DIY: EBAY FOG LIGHTS w/ EBAY BUTTON

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
DIY: EBAY FOG LIGHTS w/ EBAY BUTTON

ok this is probably the cleanest DIY regarding ebay fog lights. so check it out!

!!!!!!!!MAKE SURE U HAVE THE SAME KIT AS 1ST PICTURE!!!!!!!!!

cutting of the bumper is pretty much self-explainatory...so here is the wiring part!

Old 06-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all
Re: DIY: EBAY FOG LIGHTS w/ EBAY BUTTON

this has got to be the most USEFUL and EASY to understand D.I.Y of all time. Thanks MAN!!!! its exactly what i needed!!!!!
Old 06-24-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^actually there are others...but good one none the less
Old 06-24-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

btw, this is in the wrong forum section...this belongs under the 7thgen DIY section
Old 06-24-2008
Registered!!

aznprid214 has a spectacular aura aboutaznprid214 has a spectacular aura about

hah nice. i never got the relays to work and stuff. i just wired direct. also my ebay switch melted so i got a new one too nice right up and clean pictures
Old 06-26-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

heres my only question on the 8th picture how did you know which plug to cut off the ebay plug and plug into?
Old 06-26-2008
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

took me like 2 hours to cut the bumper because I only cut along the precut groves and not the part of the actual bumper...
Old 06-27-2008
Registered!!

qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

yeah it took me awhile to cut the first one this morning because i didn't have a dremel, after i finished cutting the first one, it took 20 mins to finish cutting the other side because i got the hang of it and found better tools. Finally, i got my fogs installed and it works like magic!
Old 06-28-2008
Registered!!

xmyzteriousx will become famous soon enough

Niiiceee mannn
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point

You've might have just convinced me to go buy some fogs now...
Old 06-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

moved to lighting diys
Old 07-13-2011
Registered!!

theman is an unknown quantity at this point

very nice DIY, i just installed one on mine cheers,
Old 07-20-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Will this work with 2004-2005 fogs? I have a set I want to put on.

Also, can someone explain what the point of plugging it into the car is (2nd last picture)? I thought that the fogs were completely independent from the car apart from the battery
Old 07-20-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Will this work with 2004-2005 fogs? I have a set I want to put on.

Also, can someone explain what the point of plugging it into the car is (2nd last picture)? I thought that the fogs were completely independent from the car apart from the battery
It should work, pretty much all fog light kits work the same. The problem is the color coding of the wires may vary so if you don't understand the principle you might have a problem.

A relay is used because the fog lights draw too much power for a small dash switch to carry. The relay is a switch that turns the fog lights on/off. The switch in the dash turns the relay on and off. The switch needs power for 2 things, it needs power so that when it is on it powers the relay and most switches have a small light inside that needs power. There should be 3 or 4 wires at the switch. A wire from the switch to the relay that will be hot when the switch is on. A wire from a 12v source to the switch that will supply power for the wire to the relay. There may be a seperate wire for the light in the switch or it could use the other 12v source as well. There should also be a ground wire from the switch for the light in the switch.

The 12v source wire at the switch can be conected to the battery but then the fog lights can be on any time and if you forget to turn them off you will have a dead battery. Most people connect that wire to a source that is hot only when the key is on so the fog light turn off whenever the key is off.
Old 07-20-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pjb3
It should work, pretty much all fog light kits work the same. The problem is the color coding of the wires may vary so if you don't understand the principle you might have a problem.

A relay is used because the fog lights draw too much power for a small dash switch to carry. The relay is a switch that turns the fog lights on/off. The switch in the dash turns the relay on and off. The switch needs power for 2 things, it needs power so that when it is on it powers the relay and most switches have a small light inside that needs power. There should be 3 or 4 wires at the switch. A wire from the switch to the relay that will be hot when the switch is on. A wire from a 12v source to the switch that will supply power for the wire to the relay. There may be a seperate wire for the light in the switch or it could use the other 12v source as well. There should also be a ground wire from the switch for the light in the switch.

The 12v source wire at the switch can be conected to the battery but then the fog lights can be on any time and if you forget to turn them off you will have a dead battery. Most people connect that wire to a source that is hot only when the key is on so the fog light turn off whenever the key is off.
Thank you so much for the clear explanation. Repped
Old 07-30-2011
Registered!!

DemikoD is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: DIY: EBAY FOG LIGHTS w/ EBAY BUTTON

This helped me out A LOT!! Thank you. I had the same exact kit minus the sub harness. Had to add some extra wire to reach from the engine bay to underneath the dash. Fogs weren't coming on with the connecters plugged into the fuse box, so I cut those off and tapped into the cig lighter. That did the trick.
Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

canadiankid is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone have some pictures of how to cut the bumper to fit the fogs in?
Old 08-30-2011
Registered!!

