Custom Trunk Lid Liner Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011
CivicChick2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all
Custom Trunk Lid Liner Project

I just finished my trunk lid liner that i have been working on. Previously, i had covered my trunk lid interior with dynomat type material to deaden rattling and what-not from my subs. And since my civic doesnt have a lid liner already, ever time you pop the trunk, all you see is ugly silver mat stuff. So, i couldnt find anywhere to buy one, so i decided to make one. and here's how you do it.

Materials you'll need:
1/4" foam board (i had to buy 2 peices)
1 yard of dark gray felt fabric (to match trunk liner color)
spray adhesive
scissors/knife
glue/liquid adhesive
pencil
a few pieces of paper and tape
velcro strips (stick on) - i used a pack with 2 industrial strength strips, and a pack of an 18" long piece.

step 1.
start off by taping up a few pieces of paper together. i used about 8 with a 2 x 4 layout. take it out to your trunk and bring a pencil, and press it against the trunk interior. i used some tape to tape up the top part where i wanted it, then lined with pencil where the edges are. (or you could measure it all out. but i find this easier since there are so many curves).

step 2.
bring that in, get your scissors and cut along the line that you just made. bring it back out once that is done and make any adjustments you need to for the right size. cut it to the correct size.

step 3.
once you have your layout ready, lay it down on your 1/4" foam board. if you can find a long piece of it, that's great. otherwise, use 1 board for 1 half of the layout, and the other board for the other half. trace it all out with pencil. now, you can either use scissors or a knife to cut it out. being that the foam board is pretty stiff, scissors were a pain, but a knife in a sawing motion worked perfect. cut it all out and lay it together.

step 4.
--if you used one piece of 1/4" board, skip this step-- your going to want to either glue your 2 pieces together or use liquid adhesive. i had some liquid adhesive layin around from a previous project, so i used this. apply a generous amount of whatever your using to the edge of one board, and press the other board together. it will have excess being pushed out from between them. using your finger, or something else if you dont wanna touch it, spread the excess along the meeting line of the 2 boards. do this to both sides. (make sure u have something underneath where these 2 boards meet bc it WILL try to stick to whatever is under it. i also cut 2 strips of paper, about 3" x 7", applied glue/adhesive, and layed them down ontop of the crease where the boards meet. at this point, lay it down flat somewhere where it can harden and dry without being touched or bumped.

step 5.
once it is all dry, take it back out to your trunk and get a good feel for it. because of the way our trunks are made, there are the middle pieces on the trunk that make it to where the board will not lay flat. what i did was feel where i needed some extra backing so my board would sit flat. i brought it back in, marked where i needed it and cut out 4 2"x2" squares of the foam board for EACH side. you'll need 8 total. once you have these, you'll want to glue the 4 pieces together to make a block type object. --tip: to get a stronger hold, use a knife and scratch the foam board in criss cross motions, lifting the surface, and giving it more to stick to.

step 6.
now that you have 2 blocks to be put on the board, double check where you are putting them bc they will be glued to the back of the board for support. once you know, glue them down to it, and once again, let the glue dry. i also used another piece of the foam board, about 2" by 5" down the middle, where the 2 boards where glued together, just for more support. kind of like the backbone. you dont have to do this bc it sticks pretty well, but i did just to have it stronger down the middle too.

step 7.
once ALL glue/adhesive is dried, then we can start the fabric part. take your fabric, lay it out over the board, and cut around the edge, leaving about 2 to 3 inches of excess fabric along the edges. get your spray adhesive glue and follow the directions on whatever can you buy. for me, i had to wait about a minute before i layed down my fabric. once its ready, lay the fabric down on the board, going from one end to the other. rub your hand on the fabric, pushing it down to the board and get a good seal with the spray adhesive. dont let it fold up, or have any creases. it should be nice and smooth all over. make sure to rub all the way to the edges so its all glued down. once that's all dry, which doesnt take long, flip it over. here comes the fun part.

step 8.
you have your board flipped over in front of you. your going to want to play with the fabric to decide where to cut so that it will lay flat. where ever there are curves, your going to want to cut at angles in order to lay it down flat. and also, where your blocks are glued down, your going to want to cut around those so there is no fabric on top of them either. once you have that all set, do small sections at a time, and use your spray adhesive, spray, let it tack, and pull the fabric tight and lay it down piece by piece. dont do it all at once. you need to take your time on this part because if you rush, the edges on the front side will not be smooth.

