Under the seat/dash cosmetic LED's/EL wire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013
CivicCavalry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicCavalry is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Under the seat/dash cosmetic LED's/EL wire?

The cosmetic lighting that you see that is red or blue or green under the seat and near the pedals, how would I go about adding that into my 2001 Honda Civic LX?

I was thinking about just adding EL wire, but I like the area of effect that the LEDs give. What would be the best way to go about adding them in?

I'd prefer if you couldn't see a lot of the wires and works unless you're looking for it. Should I just get LEDs and hook them up to AA's and have a switch under the seat or what? Have you ever done that?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Notbrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Under the seat/dash cosmetic LED's/EL wire?

Ahh the lighting craze. I did this and it was fun, and can look nice too. The big thing I would say from experience is to stay away from neon lights. Sometimes the lighting can cause the SRS to trip, and turn off your airbag system. It has something to do with the sensors and the lights.

Go with LED lighting. Companies like StreetGlow or Liteglow make these in a two pack kit. Its been years since Ive had them so try these.

As far as power, you can use the wires behind the 12v socket and splice into those. Any car part store should have something, and then run the wires to a switch and a mount and screw it under the panel by the steering wheel. You can get all this at an auto store, and they should be able to help.

To run the wires, you will find ways to get a little creative and will have to play around with it all. Go with 6 inch tubes up front, and 9 nice tubes in back.

Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Under the seat/dash cosmetic LED's/EL wire?

Use the cig lighter if you want the LEDs on whenever the key is in pos(II). If you don't want them on while your driving and only want them to come on when you open a door then tap into the dome light trigger. I would have to look at the service manual to see what wire color you needed.