Alcolite is an unknown quantity at this point

Bookmarking this, will be looking at this again when the time comes for me to add some fogs. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011
Registered!!

InkedOutEX336 is an unknown quantity at this point

so in the picture where the black wire gets plugged into the 'car'..... what exactly do you mean by 'car'? theres like 8 million wires there by the kick panel
Old 10-06-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

for the record...the 8th picture nobody understands is just an accessory power that only gives 12v when the car is on...and its much easier (to understand and do) to splice it to the cig lighter
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Mikkek is an unknown quantity at this point

i recently got this exact fog light kit for my car and i got erevything mounted and wires ran but im having trouble with with whats in the 10th picture. You say to cut off the plug and connect it into the one in the car but i cant find that plug anywhere. Also can someone explain what they mean with splicing it into the cigarette lighter.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mikkek
i recently got this exact fog light kit for my car and i got erevything mounted and wires ran but im having trouble with with whats in the 10th picture. You say to cut off the plug and connect it into the one in the car but i cant find that plug anywhere. Also can someone explain what they mean with splicing it into the cigarette lighter.
if u post a pic of your harness i can walk you through it. ive installed 2 of these fog light kits on my car now and the harnesses were slightly different.

oh and by splicing into the cigarette lighter you dont use the switch harness. you run the other wire from the relay to the cigarette lighter witch will turn the fogs on whenever the car is on. but if u want to be able to turn them on and off you need the switch

Last edited by pwnsauce; 12-06-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
if u post a pic of your harness i can walk you through it. ive installed 2 of these fog light kits on my car now and the harnesses were slightly different.
I cant get a pic for you right now im gonna try to explain it. From the sub harness there is 2 plugs going to connect to the switch harness. One is the one prong which goes to the harness and then the other plug is the four prong one that only has one wire going to it and his pic below says to put the plug off and plug the wire into a plug from the car and i cant find the plug from the car that he show in the pic. But i dont really understand the point of it since the other end of that wire is a plug to nowhere which i just taped down.
Old 12-06-2011
Registered!!

hmm well if that is the same wire that goes to the one you dont use on this harness then it wouldnt do anything. but if you can remove the wire loom and look at the actual wires its really simple. just the location of the relay and fuse on some of these is kinda odd. does your harness have a 12v power wire that has a ring terminal on the end? most likely red? and should have a fuse on it

anyways essentially all the harnesses should have your harness for the fogs. then you should have 1 wire from there running to the relay. the relay should have 4 wires. one positive for both fogs. one 12v signal wire coming from the switch. a ground wire. then a power wire straight to the battery (fused).

the switch harness has 3 wires. one positive and one negative, for power (leds inside the switch) and a switched wire to the harness

so theoretically that is all you need to hook up.

btw assume any black wire is ground, red is 12v, and your signal is gonna be some other color (my first fog light harness was yellow, now its green)
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

nevermind that black wire he put into the existing plug on the car just skip that.
the red wire going into the fuse box is your switch power wire.
the white one to the fuse box then into a supplied fuse on the harness is your fog light power 12v that should run to the relay.
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

ok thanks im gonna really look at it tomorrow. My set is a lot like the one in the pics below but different colors. The relay and fuse are inside and the power goes to the fuse box. i understand most of it a little bit about wiring stuff i was just confused with whats in the tenth picture.
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

no problem. im not sure what that black wire is intended for lol. but whatever it is its not needed.
Old 01-05-2012
Registered!!

InkedOutEX336 is an unknown quantity at this point

now im having the problem of only one light coming on.... the driver side lights up but the passenger side wont.... the housing and bulb are both good because they work on the other side.... the passenger side has power too and is grounded right the one of the main body grounds above the rad.... cant figure out what the problem is.....
Old 01-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by InkedOutEX336
now im having the problem of only one light coming on.... the driver side lights up but the passenger side wont.... the housing and bulb are both good because they work on the other side.... the passenger side has power too and is grounded right the one of the main body grounds above the rad.... cant figure out what the problem is.....
flip the plug over that goes to the bulb. if the polarity is messed up it wont turn on. also move your ground see if that works, remember if its painted it needs the paint sanded off first. if neither of those fix it start checking for kinks or broken sections in the harness to that one side
Old 01-07-2012
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point

i'll post some pics on the install on the bumper. i don't want to see anyone driving around with their hood open and their foglights sitting on their engine.

Quick Reply: DIY: EBAY FOG LIGHTS w/ EBAY BUTTON