step 9.
once all of it has dried good, and all is smooth, its time to velcro it up. your gonna want to put 2 pieces of velcro on top of your blocks you made. 2 more at the bottom right corners. 1 strip down the middle . and 2 strips on the bottom edges. i also put 2 strips in a diagonal direction where the metal is, but its not needed. **the industrial velcro was used on top of the blocks and at the lower 2 corners. (cut the pieces to fit). and yes, you can put it on top of the felt. it will stick.

this is what it should look like on the front at this point:

and the back of it (with the velcro pieces together) should look like this:

here are close up pics of the left and right sides on the back:

now, take it out to your trunk and very CAREFULLY place it where it is supposed to go. (make sure you remove the backing of the velcro so it will stick where it is supposed to stick). and remember, take your time. once its set, make sure you press firmly down on all the places where the velcro is so it will get a good stick to the trunk interior as well. (i had the fuzzy side stuck to the trunk, and the rougher side stick to the board. dont know if that matters, but thats what i did.)

when it is stuck to your trunk, it should look like this-

now, please ignore the rest of the silver deadener stuff, im going to also make a piece that will cover that up as well. but for the most part, this turned out pretty good. and its simple and fairly easy to do. best part is, you can do whatever you want to really with the fabric. i just chose this bc it matches the other liner fabric in the trunk. ill take better pictures of it tomorrow so you can see it better, this was just a garage shot.. and at an angle.

anyways, hoped this helped anyone who was thinkin of doin it

if you have any questions, let me know, and ill do my best to answer them. and ill also do another write up when i finish the top part of the trunk so everything is covered. more pix to come!
Old 07-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Custom Trunk Lid Liner Project

Excellent Work!

Rep'd you for making the diy.
Old 07-17-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Nice nice. Maybe I'll do this too when I replace the carpet that the stupid rustproofing guy got soaking wet with rustproofing liquid. 10 months later I still can't put anything on the right side of my trunk cause it's still soaked.
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Excellent Work!

Rep'd you for making the diy.
well thank you!
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Nice nice. Maybe I'll do this too when I replace the carpet that the stupid rustproofing guy got soaking wet with rustproofing liquid. 10 months later I still can't put anything on the right side of my trunk cause it's still soaked.
thanks

dang. that sucks.. you should have HIM re-do it lol
Old 07-17-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

"Too Many Nice!" - Ryan Friedlinghaus

Great Job! Looks good, I may try this one even though I don't have a sub box. Just to get rid of the 7th gen rattles.
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by maxtierney
"Too Many Nice!" - Ryan Friedlinghaus

Great Job! Looks good, I may try this one even though I don't have a sub box. Just to get rid of the 7th gen rattles.
thanks! and yeah, i dont blame ya.. it gets pretty bad back there.. and if you put anything on it to stop the rattles, it looks crappy half the time. they should have just made a liner to go on the trunk, but whatever.. i think this is aight.. i just gotta get to work on the harder part now, which is the top area.. that's gonna be a pain. oh well, it'll look good when its all the way finished
Old 07-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Say, where did you buy your fabric from?
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Say, where did you buy your fabric from?
JoAnn's fabric store.. and i just bought 1 yard of felt. they have a lot of different colors, but their dark gray color matches what in the trunk already, so i chose that one. it sticks really well to the spray adhesive too.
Old 07-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

How much do they charge per yard?

I wanna see how they compare to Crutchfield's trunk liner fabric lol
Old 07-17-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by civicchick2001
thanks

dang. that sucks.. you should have HIM re-do it lol
I wish I had spoken up earlier about it tbh. I was too shy to back then and I had only noticed a couple days later anyway. I won't be going back to him though
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

How much do they charge per yard?

I wanna see how they compare to Crutchfield's trunk liner fabric lol

it was like $4.. and a yard is more than enough. i looked at that fabric from crutchfield too, and it didnt seem too different. i mean if u were building like a sub box or something, then yeah, but not somethin simple like this. and this sticks really well with the adhesive spray, and it feels just like ur trunk liner.
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by Brian1037
I wish I had spoken up earlier about it tbh. I was too shy to back then and I had only noticed a couple days later anyway. I won't be going back to him though
i wouldnt either. i'd be ticked if that happened to me. that aint cool.
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

speakin of trunks - i guess this would be a good place to ask it - does anyone have one of those trunk net things? i was readin somethin about em, and supposedly there are hooks to hook up like a cargo net or whatever in our trunks, and i was back there yesterday and i couldnt find nothin. i dont know if what i was readin for for our models or what, but yeah, just curious if anyone has one of these or not?
Old 07-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

