my typical tank takes me 360 miles til the gas light turns on ...

Last edited by aznboysrfr; 08-26-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
moving to fuel, oil forum
Old 08-26-2005
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
i have definitely to concur, especially with the v-power, its a LOT Smoother, i think it has a better quality...
Old 08-26-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
76 all the time for me. used to use chervron but they have the highest prices around town. so i went with 76. didnt notice any difference between the two when i would fill up with 87 and even 91 on the other cars.

i believe there was a webpage that tested all fuel gasoline is the same. only differences are the grades that you purchase (86+). if i find it, ill post it here
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

angelswin is on a distinguished road
I saw a show where the guys who work at the refineries that make gas say that gas is gas.All your paying for is the name.When they ship gas through the pipelines a cerain company will add their additives during certain times of the shipping process.Its also not guaranteed your getting what your paying for,like you might go to Shell gas and end up getting gas from 76.
Old 08-26-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
chevron is actually one of the best out there...shell is not as good...the techron additive in the chevron gas is what gives it its kick...but the vpower thing that shell has for the premium helps a lot too which is basically shell gas with techron
Old 08-26-2005
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
mmm...
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
It's all the same gas but different companies use different additives.Like arco is just the plan gas which is why it's cheaper. Chevron has additives so it runs a little more. I usually use 76 or Chevron but Arco's looking good since it's about 10 cents cheaper now....
Old 08-26-2005
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never used Shell, but BP does seem to give me better mileage than most others. I have an 03 EX with almost 45k.. use the air mostly all the time. With most gasses I seem to get around 330 before the low fuel light.. BP I can get 340-360. There is no Chevrons around Chicagoland that I am aware of. Lately I've been using only BP because of the mileage gains. I haven't really noticed any performance difference, just mileage.
Old 08-27-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by angelswin
I saw a show where the guys who work at the refineries that make gas say that gas is gas.All your paying for is the name.When they ship gas through the pipelines a cerain company will add their additives during certain times of the shipping process.Its also not guaranteed your getting what your paying for,like you might go to Shell gas and end up getting gas from 76.

Exactly gas is gas, some companies put a few addative in, but for the most part it all comes from the ground, looks the same and goes through pretty close to the same refineries... There are two major different types of refineries, and one is better than the other, but EVERY major oil company has both types of refineries and there is no way of knowing which one you just got a tank of. And like anlges said, you may not even get the gas you just thoguht you bought lol.

In short, stay away from oxidated gases and make sure the pump you ar buying from says 100% gas, you want to stay away from ethanol/methanol mixtures because they'll slowly eat your fuel pump, lines and seals away. Other than that it's personal preferance, you can use what ever you want, personally I use the cheapest crap I can find, but I only get about 18 MPG and have no need for more power (300 hp and 365 ft-lb is plenty).

I also stay away from the mom and pop stations, go with big names.
Old 08-27-2005
Registered!!

20civic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by A03
I've never used Shell, but BP does seem to give me better mileage than most others. I have an 03 EX with almost 45k.. use the air mostly all the time. With most gasses I seem to get around 330 before the low fuel light.. BP I can get 340-360. There is no Chevrons around Chicagoland that I am aware of. Lately I've been using only BP because of the mileage gains. I haven't really noticed any performance difference, just mileage.
i have an 01 lx, and when i bought my car from the dealership, they specifically told me not to use bp/amoco cause of the additives they use. when i use those gases i can tell a drop in performance. is it just me?
Old 08-27-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
every place here has 10% etoh for better emissions. Not that a civic needs that but still. i hope the fp60 will help with protecting the fuel system.
Old 08-27-2005
Registered!!

me2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like using shell's mid grade gas because its in between regular and premium for octane but with oil prices so high know ive been using just regular. It pisses me off paying a dollor a liter for gas and we have so much oil here where i live.
Old 08-27-2005
Registered!!

clrumivier4life is an unknown quantity at this point
i only pump shell
Old 08-27-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 20civic01
i have an 01 lx, and when i bought my car from the dealership, they specifically told me not to use bp/amoco cause of the additives they use. when i use those gases i can tell a drop in performance. is it just me?

BP tend to oxygenate their gas, this a dirty cheap trick they use They claim it makes for better emmisions, but for the most part they are just selling you less gas at the same price as everybody else.

Before you guys start saying well BP is good in my car, realize that EVERY state has different laws, so while here in Ohio they can get away with that crap, in other states they may not be able to. Point is gas varies from state to state, so just because I say BP sucks, doesn't mean it sucks where you live.
Old 08-27-2005
Premium Member

ya in illinois at least, there's the ethanol in there year around. i 've never been to a station that doesn't have that sticker up.
Old 08-27-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
every place here has 10% etoh for better emissions. Not that a civic needs that but still. i hope the fp60 will help with protecting the fuel system.

EtOH is manidtory in some states and illegal in others lol

EtOH is not as bad at eating stuff away as MeOH (methanol) though, so it shouldn't be that big of a worry. The FP60 will help to clean your fuel system and keep carbon and all that jusk out and breaking it down, it can't however prevent the corrosion of the rubbers. If you're using the FP60, I suggest checking you fuel filters often, hopefully they'll catch a bunch of the stuff that it loosened up.
Old 08-27-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
only difference i feel is when i pop in a few gallons of 92 octane for ***** and giggles on boring friday nights.... BIG difference! lol!
Old 08-27-2005
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I was at 347 today with no low fuel light yet, using BP... I filled up this time with Shell though. I've never used it before, so we'll see how it does. I'm not expecting any miracles, just want to try it.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

20civic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
BP tend to oxygenate their gas, this a dirty cheap trick they use They claim it makes for better emmisions, but for the most part they are just selling you less gas at the same price as everybody else.

Before you guys start saying well BP is good in my car, realize that EVERY state has different laws, so while here in Ohio they can get away with that crap, in other states they may not be able to. Point is gas varies from state to state, so just because I say BP sucks, doesn't mean it sucks where you live.
ahhhh, well, i bought my car in toledo, so i guess that makes sense.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
I just use closest gas stations from my location..lol I don't feel no difference..so hehe
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend's dad works as a manager for Shell. He's a process engineer, judging by the amount of research they put into their fuels and the kinds of technology they've come up with, and the kinds of increased efficiency reports I've been hearing him talk about it seems to me like Shell is head over heels above the rest, they're a huge firm and they employ a lot of people and unlike a lot of more complacent firms, they do an awful lot of research.
Old 09-02-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
my car loves BP. never use chevron, they ripp people off. i use kroger gas. (grocery store). i use my gas station gas QT. shell works good. phillips sucks, racetrac is ok. i usually pick the cheapest 87 i can find, cause im broke. but yeah, when i filled up on premium a couple of times i got 20 mpg....and at 87 im still gettin 40 and higher on the highway. there are different things in each grade. octane "booster" is just you paying 2 bucks for a bottle that has the same crap as premium gas in it already. so in saying that, pick one, get regular or be dumb.
Old 09-02-2005

lol... lately I've been buying gas from Sam's Club, their about .15-.20 cents cheaper lol...

Stupid B18C1's need 93 octane too..... Darn 11:1 compression ratio lol.

Quick Reply: gas quality