Fuel System Cleaners and Additives? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2005   #1  
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Fuel System Cleaners and Additives?

I was just at the shop having issues with my idle control valve - it basically dictates your a/f ratio or so they say. the part cost 200 but thankfully the guys at the shop were able to clean my existing part and got it functioning again. Appearantly, carbon buildup caused the part to fail. They recommended using their full fuel system treatment which was 80 bucks. It had an injector cleaner, manifold runner cleaner, a TB cleaner and some other things. I declined as the part was working again. Would process help in reducing buildup?

Is it really worth 80 bucks or can i just go to Walmart and get some STP Fuel System Cleaner for 8?

Would using an intake with an air filter w/ oil (like K&N)have any impact on the idle control valve that is located under the TB?

thanks for the input

Last edited by blouisgod; 03-09-2005 at 05:17 PM.
blouisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #2  
Registered!!

fuchs is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blouisgod
I was just at the shop having issues with my idle control valve - it basically dictates your a/f ratio or so they say. the part cost 200 but thankfully the guys at the shop were able to clean my existing part and got it functioning again. Appearantly, carbon buildup caused the part to fail. They recommended using their full fuel system treatment which was 80 bucks. It had an injector cleaner, manifold runner cleaner, a TB cleaner and some other things. I declined as the part was working again. Would process help in reducing buildup?

Is it really worth 80 bucks or can i just go to Walmart and get some STP Fuel System Cleaner for 8?

Would using an intake with an oil filter have any impact on the idle control valve that is located under the TB?

thanks for the input
I hope you meant intake with an AIR filter $80 is not that bad...depending on what products they are using. I know that the BG induction service we do is $180. It does a pretty good job though. But, that is at a dealership, and I know that the chemicals only cost about $40.
fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #3  
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Use Top Tier fuels (Chevron, Shell, 76 and several others) because they are formulated to reduce build up such as yours. Honda is one of the sponsoring manufacturers, along with BMW.

In the tank of gas before your oil change add a bottle of Techron or RL Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Add this stuff on the fill up before the oil change so you can run through the tank of gas before you change oil.

Other fuel additives will work but I think that Top Tier qualified gas helps keeps the innards clean. You might not even have IAC issues in the future.
Flashlightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #4  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Use TB cleaner and do it yourself with a cloth. Then add soem fuel system cleaner. Greased lightning works well and should be used only once a year. Techron is crap, I used it for 20k miles every 3k and there was tons of buildup.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #5  
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchs
I hope you meant intake with an AIR filter $80 is not that bad...depending on what products they are using. I know that the BG induction service we do is $180. It does a pretty good job though. But, that is at a dealership, and I know that the chemicals only cost about $40.
Oops - I changed it.

With TB cleaner, do I just whipe down the inside of the throttle body? I'll try some of the stronger brands of fuel system cleaner, ie Greased Lightning. Thanks
blouisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #6  
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all
We use the BG also, and have used other brands here at the shop over the years, but the BG is by far the best product out there. If you want an over the counter additive from your local parts house, use Redline or Lucas. The BG does seem to make a noticeable difference, and has actually helped with emissions problems on some cars.
nitroal1973 is offline   Reply With Quote