DIY: DC5 Cluster in EM2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TenToesDown will become famous soon enoughTenToesDown will become famous soon enough
DIY: DC5 Cluster in EM2

Recently purchased a DC5 full interior (Dashboard w/ cluster, door panels, and center console).

The full interior conversion was what I had originally planned to do but seemed like to much work at the time so I just decided to do the cluster swap.

The Materials I used:

Soldering Iron
Wire cutters
Heat Shrink
Electrical Tape
Aluminum Sheeting
JB Weld
Rotary tool
Cluster shroud

Note: Disconnect your battery before doing anything.

Begin by cutting the back brackets off the DC5 cluster.
Name:  cimySMi.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  414.9 KB

Optional
In order to have a more flush and stock feel I trimmed the back to the dimensions of the original cluster.
I believe the bottom is cut at a 45 degree angle and the sides at a 60 degree angle.
Name:  oJfWMlR.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  511.0 KB
Name:  FhMY9c0.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  414.1 KB

Also Optional
In order to reduce vibration noises and have a more stock placement, I fabricated brackets that would allow the DC5 cluster to use the original mounting points in the dashboard.
Name:  LV2lQaP.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  610.4 KB

Now what you have to do is cut the plugs off the DC5 wiring harness, and cut the plugs off the EM2 wiring harness.
I do not have a picture of this unfortunately.

(Note: I originally thought I could just remove the pins from the DC5 plug and from the EM2 plug and just re-pin both of them without having to cut the wires.
The only problem with this is that the DC5 pins do not stay inside the EM2 plug.)

Match up the wires by color.
Name:  Npy9lZk.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  135.3 KB
Name:  yMhwtlA.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  116.7 KB

As you will see some of the wires are not used in the DC5 Cluster. Such as washer fluid level and other things.

Name:  yRxCstx.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  488.8 KB
Name:  Ktq2U42.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  454.4 KB

Optional
Use JB Weld to glue the brackets to the cluster.
Make sure they are in the right place.
I don't have any magical method to calibrate the position but what I did was use glue from a glue gun to make sure they were in the right position before I used the JB Weld.
The glue gun peels off easily so you can try as many times as you wish.

Once the brackets are in place and everything is soldered up, turn your car on and make sure everything is functioning properly.

If everything is working wrap everything up with electrical tape, and then use duct tape to insulate everything.

Name:  8ERe7A9.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  568.6 KB

Now for the cluster shroud, what I did was buy another one off eBay so I had my original. Got it for about 15$.
Then use your rotary tool to cut around the shroud to make sure it fits properly in place. This takes time, as you don't want the cut too much. Also you want to cut the bottom clips off the bottom of the shroud. The ones that are supposed to clip into the EM2 cluster.
I will upload a picture of mine soon.

Name:  0NLzdSQ.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  466.7 KB

Name:  1jgYPEQ.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  440.4 KB

Once the shroud is finished, just put it in place and use the original screws and you should be set!

Name:  awRe19G.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  451.9 KB

Name:  XNRmkpQ.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  66.6 KB

I am not sure how to get rid of the abs light right now, but when I find out I will post here.

I think that is everything. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Also I still have a mint condition DC5 dashboard, Door panels, Center Console, and EM2 Cluster with Shroud for sale, if anyone is interested just let me know.

EDIT:
TO GET RID OF THE ABS LIGHT PLACE A 270ohm RESISTOR LEADING TO THE PLUG FROM THE CAR.

Last edited by TenToesDown; 06-26-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2013
skate or die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
Re: DIY: DC5 Cluster in EM2

Nice write up. The gap @ the bottom of the cluster is the only concern. Some people use the shroud.
Old 06-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TenToesDown will become famous soon enoughTenToesDown will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tragedy
Nice write up. The gap @ the bottom of the cluster is the only concern. Some people use the shroud.
Yes the gap was the only problem I had.

I have a little bit of carbon fibre left over from my school project, though so I might make a small cover for it.

If I do I will update this guide.

Thank you for the comment!
Old 06-29-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

neat! good job!
Old 07-09-2013
Registered!!

jringo8769 should not be trusted

looks great makes me want to upgrade. hey are you going to do the rsx steering wheel next?
Old 05-25-2020
Registered!!

Manuvtec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hola buenas , soy de chile , en estos momentos me encuentro cambiando el interior de mí Civic M2 Al igual que tu , pero yo cambié el tablero completo ya y me falta conectar el Sinóptico o tablero del velocímetro dónde van las RPM para ser más claro , ahora que veo esto me ayuda bastante , pero quería saber si tienes los diagramas del panel del aire acondicionado para hacer la misma conversión. De ante mano muchas gracias. Y excelente calidad de trabajo.
Old 05-26-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Service manual (with circuit diagrams) is available at the link below.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...pdated-10.html