Site Tips and Tricks Helpful tips and tricks to guide you through the site.

Forum Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
Post Forum Tutorial

Forum Tutorial
Hey guys, I’ve notice that a lot of people don’t know how to use the “User Control Panel” lately so I figured I’d make a little tutorial for everyone.
Let’s start by how to get to the control panel, at the top of the page there are the buttons “Home” “Forum” “User CP” etc, you want to click on the “User CP” link. For those of you that like pretty pictures, here:

Once you get into the User Control Panel, you’ll see the sidebar on the left. This sidebar has various links that really make it easy to edit “yourself” on the site.
Settings & Options helps you change what people see when you post; your avatars, email, profile, etc.
Private Messages (PMs if you’re that new) Help you send, read, and delete new private messages.
Subscribed Threads lists your subscribed threads; along with letting you arrange your subscribed thread in different folders. For those of you that don’t know what “subscribed thread” means, it means that and thread you have posted in.
Miscellaneous is exactly what it says, different things you might want to do to your account that really don’t fall into any category, but are still useful.

Also, when you get into the User Control Panel you’ll see another window that is titled “New Subscribed Threads.” This tells you about any new threads that you are subscribed to that have unread posts. Yes, I’m glad you’re sitting down; I do have another picture for you:

Underneath that is the reputation breaks down. This is the most difficult part to figure out about the User CP. Of course this means I’ll spend the most time on it.

Reputation is basically an “official” way of someone giving you props and telling you that they hate what you said. Unfortunately, there’s no way to dictate when someone is going to give you positive rep or negative rep. The person providing the rep determines that. The way I determine rep is if the individual went above and beyond for the person. For example, someone is asking about how to put a wing on a car. The way you get negative rep (again, this is all in the eyes of the beholder), is to say “ you’re a spaz, why would you want a wing on your car? You're gonna take off from the airport?” or something of that sort. How was that helpful? You belittled him, now why would you do that? Exactly. The way you get positive rep is to not only tell the person, but go beyond, give pictures, a website walking them through how, etc. Basically, the way you would want to be told, if you were going to put a wing on your car. Obviously, the “Off Topic” section of our forum is a little different, most of the time you get positive rep for saying something insanely funny or giving someone good advice.

Now let’s take a look at what the reputation screen looks like in the “User CP.”

Now in the first column, you see red, green, or grey squares. These show you whether the rep was positive, negative, or had no affect on you. The second column tells you what thread you response was in, and if you click the link, it is a direct link to you post. The third column, you guessed it, that’s the date you received the reputation. The fourth column shows you the comments of the person that rep’d you. Now remember, if your leaving somebody rep, you always want to leave you user-id, so other person know who rep’d them. For example, look in my comments on the second row, no name; I have no idea who did that. Was it you? Exactly.
Also, to see a person’s amount of reputation, look in the upper right hand corner of any of their posts, the more bars they have, the more positive reputation they have, the more red, the more negative. Now you’ll only see grey bars when the person doesn’t have enough reputation to be positive or negative (a.k.a. they’re new). Here’s the final pretty picture.

That is about all I can think of to explain the User Control Panel. If you can think of anything that I could change, add, or delete, feel free to PM me (Booba5185) or email me at twinsarereallycool@yahoo.com

Last edited by Derek-CEO; 12-08-2005 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FullyStocked (05-08-2021)
Old 12-24-2005
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
euromx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
good job
Old 12-24-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
thanks, any questions, pm me
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

BoostedVik is an unknown quantity at this point
when do u get the option of seeing who rep ya, or to close a thread.. **** like that???
Old 03-29-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
the only way you can see who reped you is if they leave their name, and if a thread is moved, closed, deleted, etc. you get a pm from the forum bot, telling you who made the change so if u have questions you can pm them.
Old 04-03-2006
Registered!!

BoostedVik is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the proper way to rep some one when they help u out, is to rep them with positive comment and include the username, and donate some points also
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

dr_kno is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Forum Tutorial

wakka
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

whitealexander is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Forum Tutorial

nice tuts.. thanks a lot..