DIY polyurethane motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light
DIY polyurethane motor mounts

So my front and rear motor are giving out. The poor little stock mounts just cant hold up. Soooo I did what anyone would do. I searched for some nice new solid motor mounts..........$400.00 dollars. WTF. um no. So here is my DIY solid motor mounts Total cost $32.00

things needed

card board

razor blades

duct tape

Devon Flexane 94 or 80 (can be puchased on line or at Granger) I used 94

Stock motor mounts

Stock worn out motor mounts.....make sure they are clean. I sprayed them down with some brake cleaner

Once they are clean make a cardboard cut out of one side of the mount and cut out the mounting pin. Then tape it off real good. You want to basicly seal up the entire one side. I used duct tape

Once that is done Mix your Devon Flexane following the instructions and pour in to motor mounts slowly to alow bubbles to rise.

now let dry for 4 hours before moving. Let dry for 48 hours before re-installing to car

Finished product

there are 2 types of devon flexane. Devon 94 and devon 80. the devon 94 is solid as hell. its the stuff they make hocky pucks out of. the 80 has more flex to it. It will be more solid then stock but still have some room for vibration dampning.

Enjoy.

Again Total cost to me $32.
The following users liked this post:
Andym (04-23-2020)
Old 06-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY polyurethane motor mounts

oh, really.. wow.. A cheap solution to the energy suspension motor mount inserts.. Install 'em on the car yet or are they still in the 48hr curing phase?

+1 for you
The following users liked this post:
Andym (04-23-2020)
Old 06-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remmick69 will become famous soon enough

Soooo, hows it working for ya? Any really bad vibration? more of a solid feel?
Old 06-17-2010
Remebers the old days

CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

I did this 3 years ago. Just figured I would post it up now.

LOVE IT. Solid feel. though you can feel every motor vibration in your *** and hands but you get used to it after a while. No wheel hop at all. Motor does not move on the dyno. Not even an inch. It also really helped in understeer at the autocross track comming out of turns. Best 32 bucks I have spent on the entire car.
Old 06-17-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

this is the stuff, right? Looks like they hiked the price up since you did it

94: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5E154?Pid=search
80: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5A460?Pid=search
Old 06-17-2010
Remebers the old days

yup thats it. Ya I guess it did go up a little bit.
Old 06-18-2010
Remebers the old days

Just another warning to people that are thinking about doing this.

94 is very stiff. You will feel every vibration. If your car is going to be turboed at some time I recommend this one.

80 feels the same as the poly motor mount inserts or energy bushings. Its a softer Poly and more suited for people that will have mild mods but want a firmer feel.
Old 06-18-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i used the ES bushing inserts but only on the front mount. i have almost no vibes and its only really noticable with the a/c on. but even then its not bad and hard to notice. much better acceleration tho compared to a broken mount.
Old 06-18-2010
Remebers the old days

I had those at first but when we dynoed the car we noticed the motor was still moving around way to much for my liking so I opted for this route.
Old 06-19-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i know its not the best solution, but i wanted a compromise. i had the ingalls engine damper before and it was way too much for a daily driver. the whole car would be shaking and resonating non stop. altho acceleration from a stop was vastly improved. i even chirped the tires a few times lol, and i only have the 90hp stock motor. i felt bad taking it off, but the noise and shaking got to be more than it was worth.
Old 06-25-2010
Remebers the old days

Ya I feel you. I guess I just got used to it cause I dont feel it anymore like I used to. even the clutch is more responsive. But then again I dont remember what a 90hp stock civic feels like anymore.
Old 11-20-2010
Registered!!

cembasmaci is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
i used the ES bushing inserts but only on the front mount. i have almost no vibes and its only really noticable with the a/c on. but even then its not bad and hard to notice. much better acceleration tho compared to a broken mount.
Hi gearbox,

I have tried but couldn't find ES motor mounts for 01-05 civic w auto tranny

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16%2E1111

At the bottom it says "Fits Models with Manual Transmission Only "

how did you manage to insert motor mounts to your auto tranny ?

or the front motor mount inserts are the same both for manuel and auto ? and the rear one is different ? so that you have only applied the front one ?

Need your help

Thanks...
Old 11-20-2010
Premium Member

yeah i took a chance, and the front ones fit! there are four mounts total in the kit, two for front and two for rear. i just did the front inserts cause its the easiest, and i didnt want too much vibration, just to fix the torn front mount which is the only one that usually breaks. rear two pieces i threw away so dont know if they wouldnt worked or not. def not worth my trouble or paying to have it in. its much harder to get to. and then if it was to rough, id be stuck with it.
Old 11-20-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The DIY motor mounts are pretty cool, I'm glad someone bumped this thread or I would have got the ES ones.
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

yeah i took a chance, and the front ones fit! there are four mounts total in the kit, two for front and two for rear. i just did the front inserts cause its the easiest, and i didnt want too much vibration, just to fix the torn front mount which is the only one that usually breaks. rear two pieces i threw away so dont know if they wouldnt worked or not. def not worth my trouble or paying to have it in. its much harder to get to. and then if it was to rough, id be stuck with it.
Thanks for the info

I will prefer ES instead of DIY polyurethane because if you find it hard or uncomfortable you can not retrun to stock. You will have to buy new motor mounts I guess...

