Old 09-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ericf1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
HID installation

can anyone do one? id really appreciate it
Old 09-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID installation

well this works for an 01-03 civic. if you know how to solder wires together then its easy to make. relay and ring terminals and fuse holders you can get from partsexpress.com just ignore the hi beam halogen part of the diagram, thats for if you have tyc projectors with hid low and separate halogen hi.

Name:  relaydiagram02gb.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  46.9 KB
Old 09-11-2011
Registered!!

inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point

so i've got spyder h4 halo projectors. but the damn things only fit h3 bulbs. wtf? it seems like there's a problem with the ballasts because my HID's flicker a lot. but i was wondering if i could use an h4 kit w/ the relay. then just hook up the h3 bulbs to it.

or could i just get slim ballasts w/ no relay and solve the flickering?
Old 09-11-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

flickering is either caused by low quality ballast or not enough power. you NEED a relay harness to run any hid. stock wires are barely 18 gauge and way too thin to supply the warmup power.
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

so i can use an h4 kit with relay on my h3 bulbs right?
Old 09-12-2011
Premium Member

well yeah, all the hid bulbs sizes should have the same connectors to the ballast (amp connection). the harness should be H4 because thats what the car has stock. hid bulb size doesnt matter since they only hook to the ballasts. then the ballasts hook to the wire harness.
Old 09-12-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
flickering is either caused by low quality ballast or not enough power. you NEED a relay harness to run any hid. stock wires are barely 18 gauge and way too thin to supply the warmup power.
I've been running a set of DDM HID's without a relay for almost a year now with no problems.
Old 09-12-2011
Premium Member

every time you turn them on, the wires will take a hit from the 20-40 amps startup draw (wiring was only designed for 5-10 amps). im not saying they will go out immediately, but over time the wires will eventually fry and not work at all. meaning your entire oem wiring will need to be thrown out.
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

has anyone used the relay from ddm? the last one i got from extremehids sucked so bad. the fuse ended up melting itself and the whole thing flickers less without damn thing anyway.
Old 09-13-2011
Registered!!

rberrey is an unknown quantity at this point

iv had 8000k hids in jdm projectors for over a year now, and dont have a relay, and everything seems to work fine
Old 09-13-2011
Premium Member

best to make your own harness and always use a quality relay like bosch or tyco. chinese relays are junk.
Old 09-14-2011
Registered!!

well i just bought the ddm slim ballasts. they say they draw less than six amps at startup and 3.4 amps at normal operating temp.
i got the relay too just to be safe. hopefully it isn't junk.
installed the cold air tube on my typhoon intake yesterday. and got oil and tranny fluid flush. happy car
Old 09-14-2011
Premium Member

its possible i guess, many of those specs are just words on a sticker so dont take them too literally. you can always swap to a better relay too. they should pull out of the holder.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

ateens4 is an unknown quantity at this point

do I need to change the fuse for HID?
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

7thplace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ateens4
do I need to change the fuse for HID?
no, you would not have to change the fuse if you are installing a HID kit. but a relay harness would be suggested but not required.
Old 02-08-2012
Registered!!

ateens4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 7thplace
no, you would not have to change the fuse if you are installing a HID kit. but a relay harness would be suggested but not required.
Thank you, I just got my DDM HIDs, they gave a set of wires. I'm just not sure where to put the 2 black ground wires. I will be installing saturday when I have time
Old 08-11-2016
Registered!!

lilrob1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
well this works for an 01-03 civic. if you know how to solder wires together then its easy to make. relay and ring terminals and fuse holders you can get from partsexpress.com just ignore the hi beam halogen part of the diagram, thats for if you have tyc projectors with hid low and separate halogen hi.

Idk how old this thread is, but I found this diagram when I was trying to search to figure out how to wire up my headlights when I get HID's so that they don't do what they do now, which is the low beams will turn off when the high beams turn on. But I will want the low beams to stay on when I turn on the high beams since I don't have bixenon projectors. Can you explain a little more how to wire this so it will be that way? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

go to theretrofitsource.com and buy a relay harness. It'll run you $35, but they make top-notch stuff (which they stand behind -- customer service is second to none), it'll all be PnP, and it'll do exactly what you want: low beam stay on when highs are activated.

Source: I'm running their relay harness in my HID setup

I'll even make it easy for you: Linky

If you're running halogen highs (my setup is a D2S HID low beam and H1 high beam), just go out to autozone or similar and pick up some female 9006 pigtails and use some electrical know-how to make a conversion harness to mate up with the 9006 connector on TRS's relay harness. On my setup, all I had to do was put some spade connectors on the 9006 pigtail harness since that's the connector H1 bulbs use.

edit: I should note that the relay harness only uses one input from the car (passenger or driver's side, your choice, but most likely passenger, since battery connections are on that side for the 7thgens). That said, I'd tape off or make a dummy plug (more recommended way) to protect the unused H4 pigtail from the elements
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

lilrob1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
go to theretrofitsource.com and buy a relay harness. It'll run you $35, but they make top-notch stuff (which they stand behind -- customer service is second to none), it'll all be PnP, and it'll do exactly what you want: low beam stay on when highs are activated.

Source: I'm running their relay harness in my HID setup

I'll even make it easy for you: Linky

If you're running halogen highs (my setup is a D2S HID low beam and H1 high beam), just go out to autozone or similar and pick up some female 9006 pigtails and use some electrical know-how to make a conversion harness to mate up with the 9006 connector on TRS's relay harness. On my setup, all I had to do was put some spade connectors on the 9006 pigtail harness since that's the connector H1 bulbs use.

edit: I should note that the relay harness only uses one input from the car (passenger or driver's side, your choice, but most likely passenger, since battery connections are on that side for the 7thgens). That said, I'd tape off or make a dummy plug (more recommended way) to protect the unused H4 pigtail from the elements
Thanks so much for the reply! I was debating making one, but it looked a little complicated. I have a little electrical know how, but still it stumps me how the lows cut off when highs turn on. I have spec d halo projector headlights on my 03 civic ex. I wanna put an HID kit into the low beams and I don't have too high of expectations for the projectors, if they work great if not then I'll buy some and make a retrofit. Still got my OEM headlights. But anyways I wanted to know how to wire up the lows to stay on when I flash the highs. Thanks for the info. And just wondering for kicks, is it possible to just ground the high beam negative wire to get the same effect? I think I saw someone with a Silverado that did that (similar setup).