Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ClickRight is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: got a squeaky clutch? I fixed mine today **pic added**

Originally Posted by ClickRight
Nevermind, I got it done with some help

Works great, no more squeak on the outside, but now there's a sound on the inside

Doing this made the clutch pedal move easier and more smooth too. Awesome

Damn, the noise is back I see. I did a good job of cleaning her up and lubeing her too Guess I'll just have to live with it
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

HondCivc91 is an unknown quantity at this point

where are you guys accessing your clutch master cylinders?? from inside the car?? From what I can tell, I can not easily access mine from under the hood. I can hardly see it - let alone get to it.

Can anyone post up a picture of the master cylinder everyone is talking about? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

HondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the rough

Hope these help you...(my first time posting pics...be nice to me)

Here's a pic of the slave cyl. (not the clutch master cyl. )for location reference...

Heres one of the actual slave cyl. up close...

Find the whole schematic HERE and number 7 is the slave cyl. as seen below

Free shot of my bay....

Last edited by HondaCivicCat; 01-13-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Fixing stuff...pwnd for not paying attention
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

HondCivc91 is an unknown quantity at this point

...nevermind that last post. i was able to get to it, take it apart, clean it, and apply joint grease to the ball joint. worked like a charm!
Old 01-13-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HondaCivicCat
Hope these help you...(my first time posting pics...be nice to me)

Heres one for location reference...

Heres one of the actual thingy...

Heres a schematic from majestic honda

Find the whole schematic HERE

Free shot of my bay....

first pic is actually the slave cylinder, so is the second, the schematic from majestic is the correct one, but the clutch master cylinder is actually bolted to the brake booster, along with the brake master cylinder
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

HondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the roughHondaCivicCat is a jewel in the rough

^^^thanks, you're right...I put up the wrong schematic (should have put up the slave cyl schematic) and called the slave cyl. the clutch master.

Originally Posted by EM2Civic
1. Find the clutch cyclinder( dunno if it is the right name) on the left side of the headers, u will see 2 bolts holding the clutch cyclinder, remove them.
It seems that from the beginning of the post people were calling the slave cyl the clutch master cyl. which is what initially got me confused. But the original DIY was to lube up the slave cyl. where it connects to the release fork so that is what I was trying to take pics of but was using the wrong terminology like in the first few pages.

I'll edit the previous post with the correct schematic and correct terminology.
Thanks for pointing this out greeen01civic4d; could have caused a lot of confusion

<<<<<pwnd for reading the first post only
Old 01-13-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

hey no prob man, i have the actual copy of honda's pdf for the TSB that covers this if u want it, hit me up with a pm containing ur email, and ill email it to u
Old 01-13-2008
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

just to let you guys know the thread starter said make sure you have clutch fluid just in case, there is no thing as clutch fluid...you add dot3 brake fluid to that little canister for your clutch, not tranny fluid or anything else
Old 01-13-2008
Banned

how about wd40, does that work, or axle grease maybe.... lol, thank you captain obvious... j/k all u gotta do is read the cap, itll tell ya, good point tho
Old 01-13-2008
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

yea but obviously the thread starter didnt read the cap so you never know lol
Old 04-17-2008
Registered!!

conspiracy90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of using white lithium grease. Don't you think it would be better to use molykote grease (molybdenum disulphite)?

This is actually the grease honda use between brake pads and calipers to stop squeaks.

It is much more resistant to pressure and temperature as compared to lithium grease.

Maybe that could be a permanent solution to clutch squeaking problems related to slave cylinder.
Old 05-07-2008
Registered!!

inthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trusted

I know this is an old thread, but it's still very much relevant. How do I check the clutch fluid level, what am I looking for?

thanks
Old 05-10-2008
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light

The clutch fluid reservoir is the smaller white with grey cap container (next to the brake fluid reservoir) at the top right of the pic (provided above by HondaCivicCat):

Old 09-19-2008
Registered!!