As I will go with ES do you know if any difference between black or red ones ?
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Quote From Energy Suspension's Official Website:

"Both are our Energy's HYPER-FLEX™ performance polyurethane formulations. Energy has impregnated selected black polyurethane components with graphite — to add a lubrication property. Additionally, both Energy Suspension® red and black polyurethane components are engineered differently than OEM rubber components — to be free a floating and non-binding design. This allows for the additional durometer (firmness) of the components, which adds to the performance improvement of the vehicle overall.

"Through its 25 years of design and formulation of polyurethane, Energy's polyurethane components are the best on the market today."
Basicly, black ones squeak a little less. Red ones look cool, but squeak slightly more.
Old 11-21-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cembasmaci
Thanks for the info

I will prefer ES instead of DIY polyurethane because if you find it hard or uncomfortable you can not retrun to stock. You will have to buy new motor mounts I guess...

As I will go with ES do you know if any difference between black or red ones ?
u know u can just drill holes through them to lessen the dampening... lol
Old 11-21-2010
Premium Member

red is much harder for racing, black is softer for street. go with black unless you want to feel your teeth rattle lol.

does anyone know if this urethane stuff is sold in stores? i wanna pour some in the interior pillar trims like the first gen civic hybrid for noise reduction. if you look behind the pillar, there are alot of closed square compartments you can easily pour this stuff into. then once it dries you have a much more solid panel to block road noise.
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I have red, they're stiff but not terrible.

Thats a really cool idea Gearbox, I get really excited when someone actually comes up with a new idea! Just curious, why use this stuff for that, wouldn't a can of high density spray foam work just as well?
Old 11-21-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

red is much harder for racing, black is softer for street. go with black unless you want to feel your teeth rattle lol.

does anyone know if this urethane stuff is sold in stores? i wanna pour some in the interior pillar trims like the first gen civic hybrid for noise reduction. if you look behind the pillar, there are alot of closed square compartments you can easily pour this stuff into. then once it dries you have a much more solid panel to block road noise.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Casting-Resin-Ur...item4cf31de3d1

thats what i used to do my mounts. they'll work for u as well. plus for 30$ its like 4x more than the devon flexane (16oz). and its a tadddddd bit softer.
Old 11-21-2010
Premium Member

i ended up with the "great stuff" expanding foam again. i remember using this stuff 5 yrs ago on the rear seat panels to fill it in and it still looks perfect like the day i did it. im ripping out all the interior pillars and filling them with the foam. gotta do them all together cause the can only works once and then clogs itself. i also finally got sick of my rear window tint peeling and sagging everywhere and ripped it off too. good news is it peeled easily without taking any defrost lines with it. bad news, i have a layer of glue behind i cant even begin to think how long it will take to remove lol. first i need to get all the panels out before i even try anything. but yeah car is a mess again lol. i think i will keep the side tints for now, altho the triangle panels have some bubble and peel too. that seems like an even bigger pain to clean than the rear glass and i already have alot to do for now.
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If you ever want something denser than the great stuff foam, you can get much denser can foam as well. Its in the electrical section of hardware stores and is designed for fire stopping, actual use is pretty much identical to the great stuff the final product is just much harder.
Old 11-21-2010
Premium Member

yeah i saw that stuff too. it cost more tho so i got the regular. first casualty of the night, my rear defroster is no more. broke both metal tabs right off the rear glass trying to pry open the panels. oh well never used it anyway. does anyone have tips to take the glue off the window? im using some form of "desolv-it" goo gone type of something, but it takes alot of rubbing to do anything. i dont want to use my glass stripper because it could sand off the defrost lines (that i dont need anymore, but still).
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Gearbox, start a separate thread with what you are doing. I'm curious to see the results. Pictures are good too.
Old 11-21-2010

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Gearbox, start a separate thread with what you are doing. I'm curious to see the results. Pictures are good too.
+1
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

+2
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

+3
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

The difference between black and red is so huge ??

Gearbox which one do you use in your civic's front mount ? black or red ? If you use softer one (black) and does it even give noticeable gain in acceleration and engine response ???

I will decide upon your reply...
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you understand what the inserts do. They do not increase the horsepower of the engine to increase acceleration or engine response. They only help the traction. I have the black ones and had no idea they were softer than the red inserts. I chose the black simply because who wants red ****? I don't really think I'd like stiffer mounts.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
I don't think you understand what the inserts do. They do not increase the horsepower of the engine to increase acceleration or engine response. They only help the traction. I have the black ones and had no idea they were softer than the red inserts. I chose the black simply because who wants red ****? I don't really think I'd like stiffer mounts.
I know they do not increase horsepower. But I guess there must be a gain in terms of accelaration or engine response when limiting engine's movement.

I remember a company named Drop Engineering which produce motor mounts in green color. They were claiming better acceleration and better engine response.

Quick Reply: DIY polyurethane motor mounts