You mean the cargo net?
Lol, yes, I have it

Name:  DSCF1877.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  169.8 KB
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

yeah that! supposedly my car came with one, but the dealer didnt have it when i bought it from him.. where can i get one of these and how do you attatch it? i want it so i can actually use my trunk again while still protecting my subs back there. i was thinkin about gettin some of those sub protector things, but they get kinda pricey and not really feelin the look of em.
Old 07-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

You mean a speaker grill? lol

You can prolly get it from Honda or anywhere that sells honda parts
I went down to snap a few pix for you
You can hook it up 2 ways, flat, or up
I like to put it flat, cos as you can see, if I have it up, things will still hit my sub
And I keep things in my trunk that roll around (Like tennis equipment)

There are these **** holder thingies that you can screw into your trunk to hold it
Name:  DSC_0254.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  291.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0255.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  430.2 KB
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

lol yeah. speaker grill. i was sittin here tryin to think of what it was called. lol..

well my main reason for wanting the net was to protect my subs from stuff being against them.. and bc my sub box moves around some in my trunk.. i dont know what else i could use to make that thing stay still. i guess i could get a board or something and just wrap it so you dont notice it and put it flat against the bottom, so the box is in place and wont slide around. i havent used my trunk since i bought the subs cuz i dont wanna mess em up. there is plenty of room though so i can still use it, and i'd like to, but they need to be secure first.

i dunno.
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

thanks for takin those pics for me btw
Old 07-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

No prob,
If i absolutely have to use my trunk for big things (IE. Suitcases, boxes, etc)
I'll just drive around with my sub on Attenuate, or if it's really packed, i just dont listen to music at all

I'm planning on doing a custom trunk like a variation of this:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...pare-tire.html

That's why I was asking you about the fabric
My budget for this project is no more than 50~60 dollars, so if the fabric is the same, I'll just head to JoAnn's
But the 3/4 MDF board is already like $35, hinges $5 +TAX, then another $5-10 for the 3M adhesive spray
That fabric budget is so tiny after...haha

If I make the custom trunk, I can screw small blocks of MDF on all four sides of the bottom of the sub to make it stay still
That might give you some ideas as well
Old 07-17-2011
CivicChick2001

jeez, that is sweet. nice and clean too! i like that a lot. that's somethin that i'd like to do too.. i was in such a bind yesterday when my tire was flat. i paid someone to hook up everything like my subs and amp and everything when i bought it, and whoever did it is stupid. there's a little bit of slack in the cord that connects the subs to the amp, but not enough to take it out. i couldnt even get to my frikken spare tire yesterday, so i ended up walkin to a store to buy fix a flat instead. but this would be perfect, and like you said, screwin in blocks to make that thing stay put. i just love when i open my trunk and the box it right near the front.. and the carpet is all bunched up. it's a pain in the butt.

but yeah, keep me updated if you end up doin this.. it would definetly be something i'd like to do too.

hey, this might be a stupid question, but i have been lookin at a lot of neon tubes and/or strips of blue LED's to put in the trunk, and that pic u have ^ up there of yours all lit up, what did you use and how did you do it? i do have an amp back there, but i dont know if you can hook stuff up to it or what.. i havent touched it at all, and i dont wanna screw anything up.. but i was just curious as to how you wired yours..

oh, one more question while im thinkin about it. where do you order or buy that board from? is that the same board used for sub boxes?
Old 07-17-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Lol, you do know that you can just disconnect the 2 wires from the back of the sub to take em out right?
It's just a pos/neg wire

Anyways...Sorry I took so long to post back...I went down to take pix, came back up, and got distracted by facebook @__@

I totally ghetto rigged my trunk lights, I wanted to have a purple trunk light that covers the whole trunk, and not just the little maplight they had
So anyways, the OEM maplight they had in the trunk has a little plastic cage thing holding it in, you can pop it right out, and behind there, is a harness that plugs into it

What I did was I just used that harness and tapped into it (so my lights would turn on when my trunk was open, and turn off when the trunk was closed)

As you can see from my pictures, I pulled down the wiring so you could see
All I did was stick my wiring into it.

The LEDs are just generic 15" strips that you can get at walmart/autozone (Big hint, they're a bit pricey, if you want them, get them on ebay or online)
As for the MDF board, You can get it at any large hardware store, (IE. Home Depot/Lowes)

Name:  DSC_0255-1.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  221.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0259.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  268.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0263.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  260.0 KB
Old 07-18-2011
CivicChick2001

Lol, you do know that you can just disconnect the 2 wires from the back of the sub to take em out right?
It's just a pos/neg wire

Anyways...Sorry I took so long to post back...I went down to take pix, came back up, and got distracted by facebook @__@

I totally ghetto rigged my trunk lights, I wanted to have a purple trunk light that covers the whole trunk, and not just the little maplight they had
So anyways, the OEM maplight they had in the trunk has a little plastic cage thing holding it in, you can pop it right out, and behind there, is a harness that plugs into it

What I did was I just used that harness and tapped into it (so my lights would turn on when my trunk was open, and turn off when the trunk was closed)

As you can see from my pictures, I pulled down the wiring so you could see
All I did was stick my wiring into it.