VicBNimble is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread saved my sanity! My clutch was squeaking like crazy (interior and under the hood). I sprayed the interior one down with white lithium grease and lubed the slave cylinder ball joint with conventioal (GLOPPY) grease. No more squeak! On a side note (pardon the fact that I am not a mechanic), if you remove any piece, specifically the ball part of the joint from the slave cylinder, your clutch will lose pressure. No worries, though, it will regain pressure once the ball is securely back in place.
Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point

This needs to be a sticky. And btw, does anyone have updated pictures on how to do this? Getting real annoying to listen to in my car~!!!
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

batman900 will become famous soon enough

Second for new DIY pics, origionals dont work.
Old 06-28-2009
Registered!!

mickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the roughmickeycivic04 is a jewel in the rough

yup^^
Old 07-10-2009
Registered!!

hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point

bump, anyone have updated pictures?
Old 07-16-2009
Registered!!

02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i just did this today and took pics for everyone to enjoy...

first you're going to want to unhook your 02 sensor wires from their mount (this was done on a dx but i believe the ex wires connect at the same bracket)

next you're going to unbolt that bracket and the bolt next to it, these are what hold the clutch piston to the block.

look at pics 1-3 for a good look at where the black cover is the piston is right next to it i just didn't take a pic of it... picture 3 is from under the car. jacking the car up is not necessary but it made it a lot easier to get the under side all lubed up imo...

next pull off the black dust cover and you should see this... (see pic 4) pic 4 is also from under the car

now just use as much white lithium grease as possible... i actually did it once form top once from bottom then bolted it back together and pumped the clutch a few dozen times and then did it from the top again... pic 5 is how it looked after i lubed it all up

when i unbolted the piston i actually pulled the rod out away from where it contacts the shift fork... and it came out of it's boot and i thought i screwed it up but it actually just sits in there... so i sprayed the top of it and where it sits on the shift fork before reassembling it all...

and reassembling is the hardest part because you have to get that rod to sit in the piston and on the shift fork with the black dust cover on it and keep it there while you thread the bolts in...

but it was totally worth it... no more annoying squeaking!!!

p.s. i also sprayed some of the grease on the rod where the clutch pedal goes into the master cylinder from inside the car because that is a typical spot for squeaking as well as the joint for the pedal.

i hope i covered everything please ask me any questions if i forgot something...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	3338
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	76940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.jpg
Views:	2643
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	76941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3.jpg
Views:	2612
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	76942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 4.jpg
Views:	2721
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	76943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 5.jpg
Views:	2735
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	76944  

Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

nirama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 7Gnoob
All I had to do to get rid of the problem is press the clutch down using my hand, with my free hand, spray white grease in the little ball socket hole that you can see from inside underneath the steering wheel. Worked on both my 7thgens for about 5 months now.
Originally Posted by silverem2
for all of you wanting to get rid of that "stepping on a old wooden floor" squeek when you first push it in, spraying in that little hole like he said will do the trick, just tried it and it worked.
Originally Posted by Whelan
Just a side note

What Silverem2 did worked perfectly well and requires no working under the hood.

Simply get a can of white lithium spray with the little straw and pop off the two panels under your steering wheel. They come right of with twist locks so its very easy. This will allow you access to the clutch pedal.

If you press the clutch pedal and look at the rod that goes through the firewall a hole opens up around the rod as the pedal is pushed.

Simply push the pedal in and shoot the grease into the open area until it starts to pour out. Do the top and the bottom and your all set. Give the pedal a few pushes and your good to go.
Originally Posted by 02_d17a1_dx
p.s. i also sprayed some of the grease on the rod where the clutch pedal goes into the master cylinder from inside the car because that is a typical spot for squeaking as well as the joint for the pedal.
I want to do this. Does it require that I disassemble the dash under the steering wheel, or can I just get on my knees and look up? Whelan says I need to remove two panels from underneath my steering wheel (which by the way, can I literally just pop them off, or do I need a screwdriver?), but the other three posters just mention doing it. I'm including a picture of what I think I am supposed to grease up with white lithium grease. Is this correct?

Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

oops, double post

Last edited by nirama; 08-12-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nirama
I want to do this. Does it require that I disassemble the dash under the steering wheel, or can I just get on my knees and look up? Whelan says I need to remove two panels from underneath my steering wheel (which by the way, can I literally just pop them off, or do I need a screwdriver?), but the other three posters just mention doing it. I'm including a picture of what I think I am supposed to grease up with white lithium grease. Is this correct?

The panels should just pull out, it has no screws or anything. The panel under the dash should just come out easy and on the picture yes that is the push rod and goes to the master cylinder and blah blah. The rod is the part you need to grease and it should stop squeaking.
Old 08-12-2010
Registered!!

I just tried spraying the rod with grease and it didn't really work. Am I supposed to stick the straw into the actual hole when the clutch is depressed in, or just grease the rod? Do I need to remove the panels?

Or do I need to actually do some work under the hood? My neighbor just said he had that problem and said that I had to grease the clutch somewhere under the hood. I'm assuming that the problem is much like this one:
Originally Posted by IDQcivic
I fixed my squeak last night, it was under the hood near the clutch cylinder. I didn't even have to unbolt anything. I just took off the rubber boot and then there was another rubber boot which I sprayed some white grease in there and it works wonders. I don't know how long it will last but it felt a lot nicer, and I didnt hear any more noise!
We tried looking for it, but couldn't find it.
Originally Posted by HondCivc91
where are you guys accessing your clutch master cylinders?? from inside the car?? From what I can tell, I can not easily access mine from under the hood. I can hardly see it - let alone get to it.
Is it possible that one of these is the solution?

Originally Posted by HondCivc91
whenever i get a squeaky clutch pedal once in a blue moon, i take off the plastic panels underneath the steering colum and spray lithium grease into the cylinder that goes through the firewall for the clutch.
Originally Posted by ZippyDan
at the front of the L shaped boot (facing you if you are facing the car), there is a slit in the boot that you can stick your fingers in and feel around. you could easily wildly spray some lithium grease in there and probably accomplish nearly the same thing a little less precisely. in fact im pretty sure that is why that slit is there
Also, how bad is the squeaky clutch for your car anyway?

Last edited by nirama; 08-12-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

anyone?
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about

Nirama,

If the squeak sounds like it is in the interior of the car when you step on the clutch, then you need to spray the lubricant in the hole.

If the squeak originates from under the hood, locate the clutch slave cylinder. To the left of it is a rubber dust cover (if you are looking down at the engine bay). Take it off and saturate where the clutch release fork meets the clutch slave cylinder.

1=Dust boot 2=Clutch slave cylinder

Last edited by Wolfgang5884; 08-17-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about

Hope that helps with the under hood squeak. Don't have enough time to post interior clutch squeak. Maybe later.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Thanks a lot. Does the squeak require immediate attention?
Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

No, the issue has to do with a metal ball joint rubbing against another surface without lube. <insert funny joke here> the sooner you can grease it up the better, but it's not going to hurt if you wait 2 weeks. I didn't grease mine for over a year and I didn't notice any real damage when I took both problem areas apart.
Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

D17cancun is an unknown quantity at this point

And what happend if my clutch pedal dont have any pressure do i have to do that jajajajajaj

lol

good job, did that along time when i got pressure ojojojo
Old 08-21-2010
Registered!!

White02CivicSi has a spectacular aura aboutWhite02CivicSi has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Wolfgang5884
Hope that helps with the under hood squeak. Don't have enough time to post interior clutch squeak. Maybe later.
Hey Wolfgang5884, Can you pls post some pictures for the interior clutch squeak. I would greatly appreciate it. thank you very much.

Quick Reply: got a squeaky clutch? I fixed mine today **pic added**