The LEDs are just generic 15" strips that you can get at walmart/autozone (Big hint, they're a bit pricey, if you want them, get them on ebay or online)
As for the MDF board, You can get it at any large hardware store, (IE. Home Depot/Lowes
i didnt wanna jack nothin up with my subs and amp cuz i know NOTHING about that stuff. im sure its easy or whatever, but for someone who's never ever had anything to do with it, i aint touchin it without knowin whats up first. lol trust me, i wish i knew everything there is to know about it, but just havent learned it yet..

i like how you have it set up. there's no reason for the lights to be on if the trunk isnt open.. and how you have it is perfect.

BUT, back to this knowin nothin about wiring and what not, i dont know how to "tap into" anything. lol and if you dont wanna explain it all it's cool, but if you wanna, i appreciate it, cuz i would totally do this.

ive seen those strips at autozone and they're priced way too high. ill see if i can find some on ebay. but only if i know what im doin with the wires and what not.
Old 07-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Electrical is probably one of the easiest things you can learn,
Pretty much everything is either a live wire (POS) or ground (NEG)

For your subs, there should a terminal in the back/side that looks like this

Just remember which wire goes to which terminal, and then take it out. Once you're done put it back the same way you found it.

I can try to post up a easy to follow guide, but it'd prolly have to wait till morning, as it's nearly 11PM already :P

Don't worry, if you want to learn, I'll hold your hand thru the whole process.
I had to learn it myself, but once you get it, it's pretty much straight forward.
That is, until you attempt to fix your friend's miata and you tear it apart, and find this.
Then you question what you ever actually knew about anything

Only way to learn is to dive in headfirst
Old 07-18-2011
CivicChick2001

good. lord. i'd look at that and be like NEVERMIND! lol

but yeah, if you wanna teach me about how to hook up those lights like you did in the trunk, that'd be really cool. , and i'd appreciate it a lot. my dad had an electical business my whole life - but never had time to show me anything about it. so ive always had other people do anything electrical. but not sayin i wouldnt wanna learn. but you dont have to get on it asap or nothin, i gotta find some cheap strips of lights first im guessin LED would be the best bet, especially to light it up. i got some neon tubes under my seats, and they're bright but not that bright. (i didnt wire anything with the tubes, it had one of those cigarette lighter plug in things on the end of it, so i bought an extension with like 3 sockets and its under my seat lol)

anyways, i did go out to my trunk and see what you were talkin about on the side of my sub box. if i decide to do this trunk project thing, ill definetly be taking it out, but when i come to that, do i have to do neg then pos or pos then neg? or does it matter? i didnt know if it was anything like the battery.. just dont wanna get zapped. lol

thank you again for helpin me out with stuff..
Old 07-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

I'll draw/write up the instructions later. For now, If you're interested here's the material list.

-12~18 Gauge Tap-in Squeeze connectors/OR 12~18 Gauge Fork Terminals (Either or is fine, anything between 12-18 should be fine)
-LEDs (You can get them from Dealextreme, which is a cool website that has tons of cheap made in china gadgets too)
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/12v-led...33cm-blue-5240

Not sure if they have them in red though... (That is, if you're trying to do what I did)
Old 07-18-2011
CivicChick2001

sweet. is that the strip you have? i saw in a few of the reviews that they blink.. do yours blink? i just want em solid on when the trunk is open or whatever..

it blows my mind how you can go to autozone for the same thing and they charge $20 or more, and these are next to nothin! just crazy.

and where could i find these?
12~18 Gauge Tap-in Squeeze connectors/OR 12~18 Gauge Fork Terminals (Either or is fine, anything between 12-18 should be fine)
Old 07-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Well, assuming your dad does electrical, if u ask him, he'll probably have some laying around.

Otherwise, u shud be able to get them at radioshack

Mine stays solid on
Old 07-18-2011
CivicChick2001

he's retired and stays busy in TN lol

ill just go buy one at radioshack..

did u buy them from the site that you gave me? (the LED strips)
Old 07-18-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Nope, Got em at Walmart for about $12 a piece...sadly lol

Quick Reply: Custom Trunk Lid Liner Project